E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Does your Xi 6-speed transmission grind?

11-27-2008, 12:40 AM   #1
motojoeN54
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Atl. Blu. Met. 335Xi Cpe

Does your Xi 6-speed transmission grind?

I’ve been waiting for years to buy my first BMW after a lifetime of owning and driving other performance cars and motorcycles. I’m trying to buy the perfect, ultimate all-rounder and so I test drove a brand new 09 335Xi 6M Coupe the other night. Not only did I not like the cup holder and was intensely disappointed by the toy-like Nav system, but I may have found the deal breaker in the shifter while moving up or down into 2nd gear. Every time I went from 1st or 3rd into 2nd, (and I did that a lot since I’m a real shifter-holic), I experienced a grinding catch. Yes, the clutch was all the way down every time. Granted, I’ve been spoiled by the snikity-snick shifter and brutish performance of my tuned ’97 Integra GS-R., but I purchased that car for $20K brand new 12 years ago, and it is the smoothest, most gratifying shifter I’ve ever driven. Now here’s this Ultimate Uber mark that will cost me over 53-large that has a trans that promises to drive me bonkers with constant frustration, should I decide to bite. So I’ve suspended my purchase plans until I hear from you guys. Does anyone out there have a 6-speed with this same sticky shifter behaviour? Are they ALL like this? Does the grinding catch smooth itself out and get better over time and mileage? Is there a fix? Incidentally, I absolutely refuse to get the auto with the piddle paddles. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Last edited by motojoeN54; 11-27-2008 at 12:44 AM.. Reason: Want to add "manual" to transmission question.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2008, 03:23 AM   #2
RDHTran
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 e90 330i

yeah man I think I know what you talking about. I have the same feeling in first and second, I thought somthing was wrong with the car but after asking a few people with the same car they assured me that this is perfectly normal and this is the way BMW does it. It doesnt seem right but they said it gives it more of a sportier feeling them a smoother shift.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2008, 05:02 AM   #3
HERR FSTIR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2C, VO 1M, GSA 1200

Garage List
I have never encountered this problem (September 2008 build e92 335xi)

My only complaints with the 6MT are long throws (sort of fixable with SSK), a little rubbery feeling, and presence of CDV (fixable).

The suspension setup on the xdrive models is more of a problem than the 6MT (also fixable for $2K).
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2008, 02:22 PM   #4
motojoeN54
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Atl. Blu. Met. 335Xi Cpe

Thanks for the feedback, Rtran and Herr Fstir. Interesting for sure. Herr F., perhaps because of the short and limited test drive I didn't notice the suspension too much. What Xdrive set up problems do you mean? And what are SSK and CDV (do you mean torque steer), please?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2008, 09:45 PM   #5
OverDrive
CHEAT TO WIN!!
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, 718 GT4

My December 2007 build 335xi had that too, but it went away a little after the break-in period. I wouldn't worry about it. If it still worries you, do the CDV (clutch delay valve) removal mod and that will take care of everything as other members have said.
      11-27-2008, 09:59 PM   #6
TwinTurboXI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

I miss my 1 to 2 shift sometimes and it grinds. I would not say it happens often but i guess enough for me to mention it. On my previous car which was a 6 speed 2005 330 zhp the shifting was beautiful and i almost never would grind any gear... That being said, i love my 335xi. Still makes me smile everytime i drive it.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2008, 11:42 PM   #7
pdjafari
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Axe Murderer with headlights

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTurboXI View Post
I miss my 1 to 2 shift sometimes and it grinds. I would not say it happens often but i guess enough for me to mention it. On my previous car which was a 6 speed 2005 330 zhp the shifting was beautiful and i almost never would grind any gear... That being said, i love my 335xi. Still makes me smile everytime i drive it.
omg i get this too, makes me feel like i let off the clutch 2 quick before engaging into 2nd. Usually only happens when the cars real cold too..
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2008, 02:03 AM   #8
que2k
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335xi Sedan

OP:

I just picked up my 6MT 335xi sedan in August and I also came from driving an integra for the past 10yrs. I didnt have a GSR, only an RS but everyone out there seems to agree that the integra transmission was one of the best ones out there.

I have also noticed that my 335xi transmission is somewhat clunky, 1st - 2nd is kinda of a grind and the throws are long.

However - I love my new car, I finally got past the the break in period (its not my daily driver) and have started to push the car harder and its amazing. Like a couple of posters have noted you can get a SSK, CDV etc to aleviate the problems.
      11-28-2008, 09:49 AM   #9
Winston Wolf
Tax Paying, Gun Toting American Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi

You will need to remove the CDV and install a short shifter kit. It will shift and engage just fine then. My car does not grind. However, sometimes when downshifting into second during hard, high RPM driving, it goes into gear a bit hard. Overall, it works well and is a good shifting and driving transmission.
      11-28-2008, 12:15 PM   #10
halB
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: W211 E350 4M MkV GTI 987.2 S

Definitely should remove the CDV first. You wil notice a big difference.

10 987.2 S w/Leather sport seat, Sport Chrono, 19" Carrera S II wheels
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2008, 02:58 PM   #11
scheherazade
Major
Rep
Drives: 09 GTR (& 93' accord!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by motojoeN54 View Post
I’ve been waiting for years to buy my first BMW after a lifetime of owning and driving other performance cars and motorcycles. I’m trying to buy the perfect, ultimate all-rounder and so I test drove a brand new 09 335Xi 6M Coupe the other night. Not only did I not like the cup holder and was intensely disappointed by the toy-like Nav system, but I may have found the deal breaker in the shifter while moving up or down into 2nd gear. Every time I went from 1st or 3rd into 2nd, (and I did that a lot since I’m a real shifter-holic), I experienced a grinding catch. Yes, the clutch was all the way down every time. Granted, I’ve been spoiled by the snikity-snick shifter and brutish performance of my tuned ’97 Integra GS-R., but I purchased that car for $20K brand new 12 years ago, and it is the smoothest, most gratifying shifter I’ve ever driven. Now here’s this Ultimate Uber mark that will cost me over 53-large that has a trans that promises to drive me bonkers with constant frustration, should I decide to bite. So I’ve suspended my purchase plans until I hear from you guys. Does anyone out there have a 6-speed with this same sticky shifter behaviour? Are they ALL like this? Does the grinding catch smooth itself out and get better over time and mileage? Is there a fix? Incidentally, I absolutely refuse to get the auto with the piddle paddles. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Yeah... I know what you mean.
While mine doesn't grind per say, the shift action is really poor.

My evo's shifts were WAY more solid.
Both the evo and the 335 have a notchy feeling when engaging, but the evo's shifter was pretty much set in stone. The evo had no wobble, and each gear gave firm feedback, letting you know that the gear is in and isn't moving anywhere.

But my honda has the best feeling shift I've ever had. I really wish that people would make transmissions that have action like my old 93 accord.
I can shift 1-2-3-4 in under a second (fully engaging each gear. [edit : redline 1st at start]), without letting off of the gas even once. I've never had another car that shifts as well. Gears just fall in. No resistance at all. No notchiness, no anything. Just fall in. The shifter isn't as firm/solid as the evo was, but it's no worse than the bmw.

My biggest issue with the BMW is that the transmission just won't engage easilly.
Sometimes I want to put it into 1st or reverse, and it just REFUSES to engage, no matter how hard I push.
I have to resort to putting it into another gear first (usually 2nd), only after that will 1st or reverse engage.
It's a real PITA, and I just can't shift fast because half the time the gears just catch and refuse to go in on the first try.
(not talking about grinding, there is 0 grinding. clutch all the way down. It just feels like it's hooking/snagging on crap and won't go in).

-scheherazade
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2008, 04:10 PM   #12
BavarianBullet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi S5

My own 335XI had issues with the shifter on the 1-2 shift as well. there's something not entirely right about it from a design standpoint.

I installed the BMW SSK lever ($70) and noticed that 2nd gear was just as bad as with the stock shifter. 2-3 and 3-4 are trouble-free and smooth, however.

What I did eventually find out was that part of the design defect of the 6MT shift linkage is that which direction you pull the lever to get the car into 2nd makes a difference. Thus unless my forearm is perfectly in line with the centerline of the car, 2nd gear upshifts tend to have a feeling like the synchro just doesn't want to do it's job at anything but slow shift speeds.

In other words, unless I make a conscious decision to kick my elbow out to the right a little more when pulling back on the shifter, I get a lot of resistance. A sort of "clunk-clunk" going into 2nd rather than just single "clunk" going into the other gears.

Aftermarket shifters are supposed to clear this up but at over $300, they're not cheap and many supposedly do not fit the XI.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2008, 07:41 AM   #13
cycler
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Streetglide and 2011 Dyna

I know the feeling. So I did the CDV mod. But the most important mod was putting in a UUC short shift kit. That made a world of difference. You cant imagine the difference that UUC will make for your car. Blows the BMW short shift kit out of the water. (had it in my car as well)
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2008, 12:54 PM   #14
NM_BMW
Vishnu Powered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi, S1000RR

The problem seems to be the shift lever. Replacing the CDV will not fix the 1-2 notchy shift. Even the BMW short shift lever will not fix the issue, though the throws are a lot shorter, but the 1-2 shift is just as bad as with the stock lever. UUC's current kit will work for the XI, but it is a PITA to install because you have to drop the transfer case in order to get to the shifting carrier because the UUC kit replaces the stock carrier. THIS IS ONLY ON XI's hence the transfer case. BMW's levers can easily slide into place from the cab area, and at one point UUC was making a kit specific for the XI platform and it was in test form for awhile, but not sure what happened to it. Longodj might be able to chime in on their process of the XI UUC kit. IIRC the XI UUC kit is an improved lever.
      12-01-2008, 06:18 PM   #15
RBBMWE46M3
blaupunkt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spman montego

Garage List
2008 x5  [0.00]
1972 R75/5  [0.00]
2008 335xi  [0.00]
dont buy the lag mobile. You will hate your new car..better stick with acura
      12-01-2008, 07:25 PM   #16
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '04 330i ZHP

Garage List
2004 BMW 330i ZHP  [9.50]
2011 135i  [7.46]
2008 328xi  [8.76]
like the masses... I also know what you mean OP. The worst for me is 2nd->3rd. I have tried "easing" into 3rd a little bit more but every now and then, it just almost feels like I'm fighting to get it into gear. I came over haven driven a lot of 6spd cars, most recently an 05 RSX-S and 07 TSX and I will say, Honda/Acura's gearboxes felt MUCH better than the BMW ever has.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 06:38 PM   #17
skimmilk20
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i 6 spd MT

Followup

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and am thinking of getting a 328xi or 335xi. Does this gear issue in general only apply to xi models? to manual i models have similar problems?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 09:39 PM   #18
RALFnotralph
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08' 335xi, 97' 328is

To be honest get the 335xi. I have one. The only regret I have about the car is getting a sedan. The reason i bought the sedan because I have always have cargo or a passenger. Don't even worry about the shifting. You'll get used to it. I actually got a comment earlier in the week by my lady friend because she didn't even know it was a stick after a 45 min drive. C'mon thats just a true compliment for a manual driver IMO. And as for the Navi, you might as well save yourself $2000 and wait for a double din kit and get one of the new double din dashes. Other than that the car is just amazing.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 10:44 PM   #19
skimmilk20
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i 6 spd MT

Thanks for the advice. I've been doing ALOT of homework... gosh the market is so bad right now it seems like this a very good time to buy b/c prices are so low. I'm considering really 2-3 cars at this point...

1. brand new 2009 328xi
2. used 335xi
3. used 335i

I know you said the shifting isn't big deal, but isn't one of the best about driving a stick the good feeling of shifting through gears? Also, i know this is a xi forum, but how does an i compare in the snow. Is it really as bad as people say? i.e. if I wanted to take my girlfriend skiing, will i literally not be able to go up a curvey mountain? or get out of my parking spot?

Thanks for the help guys. My budge is around 40K max so I'm really thinking about maybe just getting a 328xi with the new facelift... but of course, a 335xi or i would be sick...
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2008, 12:01 AM   #20
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '04 330i ZHP

Garage List
2004 BMW 330i ZHP  [9.50]
2011 135i  [7.46]
2008 328xi  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by skimmilk20 View Post
Thanks for the advice. I've been doing ALOT of homework... gosh the market is so bad right now it seems like this a very good time to buy b/c prices are so low. I'm considering really 2-3 cars at this point...

1. brand new 2009 328xi
2. used 335xi
3. used 335i

I know you said the shifting isn't big deal, but isn't one of the best about driving a stick the good feeling of shifting through gears? Also, i know this is a xi forum, but how does an i compare in the snow. Is it really as bad as people say? i.e. if I wanted to take my girlfriend skiing, will i literally not be able to go up a curvey mountain? or get out of my parking spot?

Thanks for the help guys. My budge is around 40K max so I'm really thinking about maybe just getting a 328xi with the new facelift... but of course, a 335xi or i would be sick...
... dude, i think i could drive up the actual mountain in my xi. its a beast and when paired with winter tires, it'll pretty much get through anything as long as its not higher than the front lip
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2008, 10:35 AM   #21
NM_BMW
Vishnu Powered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi, S1000RR

Get the 335xi. The only thing bad is the 1-2 shift. And it really depends how your trying to shift... Try not to force it but let it glide into the gate and it will shift fine. The problem is trying to shift very quickly from 1st to 2nd, for this the XI needs a new lever.

EDIT: Actually the problem exists in the 335i too, but they can easily put in a new SSK because they dont' have to drop the transfer case like the XI.
      12-05-2008, 10:47 AM   #22
cpippolo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

I haven't had problems with grinding, but the shifter is pretty clunky. I miss my RX-8 shifter. That said, I would never go back. I enjoy the torque too much. I think the shifter is the only weakness the car has (OK, Nav and audio maybe not the greatest). I've adapted to it so it no longer bothers me much, and it slows the shifts only slightly once you are used to it. The car provides the best combination of luxury and perfromance out there if you lean towards perfromance, so you wont be sorry.
Appreciate 0