BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-04-2021, 03:44 PM   #1
LAKERS333
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Thinking of getting the X5 xDrive45e

Just sold our Chevy Tahoe in this crazy used market and will need another family hauler for my wife.

I was considering the Model Y or X5 Xdrive 45e for gas saving purposes.

Our commutes are not long and I can live with the 31 mile range although we do alot of road trips from LA to Las Vegas and also LA to Mammoth. Just wondering how everyone has liked it so far and if any have similar needs for the car and how do you like it so far?

Thanks all!
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 03:49 PM   #2
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAKERS333 View Post
Just sold our Chevy Tahoe in this crazy used market and will need another family hauler for my wife.

Our commutes are not long and I can live with the 31 mile range although we do alot of road trips from LA to Las Vegas and also LA to Mammoth. Just wondering how everyone has liked it so far and if any have similar needs for the car and how do you like it so far?

Thanks all!
I would get the iX5 at this point if you can wait a bit.
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 03:58 PM   #3
taek
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

X5 won't have anything close to the family hauling capacity of a Tahoe, especially if bags & strollers are also packed for a weekend trip.

The X5 phev is my local/commute/city car, we have a bigger, full ice SUV for family hauling.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 04:00 PM   #4
LAKERS333
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckybadger View Post
It seems the iX version are not coming out till late 2022 summer? probably over 85k?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 04:01 PM   #5
LAKERS333
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taek View Post
X5 won't have anything close to the family hauling capacity of a Tahoe, especially if bags & strollers are also packed for a weekend trip.

The X5 phev is my local/commute/city car, we have a bigger, full ice SUV for family hauling.
I'm not expecting it to be an exact replacement, although something we can use for family of 4 (one stroller) for road trips with large dog.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 04:16 PM   #6
moodyhank82
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 45e & G87 6MT

We have been using our 45e as our family car for almost a year with a 3 year old and 18 month old, double stroller and all the other kid stuff in the trunk. Plenty of space for all our needs and so far 90%+ of our miles have been on electric.
      10-04-2021, 04:33 PM   #7
yanger24
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: x5 45e

We went from an Lexus LX570 to a 45e. Definitely will need to pack lighter but our kids don't require as much anymore. Once every six weeks visits to the gas station is pretty great.
Appreciate 1
      10-04-2021, 05:11 PM   #8
YuicyYumboYack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: the speed limit

Quote:

Thanks all!
I think it's worth doing the math and getting an idea of how much you would actually save by getting a 45e. I think some tend to underestimate the cost of electricity, and I've definitely seen a bump in my electric bill.

Also, have you been able to test drive the x5? The rear leg room isn't great. We have a baby plus a dog, and so the x5 works great for us for now. But if I had another kid that was older, the x5 feels too small.
Appreciate 1
      10-04-2021, 05:38 PM   #9
LAKERS333
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuicyYumboYack View Post
Quote:

Thanks all!
I think it's worth doing the math and getting an idea of how much you would actually save by getting a 45e. I think some tend to underestimate the cost of electricity, and I've definitely seen a bump in my electric bill.

Also, have you been able to test drive the x5? The rear leg room isn't great. We have a baby plus a dog, and so the x5 works great for us for now. But if I had another kid that was older, the x5 feels too small.
I will be going to showrooms this week to get an idea of the leg room and overall space. You make a good point about the electric bill, definitely will consider the increase. I have a 3 week old and a 7 year old, so just hoping it would work. Would rather buy an X5 than to buy a new Tahoe as they are very nice but the gas is just terrible since it has the same 5.3 engine from 2015.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 06:16 PM   #10
Wait What?
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive 45e

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuicyYumboYack View Post
Quote:

Thanks all!

I will be going to showrooms this week to get an idea of the leg room and overall space. You make a good point about the electric bill, definitely will consider the increase. I have a 3 week old and a 7 year old, so just hoping it would work. Would rather buy an X5 than to buy a new Tahoe as they are very nice but the gas is just terrible since it has the same 5.3 engine from 2015.
I think YuicyYumboYack gave you very good advice.

I have a 45e and it is just great size-wise for our family (we have a teenage girl and a lab): you may need more room as the trunk, while spacious, is certainly no match for a Tahoe. You may consider adding a roof box to the X5, which may help provide some additional cargo space. Also, where I am electric rates are definitely lower than in CA.

Having said all that, I love the 45e: it is an incredibly well engineered, very flexible vehicle which is a pleasure to drive: I use it fully electric around town and for short trips in the immediate vicinities and in Sport mode for longer trips on the highway. Great car.

Good luck with your choice!
Appreciate 1
      10-04-2021, 06:30 PM   #11
iceRN09
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340i Xdrive, X5 M50i

Good luck getting an Allocation though... Probably not gonna get one until January and that is paying 3k over premium.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 07:10 PM   #12
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

If you have or can get off-peak power rates, and you have a level 2 EVSE, you can save a fair amount on your electric rates.

One thing some might find useful is a hitch mounted storage box rather than a rof mounted one. That has good and bad effects...no penalty on fuel economy or noise from having something on the roof, but it does disable some safety features when installed because it blocks some of the US sensors and might block the rear camera, depending on which one you install. Many of then swing out of the way so you can access the hatch, so that's not an issue.

I did a 2000-mile + trip in August with a full load. Only was able to recharge part way one night, but averaged about 27-28 mpg with average cruise settings at 75 or so, give or take a little depending on conditions...

Depending on where in CA, because cold impacts your EV miles heavier than warm ones, and where you're driving, 30-miles may be close to your upper range in the US version where they limit the use of the battery pack's capacity more than they do in many other parts of the world. Hasn't been an issue for me, but is an annoyance for some.

The onboard charger is marginal to some, but more than adequate for an overnight full recharge. Almost useless at a stop unless it's free, as most charge by the time you're connected, and that can make it cost more than filling it up with gas.

If you think you might want a bike rack or storage box, or even a trailer back there, get the factory towing package, otherwise, you'll spend lots more, and won't have as much functionality unless you retrofit OEM parts.
Appreciate 1
      10-04-2021, 07:16 PM   #13
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks all!
That is what we are doing. We preordered in first few weeks and we're told to expect in June. Current orders are in next Dec timeframe. But it is looking to be an excellent package.

We currently have a Model Y and range is not an issue. But the iX has more space in the interior and we were considering the Model X but ended up going with the iX

FWIW, the Model Y has more rear legroom than the X5.
Appreciate 1
      10-04-2021, 09:11 PM   #14
penet05
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 Sdrive35i, 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCX5 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks all!
That is what we are doing. We preordered in first few weeks and we're told to expect in June. Current orders are in next Dec timeframe. But it is looking to be an excellent package.

We currently have a Model Y and range is not an issue. But the iX has more space in the interior and we were considering the Model X but ended up going with the iX

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks all!

Just curious, what is your opinion on the Model Y? Fit and finish compare to X5? My wife has a long commute in 3 days a week and looking for alternatives.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 09:36 PM   #15
Jeff661
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX x50 Stormbay Metalic

Garage List
2023 BMW iX x50  [0.00]
I love my 45e. I have two teen kids. My miles are mostly on electricity except for a vacation in San Diego which is about 160 miles from home. Electric miles are much cheaper than gas miles if you charge at home at off peak rates. At 2.2 miles/kwh. At super off peak rates of $.12/kWh = $.054/mile. Compared to ICE. Gas at $4.70/gal. At 26mpg = $.18/mile.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 10:24 PM   #16
mnx5er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 3.5i

Model Y and the X5 45e are two completely different vehicles. X5 is a class up in size and obviously more expensive.

I drove a Model Y for a weekend. Loved the power but hated the lack of refinement, rough suspension, touchy steering, and rough ergonomics. The X5 just feels like more car. I really wanted to like the Model Y, all electric was sure attractive.

45e is a nice compromise, especially if you can take advantage of the tax credit.
Appreciate 1
nathanm4682.00
      10-04-2021, 10:56 PM   #17
LAKERS333
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wait What? View Post
I think YuicyYumboYack gave you very good advice.

I have a 45e and it is just great size-wise for our family (we have a teenage girl and a lab): you may need more room as the trunk, while spacious, is certainly no match for a Tahoe. You may consider adding a roof box to the X5, which may help provide some additional cargo space. Also, where I am electric rates are definitely lower than in CA.

Having said all that, I love the 45e: it is an incredibly well engineered, very flexible vehicle which is a pleasure to drive: I use it fully electric around town and for short trips in the immediate vicinities and in Sport mode for longer trips on the highway. Great car.

Good luck with your choice!
I don't think anything will be like the Tahoe other than a Tahoe.. lol...
Problem is we were tired of the fill ups and the cost seems to be rising rather than going down. I think the highlights for the car seem to be using it round town within its range, the cargo and room not anything close but adding a roof box or small trailer will surely help add any additional room needed for long trips. These are the things that I think I have to weigh out when making the next choice.

Its difficult as I would like an all electric version of a large suv that is priced under 75k , although not much out there currently.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 10:57 PM   #18
LAKERS333
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
If you have or can get off-peak power rates, and you have a level 2 EVSE, you can save a fair amount on your electric rates.

One thing some might find useful is a hitch mounted storage box rather than a rof mounted one. That has good and bad effects...no penalty on fuel economy or noise from having something on the roof, but it does disable some safety features when installed because it blocks some of the US sensors and might block the rear camera, depending on which one you install. Many of then swing out of the way so you can access the hatch, so that's not an issue.

I did a 2000-mile + trip in August with a full load. Only was able to recharge part way one night, but averaged about 27-28 mpg with average cruise settings at 75 or so, give or take a little depending on conditions...

Depending on where in CA, because cold impacts your EV miles heavier than warm ones, and where you're driving, 30-miles may be close to your upper range in the US version where they limit the use of the battery pack's capacity more than they do in many other parts of the world. Hasn't been an issue for me, but is an annoyance for some.

The onboard charger is marginal to some, but more than adequate for an overnight full recharge. Almost useless at a stop unless it's free, as most charge by the time you're connected, and that can make it cost more than filling it up with gas.

If you think you might want a bike rack or storage box, or even a trailer back there, get the factory towing package, otherwise, you'll spend lots more, and won't have as much functionality unless you retrofit OEM parts.
Yes would definitely add the oem tow trailer/package, will need it for the bikes from time to time.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 11:02 PM   #19
LAKERS333
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Its interesting that the Model Y has more legroom, I did notice that it was spacious when I test drove my neighbors MY. The regenerative braking was VERY strange for me and I did not like it much. Initially we wanted a MY, but now not so sure.

How much are the iX5 going for?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 11:11 PM   #20
LAKERS333
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnx5er View Post
Model Y and the X5 45e are two completely different vehicles. X5 is a class up in size and obviously more expensive.

I drove a Model Y for a weekend. Loved the power but hated the lack of refinement, rough suspension, touchy steering, and rough ergonomics. The X5 just feels like more car. I really wanted to like the Model Y, all electric was sure attractive.

45e is a nice compromise, especially if you can take advantage of the tax credit.
This is exactly my thought of the MY when my neighbor let me take it round the neighborhood. Very rough suspension, unrefined, and just felt like driving it on long trips would be exhausting because of the lack of comfort.
I think you are right, even though I have not driven a 45e yet but I would think its much more of a real car feeling and not one bit close to a MY.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 11:17 PM   #21
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

The 45e does have regenerative braking, but in most modes, it really isn't all that strong, and it's definitely not a one pedal drive like say the i3 is/was. FWIW the brakes in the 45e are brake by wire, and the computer blends
regenerative breaking with actually applying the brakes pretty seamlessly so, other than watching the display where it shows power direction, I can't tell when it shifts from regen to actual braking. The brake pedal 'feel' is all synthetic.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 01:49 AM   #22
frenzy757
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MB M2cs, 2022 X5e, 2008 T4R

Ill chime in here - hope it helps.

I had a Model Y performance for about 3 months as our family car. We have one dog and an infant.

For the Model Y:
- Rear legroom is larger in the model y
- All electric is nice around town - range was fine for our needs locally
- IF you need to charge, the Tesla Superchargers are much better than the alternative
- It is fast - very fast
- Low maintenance effort
- Smaller footprint so it fit in the garage a little easier
- I had FSD, and I think the lane tracing was a tad bit better than BMW, but not game changingly better
- App is much better right now (I use Android, and the BMW Android app has issues)

BUT we sold it in 3 months, got the x5e and couldn't be happier. Here is why.
For the X5e
- Ride comfort is game changing. The model y performance is one of the worst riding cars I have ridden in. In my sports cars that is fine, but not as my family car. The model y was more uncomfortable than my Supra, my 2008 4 runner, e46 M3. Yes it was that bad for me and my wife.
- The vegan leather gave my wife headaches and nausea (the smell)
- Our fault (we got white) and my dog's small black hairs got all over and my OCD kicked in. Not Tesla's fault but still just saying.
- FSD isn't worth it. BMW's lane keep does the job and is enough for me. Tesla is no where near 'Full self driving' and won't be for a while. You won't be texting while driving safely anytime soon.
- Build quality sucked. Car was in the shop right away and still had issues here and there
- While leg room was better inthe Y, the shoulder room (width) of the X5 is better. The X5 has acceptable leg room and the width makes it easier for me to fit parents in the back + infant seat. Model Y was tight.
- Better ground clearence on the X5. The Y (Performance) was too low for me for the family car.
- Normal tires in the X5 - I hated the staggered setup on the Y perf. The wheels were too big and easily rashed. I knicked it not on a curb, but on a lip in the road from construction. I had plans to get new wheels and suspension, but didn't feel like doing that for the Y.
- Model Y range sucked on the highway. It is "rated" at 300ish. At highway speeds it is more like 220.
- I go to tahoe often, no way that would work in the Y - sorry if you think it is fine to spend time sitting at chargers often, but I would rather not.
- X5e is enough for my daily commute range wise. And I can take it on road trips
- Android Auto and Carplay are still better for me than Tesla's sytem. I like the maps interface better, and the HUD.
- Ventillated seats + massage in the x5 is really nice. X5 just feels luxurious. Tesla is more akin to a nice appliance.
- No 360 cam on the Y (rumored for a while). Definitely helps when needed.
- No blind spot on the mirrors. Nice to have. I still check manually, but it is nice to also have some extra help.

Hope that helps. Happy to answer questions. It is crazy how bad the Y's ride is compared to the S and X, which I know are much more expensive, but those cars are much nicer to be in and ride in.

Past: a91 ref blue Zupra, 86 Starion, 350z, Supra TT Auto, Supra TT 6 spd, IM/IM E46 M3, BMW 1m Coupe x2, S2000, 987.2 CS, ND2 MX5, LSB e46 M3 x2, 993 911
Appreciate 2