BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-27-2021, 03:09 AM   #1
Mani59
BMW Miniature Collector!
United Kingdom
4985
Rep
7,014
Posts

Drives: E39 530i Champ. & E46 330i Inv
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Leicestershire

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
BMW X5 vs Range Rover Sport vs Porsche Cayenne S Coupe by Rybrook TV

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Quote:
The SUV has seen an explosion in popularity over the last few years, with them proving to be the body style of choice for many consumers. We have such a wide range of SUVs to pick from at Rybrook that we thought we would bring together 3 of our favourites for our second Rybrook Showcase Videos.
__________________


Visit my (mainly) BMW gallery http://jetone.co.uk and my WIP BMW Scale Miniatures Model gallery https://bmwminiatures.co.uk/
Appreciate 2
JustChris13773.00
KRS_SN3349.50
      10-27-2021, 02:13 PM   #2
KRS_SN
Colonel
3350
Rep
2,292
Posts

Drives: G05,F15
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Glasgow

iTrader: (0)

that x5 is a beauty!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 03:35 PM   #3
KCH1984
Major
526
Rep
1,146
Posts

Drives: G05 X5 40d
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Glasgow, Scotland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post
that x5 is a beauty!
Agreed. Dravit grey I think? Kinda regret not going for that myself now.
__________________
Incoming: G05 X5 40d M Sport
Going: F15 X5 30d M Sport
Gone: F30 330d xDrive, F21 M135i, E87 123d
Appreciate 1
KRS_SN3349.50
      10-27-2021, 07:47 PM   #4
KRS_SN
Colonel
3350
Rep
2,292
Posts

Drives: G05,F15
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Glasgow

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCH1984 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post
that x5 is a beauty!
Agreed. Dravit grey I think? Kinda regret not going for that myself now.
yes..I would swap to a dravit too. In the ocean of white bsm cb ag pb.. dg does stand out as an amazing colour.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 10:22 PM   #5
kingmonkeyjr
Lieutenant
189
Rep
414
Posts

Drives: X3M40i, GLC63, E63s, Trackhawk
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (0)

We have the X7 in Dravit. One of the best colors made by BMW in my eyes.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 11:37 PM   #6
Germanauto
Brigadier General
Germanauto's Avatar
United_States
7162
Rep
4,994
Posts

Drives: Alfa Giulia Ti, Rosso
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

X5, despite no longer being a driver's car, is the objectively best vehicle in segment. Easily the best car for the money. The RR Sport wins in style-factor but leases terribly and driving dynamics/interior are sub-par.

I've only driven the Cayenne V6, which I found to be competent but not "fun." Certainly better driving dynamics than the X5, but not worth the price IMO. They are pretty bland looking, very common, and easily sit on dealer lots at prices well above loaded X5s.

Personally my choice would be the RR Sport due to style/uniqueness factor alone. It possesses a panache the others do not. Less of a mom car than the others.
__________________
Former
-2008 E90 328 black/brown
-2012 Lexus IS250 black/black
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 09:34 AM   #7
BYEIL
Ultimate Driver
BYEIL's Avatar
United_States
812
Rep
919
Posts

Drives: X7 M50i SOLD
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Chicago Burbs

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
X5, despite no longer being a driver's car, is the objectively best vehicle in segment. Easily the best car for the money. The RR Sport wins in style-factor but leases terribly and driving dynamics/interior are sub-par.

I've only driven the Cayenne V6, which I found to be competent but not "fun." Certainly better driving dynamics than the X5, but not worth the price IMO. They are pretty bland looking, very common, and easily sit on dealer lots at prices well above loaded X5s.

Personally my choice would be the RR Sport due to style/uniqueness factor alone. It possesses a panache the others do not. Less of a mom car than the others.

I donít understand your statement at all. The RR looks basically unchanged since 2013. Itís the Wrangler of luxury SUVís. Bland and boring In comparison to the X5. Iíve never understood the appeal behind modern day RRís. Especially with their terrible reliability ratings.
Appreciate 3
      10-29-2021, 11:19 AM   #8
Germanauto
Brigadier General
Germanauto's Avatar
United_States
7162
Rep
4,994
Posts

Drives: Alfa Giulia Ti, Rosso
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYEIL View Post
I donít understand your statement at all. The RR looks basically unchanged since 2013. Itís the Wrangler of luxury SUVís. Bland and boring In comparison to the X5. Iíve never understood the appeal behind modern day RRís. Especially with their terrible reliability ratings.
To each their own. And my folks have had two X5s prior to their current which crapped out at 70-80k miles, so the X5 isn't a model citizen of reliability either.

The RR Sport, in my opinion, looks way more macho and stylish than competitors. The X5 looks like a mom car and those are the only people I see driving them. Call me a douche but that lessens the appeal to me.
__________________
Former
-2008 E90 328 black/brown
-2012 Lexus IS250 black/black
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 12:32 PM   #9
BYEIL
Ultimate Driver
BYEIL's Avatar
United_States
812
Rep
919
Posts

Drives: X7 M50i SOLD
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Chicago Burbs

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
To each their own. And my folks have had two X5s prior to their current which crapped out at 70-80k miles, so the X5 isn't a model citizen of reliability either.

The RR Sport, in my opinion, looks way more macho and stylish than competitors. The X5 looks like a mom car and those are the only people I see driving them. Call me a douche but that lessens the appeal to me.
Crapped out at 70k-80k is a very generic statement. LR has had reliability in the toilet for around 20 yrs. Anyone with access to Google should know better than to buy one. Problem is they are popular with the Karen crowd so when one pulls up to the school drop off with one itís a domino affect.

Personally I donít care if a mom, dad, garbage man or crossing guard drives the car I like. If I like it Iím going to buy it.
Appreciate 1
PABrian93.00
      10-29-2021, 12:40 PM   #10
FCX5
Lieutenant Colonel
FCX5's Avatar
United_States
1082
Rep
1,574
Posts

Drives: X5 50i
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Washington, DC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
X5, despite no longer being a driver's car, is the objectively best vehicle in segment. Easily the best car for the money. The RR Sport wins in style-factor but leases terribly and driving dynamics/interior are sub-par.

I've only driven the Cayenne V6, which I found to be competent but not "fun." Certainly better driving dynamics than the X5, but not worth the price IMO. They are pretty bland looking, very common, and easily sit on dealer lots at prices well above loaded X5s.

Personally my choice would be the RR Sport due to style/uniqueness factor alone. It possesses a panache the others do not. Less of a mom car than the others.
I agree with you! Interestingly I have owned the last gen of all of these! The X5 is indeed the best value for money. But I have a soft corner for the RRS only because of how much I enjoyed it. On ski trips in any weather conditions, or trips to the beach, the RRS was the most comfortable because of the interior space, the rear seats and an absolutely amazing sound system. The Cayenne S was great to drive as a DD, but was not good in the snow and just not as great for road trips. The only reason I didn't get another RRS is because they are expensive, difficult to find and very difficult to get discounts. Even used ones are very expensive. The X5 is all around the better value...and in fact when my wife decided to pre-order the BMW iX to replace her Model Y, one reason was she felt the iX was more like a RRS. Go figure!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 12:47 PM   #11
FCX5
Lieutenant Colonel
FCX5's Avatar
United_States
1082
Rep
1,574
Posts

Drives: X5 50i
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Washington, DC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYEIL View Post
I donít understand your statement at all. The RR looks basically unchanged since 2013. Itís the Wrangler of luxury SUVís. Bland and boring In comparison to the X5. Iíve never understood the appeal behind modern day RRís. Especially with their terrible reliability ratings.
These days even the lowest rated cars have good overall reliability. I've owned a RRS for 4 years and it was pretty reliable and I would one again in a heart beat (if any thing, I liked it more than the Cayenne S we replaced it with). The infotainment system had bugs (which is overwhelmingly what people reports for reliability issues these days for any car) but it didn't make much of a difference in driving the car. I've had fewer issues with iDrive, but it does have issues here and there...LR needs to improve their Infotainment system (which I hear is pretty good now).

The problem with RRS is that they are hard to find and pretty expensive (for me at least).
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 12:56 PM   #12
goobies818
Private First Class
70
Rep
132
Posts

Drives: BMW X5 M50i
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCX5 View Post
These days even the lowest rated cars have good overall reliability. I've owned a RRS for 4 years and it was pretty reliable and I would one again in a heart beat (if any thing, I liked it more than the Cayenne S we replaced it with). The infotainment system had bugs (which is overwhelmingly what people reports for reliability issues these days for any car) but it didn't make much of a difference in driving the car. I've had fewer issues with iDrive, but it does have issues here and there...LR needs to improve their Infotainment system (which I hear is pretty good now).

The problem with RRS is that they are hard to find and pretty expensive (for me at least).
I think reliability surveys have to be taken with a grain of salt. As you mentioned...much of the problems for cars are derived from the infotainment. But publications tend to lump all "problems" together...minor creeks and rattles to full on engine meltdowns.

IMO...there should be a sliding scale as to what constitutes a "problem". My eyes bug out when i see things like JD Power with their survey results and say "car X had reported an average of 103 issues for every 100 cars" and i'm like "huh?"

Furthermore, i think you have to just look at the buyer as well. if you're plunking down well in excess of 100K on a RR...you're going to expect that thing to be perfect...and any slight issue will make your blood boil. Not saying that won't be a similar case of a Kia purchaser...but i think you can follow my logic.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 01:48 PM   #13
KRS_SN
Colonel
3350
Rep
2,292
Posts

Drives: G05,F15
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Glasgow

iTrader: (0)

where I live RRS and cayennes are almost exclusively a mom mobile. I do see a lot of guys driving the X5. The box with wheels design of RRS does nothing for me. Macho
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:35 PM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST