BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-25-2021, 11:51 PM   #1
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Hi Everyone,

I noticed my rear driver-side tire's tread is chipped and I think a pothole is to blame. Do I need to replace it or can it be smoothed out by the tire shop?

Details:
I hit a pothole a month back. It was not so deep and the impact was also was not that shattering. I did hear a thud noise but it didn't sound like it broke anything. I've heard worse than this and still was fine in my last few BMWs that I have owned.

My car drives straight and there's no air leaking from my tires. I drove on freeway and also in city and I don't feel the car pulling to one side. My tire pressure check out fine.

However I do feel odd and car feels a little bouncy and slippery (it's hard to describe). When I make a turn there seems to be a slight pull, as if I need to rotate the steering slightly more to complete the turn.

Thanks!
Attached Images

2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 02:14 AM   #2
j080808
USA
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i, 440i

There could be some hidden damage under the point of impact that could be causing what you are feeling.

If you are running a square set-up, try moving it to a different position and see how it feels. Or, depending on how many miles are on it, buy two and put them on the same axle. You could always have it road force balanced and see what those results are, but thats mainly for out of round i.e. vibration correction issues.
Appreciate 1
      08-26-2021, 11:46 AM   #3
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by j080808 View Post
There could be some hidden damage under the point of impact that could be causing what you are feeling.

If you are running a square set-up, try moving it to a different position and see how it feels. Or, depending on how many miles are on it, buy two and put them on the same axle. You could always have it road force balanced and see what those results are, but thats mainly for out of round i.e. vibration correction issues.
Thanks, I guess for peace of mind I will take it for an alignment and get all components checked.
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0