BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-09-2021, 11:11 AM   #507
jayalways
Rep
Drives: X5

11/01 - Production begins
11/09 - Deletion of Backup Assistant

So even after the VIN is generated, things can change before they finish the build.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 11:24 AM   #508
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayalways View Post

So even after the VIN is generated, things can change before they finish the build.
Generally that does not happen but in this case it seems they are waiting to add the Deletion until assembly is close/has started, finished to do it. Makes sense if they are getting some touch screens that can be used at times.
      11-09-2021, 01:17 PM   #509
Mars_red
Rep
Drives: Bmw x5

Quote:

We have the same timeline
My build shows the deletion today.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 01:27 PM   #510
eveneziano90
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 F97 X3M ZCP Toronto Red

Quote:

Yup, my build started on Nov 1st and just checked and also have the Deletion listed under my standard options. :-(

Past: F80 M3 ZCP; G01 X3; F30 M340i; F32 428i GranCoupe; E46 330xi; E36 328is
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 01:30 PM   #511
dananelson1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 X5 45e, 13 X5xdrive50i SOLD

I think you've nailed it right here. There are so many unknown future variables that will influence future values. In a vacuum IF ALL else was equal, sure most buyers would rather have a touchscreen (not a guarantee though - ex. if touchsceens today feel laggy, slow, and dated in 3-4 years vs the new ones then maybe idrive feels less dated?). But in the real world, buyers look at year, color combo, miles, vehicle history (mechanical and otherwise), and then they look at major items with the biggest being Msport pack or not.

For the 45e the biggest variable, and one I really tried to think through before ordering, is that Fact that:
1. PHEV is a stepping stone technology; and
2. Battery Range and efficiency WILL increase. Thus a 30ish mile range today vs a new 2024 that has an 100 mile range (example) won't sound great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kplatinum777 View Post
Right. The bad part of BMW having so many options is that it's very hard to shop for a used car and filter down to exactly what you want.

The good part (if you're a used buyer) is that it scarcely seems to affect resale value, and the cars all pretty much level out based on mileage, condition, powertrain (sDrive40i vs xDrive40i vs M50i, etc) and the major and obvious options (M Sport, MultiContour seats, adaptive cruise, etc). That means you--as the second-hand buyer--don't often get upcharged for odd features you may want, just because there's little ability to do so. It also means that you--as the original buyer--don't get penalized if you don't tick every option box, come trade-in time.

I've never seen anyone--especially a non-BMW dealer--say "Well, we're charging $800 more because this one has the Merino leather rather than the Vernasca." Or, "We're offering you less because you don't have the running boards, the Alcantara headliner, or the retractable cargo cover." And I hardly think dealerships are going to be so granular as to pay attention to whether a car has the touchscreen or not, and to buy or price it accordingly.

Keep in mind that BMW didn't even start offering touchscreens until around the 2016/17 model years--long after most other manufacturers had--so there is going to be a good number of people who just never realize it's missing. Also, keep in mind that some manufacturers have gone from touchscreen to non-touchscreen interfaces, and then back again on some models.

For example: the Lexus RX had a touchscreen through the entirety of its first- (1998-2003) and second-generation (2004-2009) runs. For the third-generation (2010-2015), it had the mouse-controller thing. That carried on to the fourth-generation model (2016+)...but during the 2020 facelift, they replaced the mouse controller with a touchpad and moved the display several inches forward so that it could be used as a touchscreen again. Meanwhile, the GX used a pretty dated system until 2022, but has maintained a touchscreen the entire time.

People are just used to that feature varying by brand, and even coming and going within brands and on certain models.
Appreciate 1
      11-09-2021, 02:33 PM   #512
hulu
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 x40i

Another variable to add if you are considering the E part is the battery life.

For a 30 mile range battery, you probably will use way more charge circle than the 100 miles ones.

I don't know how many life the battery will hold after 3 years - maybe 20000/30 = 700 charge circle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dananelson1 View Post
I think you've nailed it right here. There are so many unknown future variables that will influence future values. In a vacuum IF ALL else was equal, sure most buyers would rather have a touchscreen (not a guarantee though - ex. if touchsceens today feel laggy, slow, and dated in 3-4 years vs the new ones then maybe idrive feels less dated?). But in the real world, buyers look at year, color combo, miles, vehicle history (mechanical and otherwise), and then they look at major items with the biggest being Msport pack or not.

For the 45e the biggest variable, and one I really tried to think through before ordering, is that Fact that:
1. PHEV is a stepping stone technology; and
2. Battery Range and efficiency WILL increase. Thus a 30ish mile range today vs a new 2024 that has an 100 mile range (example) won't sound great.
Appreciate 2
      11-09-2021, 02:44 PM   #513
Walrusmode
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulu View Post
Another variable to add if you are considering the E part is the battery life.

For a 30 mile range battery, you probably will use way more charge circle than the 100 miles ones.

I don't know how many life the battery will hold after 3 years - maybe 20000/30 = 700 charge circle?
Yeah makes sense but that is what it is with all technology - it will always get better and you can keep waiting or enjoy the car today. Anyone buying a used BMW is someone who isn't going to be looking at a brand new because of both price and the ability to get something immediately rather than order - two different customer segments.

At this point I don't want to go any crazier thinking about, going to accept delivery and figure out what to do with the car once things settle down, knowing I will lose money for a trade-in 1-3 years down the road but that would happen w/ or w/out touchscreen. I think the difference will be marginal, subjectively of course.
Appreciate 1
      11-09-2021, 03:01 PM   #514
hulu
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 x40i

Yes I agree with you. Who knows what will hapen in 2/3/4 years.

What bothers me right now is not resell.

It's a scene of:
There is a button right there on the touchless screen;
I have to scroll, turn, up down right left to click on the button. (like older days you do web browsing with a keyboard mobile phone)

I will feel like the button is laughing at me.

And and more, if BMW brings back the touchscreen in several weeks, it's like BMW is laughing at me too.

I'm not a BMW fan, so I'm afraid there is not enough enthusiasm inside me to overcome the frustrating...

If it's a Mini, it will be another story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walrusmode View Post
Yeah makes sense but that is what it is with all technology - it will always get better and you can keep waiting or enjoy the car today. Anyone buying a used BMW is someone who isn't going to be looking at a brand new because of both price and the ability to get something immediately rather than order - two different customer segments.

At this point I don't want to go any crazier thinking about, going to accept delivery and figure out what to do with the car once things settle down, knowing I will lose money for a trade-in 1-3 years down the road but that would happen w/ or w/out touchscreen. I think the difference will be marginal, subjectively of course.
Appreciate 1
      11-09-2021, 04:01 PM   #515
Mckelvie37
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

Given the marketplace I certainly think the touchscreen will be a factor just as the other options are. If there are 5-6 used cars on the market with similar options and prices, and one doesn't have the touchscreen ability, which one do you think might not make the cut? It'll come down to a myriad of choices that will certainly weigh in the decision making process. For some it's a deal breaker as evidenced here.

What's more disappointing as a first time BMW owner (to be), is the clear lack of communication from BMW. From unknown software updates, availability, and this being "optional" equipment according to BMW Genius emails, customer service 101 includes managing expectations. As such, we should've been notified from BMW that our order wasn't quite as expected. Instead we found out about it in a forum. Letting dealers contend with customers frustrations doesn't exactly instill confidence in their customer service either. To watch them fumble this decision making process is tough as I really want to be a fan. From a customer perspective, it's not a hard decision to make but it's apparent where their priorities lie.
Appreciate 4
      11-10-2021, 10:57 AM   #516
liroyan
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

I emailed BMW CEO and cc'ed BMW genius last week. On Tuesday someone called me to follow up, and asked "what's the ideal outcome you're seeking". They really got my hope up and I said, "I can understand the supply chain issue so I just hope BMW can retrofit this in the future when they have the parts. If so I don't even care about the five hundred credit."
They said they'll reach out and see what can be done.
Then today they called again, confirmed that "there will be no retrofit in the future, once a car is produced we don't change hardware, since it'll break the integrity of the car. no bmw authorized dealer will do the retrofit."
The dude obviously thought it doesn't make sense that if you bought parking assistant you got a feature deletion for nothing. But as he said, it's the decision of executive committee.
He even asked his manager "if we can do something as a good gesture." And got declined.
at this point I feel bmw's gesture is just a middle finger, wrapped by five hundred bills.
Appreciate 3
hulu106.00
GrussGott18183.50
      11-10-2021, 11:28 AM   #517
DeYanko
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by liroyan View Post
I emailed BMW CEO and cc'ed BMW genius last week. On Tuesday someone called me to follow up, and asked "what's the ideal outcome you're seeking". They really got my hope up and I said, "I can understand the supply chain issue so I just hope BMW can retrofit this in the future when they have the parts. If so I don't even care about the five hundred credit."
Then today they called again, confirmed that "there will be no retrofit in the future, once a car is produced we don't change hardware, since it'll break the integrity of the car. no bmw authorized dealer will do the retrofit."
The dude obviously thought it doesn't make sense that if you bought parking assistant you got a feature deletion for nothing. But as he said, it's the decision of executive committee.
He even asked his manager "if we can do something as a good gesture." And got declined.
at this point I feel bmw's gesture is just a middle finger, wrapped by five hundred bills.
Not cool!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 11:49 AM   #518
Walrusmode
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Wow, structural integrity??? Give me a break. It's just a new touch screen unit with a new chip inside. If for some reason the infotainment, touchscreen or not stopped working, it would be exact same fix under warranty or not.

This pales in comparison to more serious recalls that require core vehicle driving components to be fixed or replaced.

BMW just doesn't want to commit to anything because they don't have a sense of the volume of retrofits they may have to do.
Appreciate 1
KLCC79.50
      11-10-2021, 02:30 PM   #519
3Wagon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 325iT

Quote:

Yup. this happened to many people including myself, despite those insisting it "never happens".
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 05:01 PM   #520
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Nice job! If you didn't record it, I'd write up some great notes with dates & times of communications, names of people, and all of your recollection of what was said.

When the class action firm calls you, you'll get a little something extra for your contribution
Appreciate 2
      11-10-2021, 09:53 PM   #521
pwnagiux
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 Xdrive 40i

Is the software update confirmed coming Nov 11?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 10:01 PM   #522
kplatinum777
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwnagiux View Post
No idea. My car is already at the dealership, and is awaiting its software update, so I’ll be one of the first people to know when they deploy it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 10:03 PM   #523
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwnagiux View Post
In BMWNA's email to dealers it said the software would be available as of November 11. Obviously that could have changed.
      11-11-2021, 08:23 AM   #524
Ghines1279
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Garage List
2007 e92 335i  [0.00]
I got a call from my salesman today on my 45e. Has been at the dealership for over a week waiting for the software. He said he went over to the service manager this morning and they don’t have it yet, and they don’t have any updates. So just waiting. Today would have been a good day to take delivery as I am off work for Veterans Day.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2021, 05:23 PM   #525
Ghines1279
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 e92 335i  [0.00]
I would be interested if anyone was able to negotiate anything additional to the $500.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2021, 06:07 PM   #526
RgDawgs
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghines1279 View Post
I would be interested if anyone was able to negotiate anything additional to the $500.
Although I agree the $500 seems low, not sure what leverage you have negotiating for more. The reality is the dealer can probably sell these in a few days. Never hurts to try…
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2021, 06:54 PM   #527
Ghines1279
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 e92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RgDawgs View Post
Although I agree the $500 seems low, not sure what leverage you have negotiating for more. The reality is the dealer can probably sell these in a few days. Never hurts to try…
Yeah, not a lot of negotiation power. Was happy they were only going to charge me msrp. Other dealer in town has $5k market adjustments. The back up assistant I could care less. If they could pass the EV credit as cap deduct on a lease I could live with it. Turn it in after a couple years and be done. These cars made without advertised STANDARD features will be black sheep.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2021, 07:30 PM   #528
ramblingpolak
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X5 45e (PN allocated)

Garage List
2022 X5 45e  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghines1279 View Post
If they could pass the EV credit as cap deduct on a lease I could live with it. Turn it in after a couple years and be done. These cars made without advertised STANDARD features will be black sheep.
💯
Appreciate 0