BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-21-2022, 07:17 PM   #1
BeMyWingman
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Question Ordering a 45e this weekend. What should I know?

Hi all! I'm new here, but I plan to go down to the dealer soon and order a new 45e. Last car I ordered was in 2007, so it's been awhile for me. What pitfalls should I be looking out for?

I'm in CA. I already have the list of options built out to the spec I want.

Looking forward to becoming overly obsessed with all things BMW! Thanks!
Appreciate 1
4ML INC65.50
      02-21-2022, 08:48 PM   #2
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Welcome to the forum. Not sure there are any pitfalls at this stage. Pricing will likely be MSRP and of course make sure you don't pay a dealer markup.
      02-21-2022, 09:24 PM   #3
BeMyWingman
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Welcome to the forum. Not sure there are any pitfalls at this stage. Pricing will likely be MSRP and of course make sure you don't pay a dealer markup.
Thanks!

I did speak to three dealers in my area. One is charging a $5k markup and the other two assured me that I would only be paying sticker price if I ordered. But dealerships being dealerships, just wondering if anyone has had any bad experiences with them slipping in unnecessary fees and costs. Just not really sure what to look for now days (I've done a bit of google research, but always good to here a war story).

Does anyone have any experience with BMW Ultimate Care? I have found surprisingly little on the BMW site about it (maybe I'm not looking in the right place?). Is it free with the vehicle? I thought I remembered seeing different tiers for Ultimate Care somewhere, but I can't find that anymore.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2022, 09:42 PM   #4
Tch-Nrd
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeMyWingman View Post
Thanks!

I did speak to three dealers in my area. One is charging a $5k markup and the other two assured me that I would only be paying sticker price if I ordered. But dealerships being dealerships, just wondering if anyone has had any bad experiences with them slipping in unnecessary fees and costs. Just not really sure what to look for now days (I've done a bit of google research, but always good to here a war story).

Does anyone have any experience with BMW Ultimate Care? I have found surprisingly little on the BMW site about it (maybe I'm not looking in the right place?). Is it free with the vehicle? I thought I remembered seeing different tiers for Ultimate Care somewhere, but I can't find that anymore.
I was recently looking for an X5.
Contacted multiple dealerships across the country.
A few, 1 in Boston and 2 in California wanted $5k over MSRP on their already built vehicles as a "market adjustment".
I ended up ordering a new X5 from my local dealership for MSRP.
Ultimate care comes with the vehicle 3 years or 36k miles.
You can however, purchase up to a total of 7 years or 125k miles.
These are normal wear and tear items like brake pads, rotors, wiper blades, oil changes.
      02-21-2022, 09:51 PM   #5
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinp1982 View Post
Ultimate care comes with the vehicle 3 years or 36k miles.
You can however, purchase up to a total of 7 years or 125k miles.
These are normal wear and tear items like brake pads, rotors, wiper blades, oil changes.
Ulitmate Care does not include brake pads, rotors, wiper blades or other wear and tear items. It basically covers oil and filter (oil, air, cabin) changes.

In order to get coverage for wear and tear you need to buy Ultimate Care +.
      02-21-2022, 09:53 PM   #6
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
I did speak to three dealers in my area. One is charging a $5k markup and the other two assured me that I would only be paying sticker price if I ordered. But dealerships being dealerships, just wondering if anyone has had any bad experiences with them slipping in unnecessary fees and costs. Just not really sure what to look for now days (I've done a bit of google research, but always good to here a war story)
Some dealers have mandatory add-ons (protection. package, ceramic, etc.) rather than a mark up so make sure the place you order from does not do that.
      02-21-2022, 09:56 PM   #7
Tch-Nrd
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Some dealers have mandatory add-ons (protection. package, ceramic, etc.) rather than a mark up so make sure the place you order from does not do that.
^^Also this^^

One dealer wanted mandatory added protection for $2,500 and then additional $7,500 mark up making it $10k over MSRP.
Be prepared to walk and find another dealer or find a broker.
      02-21-2022, 10:21 PM   #8
Henry2020
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

In addition to the add-ons that Turtleboy mentioned, some dealers may try to mark up the MF or interest rate.
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2022, 01:03 PM   #9
BeMyWingman
Rep

Awesome! Thanks for the replies, guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinp1982 View Post
One dealer wanted mandatory added protection for $2,500 and then additional $7,500 mark up making it $10k over MSRP.
Be prepared to walk and find another dealer or find a broker.
This is what I'm a little concerned about. What I really don't want to happen is that I place a deposit down, car arrives months later, then they spring a bunch of ridiculous fees on me during final signing. I could walk, but I doubt they would care since they can likely sell it within weeks with the way the market is.

So I suppose my real question is how does the transaction work? Do I just go in and lay down a deposit, then sign all the purchase paperwork when the car arrives? Or do I sign off on the out-the-door price via a binding agreement when I make the deposit?

I'll probably do a little more specific research before I go in (and obviously ask the dealer these questions before I hand over my cash), but if anyone knows how new Bimmer ordering works first hand, that would help a bunch.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2022, 01:08 PM   #10
jiggie
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:

This is what I'm a little concerned about. What I really don't want to happen is that I place a deposit down, car arrives months later, then they spring a bunch of ridiculous fees on me during final signing. I could walk, but I doubt they would care since they can likely sell it within weeks with the way the market is.

So I suppose my real question is how does the transaction work? Do I just go in and lay down a deposit, then sign all the purchase paperwork when the car arrives? Or do I sign off on the out-the-door price via a binding agreement when I make the deposit?

I'll probably do a little more specific research before I go in (and obviously ask the dealer these questions before I hand over my cash), but if anyone knows how new Bimmer ordering works first hand, that would help a bunch.
I would get everything negotiated and in writing before you walk out. Its not legally binding, but when you go to pick it up and they try anything, because sales folks tend to have short memories, I would remind them. That being said, I Personally have not heard of any BMW dealerships doing that, and I would imagine if one did try that, it would be on these forums.

My experience was you sit down and build what you want. The price is usually listed then and there... some BMW centers ask for a refundable deposit, some do not. There usually isn't a whole lot of paperwork that can be done at that point because most of these cars don't exist yet, or even have a VIN number so they really can't do much. I prefer the dealers that request the deposit, simply because the Allocation lists are usually shorter, for obvious reasons.

The only other tip I can say is don't be afraid to look beyond your local market for dealerships. I looked all over the country, and ended up ordering for a dealer almost 1800 miles away with the help of a forum member who gave me the leg up on an available allocation.

Last edited by jiggie; 02-22-2022 at 01:16 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2022, 01:11 PM   #11
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Depends on the dealer as far as a deposit is concerned, some ask for one and some didn’t. Obviously you want to ask about all fees, markups etc as part of your negotiation/ordering. Once you agree then they should give you a build sheet and/or purchase agreement to sign. The overwhelming majority of dealers will stick ti the agreement but we have seen some come back later asking for more money, fees etc. Rare but it does happen.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2022, 01:30 PM   #12
rpm50i
Private
Rep
Drives: x5 m50i (in build)

get a purchase order that reflects your car+tax amount, or final lease number. be prepared to walk if they dont give you that, or change it up later. That is the only tool you have, but it is a very effective one as far as protecting yourself goes.
Appreciate 1
Tch-Nrd118.50
      02-22-2022, 01:45 PM   #13
Tch-Nrd
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:

They shouldn't do that to you.
Be upfront tell them you refuse to pay over MSRP.
They will have you sign papers to the amount you will be leasing/financing/paying.
If there are other costs after arrival of your vehicle you can walk away.
Much easier to be upfront first and foremost, let them know what you expect as far as purchase price when you sign papers.
BTW I've had 2 different dealers want different amount for deposit.
1 wanted $1,000 down and another wanted $1,500 down.
      02-22-2022, 02:24 PM   #14
BeMyWingman
Rep

Wow... so after browsing the forum a bit, it appears touchscreens are no longer offered on new BMWs. Is that true?!

If so, that is a pretty hard deal breaker for me... which sucks, because everything else about the car is great.

Pretty dumb move by BMW, IMO. Make me pay a "chip-shortage" premium, offer a future retrofit, but just don't outright remove a pretty important feature on luxury cars. I just can't fathom paying $80k for a car and not getting something basic that comes standard on most $30k cars.

I think my weekend order hopes are dashed. I'll probably look to the used market or go re-test drive some other makes. Damn...
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2022, 03:46 PM   #15
newbote
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Wow... so after browsing the forum a bit, it appears touchscreens are no longer offered on new BMWs. Is that true?!

If so, that is a pretty hard deal breaker for me... which sucks, because everything else about the car is great.

Pretty dumb move by BMW, IMO. Make me pay a "chip-shortage" premium, offer a future retrofit, but just don't outright remove a pretty important feature on luxury cars. I just can't fathom paying $80k for a car and not getting something basic that comes standard on most $30k cars.

I think my weekend order hopes are dashed. I'll probably look to the used market or go re-test drive some other makes. Damn...
Not sure who told you that but they are shipping with touch screens - unless this is an extremely recent change. The touch screen delete only happened a few weeks this past November. Before I ordered I was looking at on the lot inventory that was very recent builds and they all had touch screens
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2022, 04:19 PM   #16
BeMyWingman
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbote View Post
Not sure who told you that but they are shipping with touch screens - unless this is an extremely recent change. The touch screen delete only happened a few weeks this past November. Before I ordered I was looking at on the lot inventory that was very recent builds and they all had touch screens
There are a few forum posts about it and found some online articles as well:

https://www.bmwblog.com/2021/11/05/b...functionality/

Everything was dated Nov/Dec of 2021, but I couldn't find anything confirming that they are including touchscreens again.

The rep at the dealership said, "some have been coming with touchscreens, but not all of them." So after reading some posts of the production plants axing the TS without notice to the customer or dealer, his statement didn't exactly inspire confidence, haha!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2022, 04:47 PM   #17
XGoober
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

All recent builds that I am aware of have come with touchscreen. I think you can rest easy on that one.

You may not have the finger writing recognition on the iDrive controller but I think most people don't really care about that anyway. There was some post about it being dropped on a wide variety of models, including the X5, but I'm not sure it has actually happened yet.

I think most of us bemoan the lack of audio system upgrades at the moment. There are 3rd party solutions to that of course.
Appreciate 2
      02-22-2022, 04:59 PM   #18
jiggie
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:

That was a few weeks of builds in November of last year. They have all had touchscreens since.
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2022, 06:03 PM   #19
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

As mentioned by a few others, no need to worry about the touchscreen. That issue was for a short period of time and all X5s built since Nov. 17th or so have had the touchscreen. There has been nothing about them not being included since.
      02-22-2022, 06:35 PM   #20
BeMyWingman
Rep

Alright, thanks guys! You talked me off the ledge and my blood pressure is decreasing to normal levels. I will proceed to the dealer this weekend, but man, do I have a bunch of "what if" questions for them, haha!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2022, 07:25 PM   #21
Garycoral
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW iX M60 / 45e

Quote:
Hi all! I'm new here, but I plan to go down to the dealer soon and order a new 45e. Last car I ordered was in 2007, so it's been awhile for me. What pitfalls should I be looking out for?

I'm in CA. I already have the list of options built out to the spec I want.

Looking forward to becoming overly obsessed with all things BMW! Thanks!
I'm going to be ordering our 3rd X545e in 3 years as soon as the Harmon Kardon system is available again... Our current one just has HiFi and it's pretty weak.

Also - I'm just about to take delivery of an M4C and the Configurator didn't show Parking Assistant available, but it turns out the Dealer could have included it - They never told me and how would I have known to ask so now I won't have it... Bummed about that. My point is - Ask your CA if there's anything available that's NOT showing up in the Configurator but can still be ordered.
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2022, 09:00 AM   #22
patt1289
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3, Aviator GT, X5 45e, Stang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garycoral View Post
My point is - Ask your CA if there's anything available that's NOT showing up in the Configurator but can still be ordered.
Even better than the CA, call BMW Genius and ask the questions, I got my production number from them, they sent my order status update with production # to my CA. Then my CA told me PCD was not available, I saw folks on here doing it, so I called the PCD. Talk about helpful people, they told me it was and asked for my CA's info. They contacted her and when they did not hear back in 4 days, they contacted her and the GM. They CC'd me on emails to the dealership to make sure I knew they were working it. I was really impressed how they followed up without my involvement.
Appreciate 0