05-13-2022, 05:12 PM   #1
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Saga RESOLVED - 2022 X6 M wouldn’t start AGAIN

Only 7,000 miles on the clock. I left work early today. Car was sitting locked for 7 hours. Got in, pressed brake and start button and nada. Brake pedal dropped to the floor. Silence and blank screen. Tried again. Same thing but message on dash saying safe to start in 10 minutes. I waited a few, but not 10. This time I got engine noise that reminded me of an old car trying to turn over, but nothing. I tried again after waiting the full 10 and all was good. WTF? Any thoughts? Anyone else?

Last edited by cmyx6go; 07-15-2022 at 01:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2022, 07:13 PM   #2
arlind94
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 21 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
Only 7,000 miles on the clock. I left work early today. Car was sitting locked for 7 hours. Got in, pressed brake and start button and nada. Brake pedal dropped to the floor. Silence and blank screen. Tried again. Same thing but message on dash saying safe to start in 10 minutes. I waited a few, but not 10. This time I got engine noise that reminded me of an old car trying to turn over, but nothing. I tried again after waiting the full 10 and all was good. WTF? Any thoughts? Anyone else?
I didn't have this issue but about two weeks ago I got out to get some groceries, returned to car and went to start it. The engine turned over like 3 times before starting and then I got a drive train train malfunction. Turned car off and on and it was gone.

Every bmw I've had would randomly have a drive train malfunction.

It's possible you had a glitch and a signal was read incorrectly?
Appreciate 1
cmyx6go15761.00
      05-14-2022, 03:47 AM   #3
ajob
Lieutenant
Monaco
Rep
Drives: X5 M

Quote:
You are invited to lunch at your Germanic, punctuality-obsessed mother-in-law.

The event you described just happened, you get there 10 minutes late, she's waiting for you at the doorstep, nervously tapping her left foot.

Prepare a decent excuse... plain truth won't cut it, she will not believe your beautiful Germanic car had just told you to wait ten minutes.
Appreciate 3
cmyx6go15761.00
DG-X5168.00
Mr.blue223.00
      05-14-2022, 04:23 AM   #4
dds007
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F95, F97, F85, F82

My X3M's car battery recently died without warning. Only 1500 miles on it. Dealership just replaced the battery, so far so good again.
      05-14-2022, 06:47 AM   #5
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Thanks all.

ajob You’re a funny guy.

As much as it boggles my brain a battery would be the issue at 1500 and 7000 miles, I’d be very happy if it’s just the battery.
      05-14-2022, 07:46 AM   #6
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

Quote:
On the second try , did the engine actually crank over but very slowly ?
Appreciate 1
cmyx6go15761.00
      05-14-2022, 07:48 AM   #7
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by onfireX5 View Post
On the second try , did the engine actually crank over but very slowly ?
Yes.

Edit. The first two times nothing. After I got the 10 minute message and tried about 5 minutes in, it was a slow crank
      05-14-2022, 07:55 AM   #8
SSSPconcepts
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X6M50i, X1 M Sport, X2

Quote:
We have had about 5 BMWs over the years and we're lucky to have experienced something similar only once. It was with a small X2 my daughter had been using while at college; she was parking outdoors at her dorm. Right after the first freeze of winter she went outside and the car would not start and she got the drive train error. Turned out to be rodent damage to the wiring harness.

I hope yours is just a glitch that is easily fixed.
Appreciate 1
cmyx6go15761.00
      05-14-2022, 09:10 AM   #9
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

Quote:
Yes.

Edit. The first two times nothing. After I got the 10 minute message and tried about 5 minutes in, it was a slow crank
That is a solid clue. Obviously, could be a momentary glitch with some relays, but I would definitely have the battery load tested.

Have you been making short 5-10 mile type trips during the week before it happened ?
Appreciate 1
cmyx6go15761.00
      05-14-2022, 09:17 AM   #10
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by onfireX5 View Post
That is a solid clue. Obviously, could be a momentary glitch with some relays, but I would definitely have the battery load tested.

Have you been making short 5-10 mile type trips during the week before it happened ?
My commute is 16 miles each way. I did leave work in the morning to do a bank and gas station run, which is about 5 miles roundtrip. I’ll have the dealer check the battery.
      05-14-2022, 03:56 PM   #11
B1M3
Neon Garden
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M Comp

You have to charge your battery at least once a month, ///M cars drains the battery very quick.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2022, 04:03 PM   #12
ajob
Lieutenant
Monaco
Rep
Drives: X5 M

Quote:
Now seriously: I've been scratching my head to explain OP's interesting and very unusual "10 minute event" and came to the following:

1. The car may suspect it's being hacked, a growing concern for manufacturers, so (like the sfc /scannow DOS command in Windows) it starts checking every line of its main software code and that may take 10 minutes - but it's clearly a wrong theory, because it does not explain the "low battery" slow cranking the OP reported after 5 minutes. The car simply should not start at all until the check is finished satisfactorily.

2. So, another (wild!) guess is as follows:

- the battery got depleted;

- OP enters the car, tries to start, no sign of life;

- a "last resort" software routine powered by the second smaller battery (all new M's have it, it is used for the higher voltage steering and/or the active anti-roll bars) then wakes up and notices the dead main battery, tells the driver to come back in 10 minutes and through the higher voltage converter proceeds to recharge the main battery from the power left in the smaller battery;

- OP returns in 10 minutes, the car starts OK - and this would also explain why waiting only 5 minutes would cause a weak engine cranking.

Now, if this wild guess is true, I bow in admiration to the BMW engineers, because our cars have so much stuff running in the background when parked (anti-theft, vehicle localisation, listening & responding to ConnectedDrive communications, etc.) that even the big 105 Ah main battery gets often depleted, as the government mandated "partial battery charging fuel economy strategy" may leave it half empty or less at any parking time - as the OP found out after only 7 hours.

Depleted batteries cause roadside assistance calls, angry customers, costly early battery replacement service bulletins, a bad car reputation, etc.

So, in the newer 2022 cars, the BMW guys may have had the clever idea to use the second battery, that suffers no drain when the car is parked, to recharge enough the main one using its higher voltage output - and save the driver's day in 10 minutes.

If true, it's a brilliant trick !
Appreciate 4
cmyx6go15761.00
Defib60.50
DG-X5168.00
      05-14-2022, 04:40 PM   #13
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
ajob Thank you for taking the time to compose your long response. If this is the case, I’ll be very happy. For the most part I’ve been very lucky with my BMWs being issue free. I did have a nightmare that lasted months when my 2010 was only a few months old. Thanks again.
      05-15-2022, 02:19 PM   #14
dds007
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F95, F97, F85, F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1M3 View Post
You have to charge your battery at least once a month, ///M cars drains the battery very quick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1M3 View Post
We have to charge the battery on a $100K+ car once a month…..? I doubt that their engineering is that bad
      05-15-2022, 05:18 PM   #15
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast & Furious

Agree with many, I would check the battery. I get funny messages on my rarely driven M3 and battery is usually the culprit.
cmyx6go15761.00
      05-15-2022, 07:22 PM   #16
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

My bet is the battery too. These things are never fully “off” anymore and if it’s not driven enough the battery will be weak over time and cause weird issues.

Get a ctek battery tender on amazon and see if the issue comes back.

Better than taking it to the dealer imo…

Alan
Appreciate 2
cmyx6go15761.00
ajob456.00
      05-16-2022, 07:15 AM   #17
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Happened again this morning. At dealer now.

Well, I'm happy I got a loaner car being I didn't have an appointment. Will update when I know something. Thanks for all the responses.

Last edited by cmyx6go; 05-16-2022 at 08:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2022, 08:43 AM   #18
Hit_Apex
Riding the knock sensor
Rep
Drives: 21 X5MC | 23 M4CSL

Garage List
2021 BMW X5MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajob View Post
Now seriously: I've been scratching my head to explain OP's interesting and very unusual "10 minute event" and came to the following:

1. The car may suspect it's being hacked, a growing concern for manufacturers, so (like the sfc /scannow DOS command in Windows) it starts checking every line of its main software code and that may take 10 minutes - but it's clearly a wrong theory, because it does not explain the "low battery" slow cranking the OP reported after 5 minutes. The car simply should not start at all until the check is finished satisfactorily.

2. So, another (wild!) guess is as follows:

- the battery got depleted;

- OP enters the car, tries to start, no sign of life;

- a "last resort" software routine powered by the second smaller battery (all new M's have it, it is used for the higher voltage steering and/or the active anti-roll bars) then wakes up and notices the dead main battery, tells the driver to come back in 10 minutes and through the higher voltage converter proceeds to recharge the main battery from the power left in the smaller battery;

- OP returns in 10 minutes, the car starts OK - and this would also explain why waiting only 5 minutes would cause a weak engine cranking.

Now, if this wild guess is true, I bow in admiration to the BMW engineers, because our cars have so much stuff running in the background when parked (anti-theft, vehicle localisation, listening & responding to ConnectedDrive communications, etc.) that even the big 105 Ah main battery gets often depleted, as the government mandated "partial battery charging fuel economy strategy" may leave it half empty or less at any parking time - as the OP found out after only 7 hours.

Depleted batteries cause roadside assistance calls, angry customers, costly early battery replacement service bulletins, a bad car reputation, etc.

So, in the newer 2022 cars, the BMW guys may have had the clever idea to use the second battery, that suffers no drain when the car is parked, to recharge enough the main one using its higher voltage output - and save the driver's day in 10 minutes.

If true, it's a brilliant trick !
Nice post - both are good theories and believe there is some truth in #2 where the aux battery under the bonnet is somehow utilized.
      05-16-2022, 10:02 AM   #19
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Happened again this morning. At dealer now.

Well, I'm happy I got a loaner car being I didn't have an appointment. Will update when I know something. Thanks for all the responses.
sadly, I'm sure your loaner car is underwhelming compared to the daily driver beast.
cmyx6go15761.00
      05-16-2022, 11:24 AM   #20
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gqgambler View Post
sadly, I'm sure your loaner car is underwhelming compared to the daily driver beast.
I'm glad I got a loaner as the wait previously for appointments with loaners was running 3-4 weeks and I didn't have an appointment.

I wasn't going to mention it because I didn't want to be that girl. But yes, the acceleration is a bit different in the X1 loaner.
      05-16-2022, 11:45 AM   #21
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
They just sent me a video of the inspection with the tech narrating. Must be something new. Pretty cool.

It seems my attempt to do the remote software update failed and caused a shitload of malfunctions.

Signed,
The Challenged One .
      05-16-2022, 12:52 PM   #22
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
They just sent me a video of the inspection with the tech narrating. Must be something new. Pretty cool.

It seems my attempt to do the remote software update failed and caused a shitload of malfunctions.

Signed,
The Challenged One .
Ah, forgot about that update. Not unheard of with updates. My M50i is due for inspection soon and I've purposefully held off on the update until right before I take it in. Take solace in knowing there is no way you screwed it up.
cmyx6go15761.00
ajob456.00