E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Oil, Smoke Cloud at high rpm

12-22-2021, 10:36 PM   #1
sicktim
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i 6MT

Oil, Smoke Cloud at high rpm

Within the last week my e92 (N51 engine) was acting up.... super loud screeching noise (which was the PCV or Crankcase Breather) and a huge cloud of oil when hard accelerating. like not just a little oil smoke, like a cloud of smoke thick enough to cause traffic to slow down and people turn on their hazards. Think rave...

I thought I could tackle this, but I was wrong. I brought it to a euro shop and they confirmed that the breather was the cause of the loud screeching noise (by opening up the oil cap and the noise disappeared). Unfortunately it is integrated into the valve cover so that was expensive. Additionally, the eccentric sensor also became faulty. $1800 worth of parts and labor later, the screeching PCV or CCV is fixed, but it still leaves a cloud of oil smoke under heavy load/high RPM. It then starts misfiring that can only be reset by restarting the engine.

I'm perplexed and could use some help.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2021, 11:45 PM   #2
F31B48
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW G21 E61 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicktim View Post
Within the last week my e92 (N51 engine) was acting up.... super loud screeching noise (which was the PCV or Crankcase Breather) and a huge cloud of oil when hard accelerating. like not just a little oil smoke, like a cloud of smoke thick enough to cause traffic to slow down and people turn on their hazards. Think rave...

I thought I could tackle this, but I was wrong. I brought it to a euro shop and they confirmed that the breather was the cause of the loud screeching noise (by opening up the oil cap and the noise disappeared). Unfortunately it is integrated into the valve cover so that was expensive. Additionally, the eccentric sensor also became faulty. $1800 worth of parts and labor later, the screeching PCV or CCV is fixed, but it still leaves a cloud of oil smoke under heavy load/high RPM. It then starts misfiring that can only be reset by restarting the engine.

Wouldn't this be covered by the extended warranty for sulev n51?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2021, 06:42 AM   #3
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvaBmw View Post
Quote:

Even then, seems really pricey for work that can be done in 3 hours.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2021, 08:48 AM   #4
sicktim
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjahl View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Even then, seems really pricey for work that can be done in 3 hours.
what is this extended warranty you speak of? I have a CPO and that expired at 50,000.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2021, 08:04 PM   #5
F31B48
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW G21 E61 LCI

Quote:
what is this extended warranty you speak of? I have a CPO and that expired at 50,000.
There's a large thread on this site about it. Try searching for it. I think if it's an SULEV N51 then emissions related engine faults are covered by an extended warranty for 10 or 15 years. I can't remember the exact details.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2021, 10:49 PM   #6
sicktim
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
There's a large thread on this site about it. Try searching for it. I think if it's an SULEV N51 then emissions related engine faults are covered by an extended warranty for 10 or 15 years. I can't remember the exact details.
It looks like it's covered. I wonder how choosing my own mechanic fits into the warranty picture. My gut tells me they should honor it but at a great pain in the ass for me. I think there are laws that allow me to choose my own mechanic without voiding the warranty but not sure if they will honor the warranty if the specific work was not done by BMW.

That being said, speaking to the SA gave me the impression that they try to keep these kind of services from coming in. "You have to pay a non refundable $250 for the service." "Looks like we could schedule you in 3 weeks." (They have 30 days by law)
Appreciate 0