BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-23-2022, 08:34 AM   #1
imyb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50D

M50D Squeaky Brakes?

As far as I can remember the brakes on my M50D have always squeaked, I have raised this twice with BMW previously and after their inspection they always say they cannot find any problem with brakes and it is normal for brakes to squeak on a car with sport brakes on them, something to do with the temperature of brakes not being hot enough hence the sound coming from them.

I know I am being fobbed off and my 3yr warranty is up in Sept, can anyone who has a X5 M50D from UK confirm if their brakes do the same or whether if it just me so that I can take this up with BMW again and if no success I will escalate to BMW corporate.

I seem to have narrowed down the squeaky brakes to light breaking i.e. when driving through the town and city, on the motorway or hard breaking doesn't seem to produce the squeaks.

Thanks in advance.
      05-23-2022, 09:07 AM   #2
Kas63
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50d

I've got the M50D - 5000 miles so far .... not had a chirp from them under any braking conditions... and I've tried most!!!!
      05-23-2022, 11:25 AM   #3
jlcrompton
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d and X5 M40D MHT

I have a M40D MHT on a 71 plate and just over 5500 miles, just like you my brakes squeak at low speed. i.e in stop start traffic.

Jason
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 12:35 PM   #4
wifesbimmer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 X5 M50i, E92 M3, '16 F150

The brakes on my M50i in Canada squeak in low speeds coming to a stop. It squeaks so loudly sometimes it is embarrassing. Hard brakes seem to rectify the issue only so temporarily.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 12:40 PM   #5
imyb
Private First Class
Rep

I am relieved it is not only me however still disappointed BMW think this is acceptable.
      05-23-2022, 12:43 PM   #6
imyb
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifesbimmer View Post
The brakes on my M50i in Canada squeak in low speeds coming to a stop. It squeaks so loudly sometimes it is embarrassing. Hard brakes seem to rectify the issue only so temporarily.
I know the feeling of embarrassment especially when you see cars on their last mile slow down beside you whilst your cars breaks are squeaking away and theirs aren't
      05-23-2022, 01:00 PM   #7
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by imyb View Post
As far as I can remember the brakes on my M50D have always squeaked, I have raised this twice with BMW previously and after their inspection they always say they cannot find any problem with brakes and it is normal for brakes to squeak on a car with sport brakes on them, something to do with the temperature of brakes not being hot enough hence the sound coming from them.

I know I am being fobbed off and my 3yr warranty is up in Sept, can anyone who has a X5 M50D from UK confirm if their brakes do the same or whether if it just me so that I can take this up with BMW again and if no success I will escalate to BMW corporate.

I seem to have narrowed down the squeaky brakes to light breaking i.e. when driving through the town and city, on the motorway or hard breaking doesn't seem to produce the squeaks.

Thanks in advance.
Sorry about your issue. My G05 is fine, but my F30 brake noise got so bad I was embarrassed to drive the car. It sounded like an old truck screeching to a stop. Beyond horrible and certainly not the ultimate driving experience! Like you, I complained to the dealer. The dealer gave me the response your dealer gave to you; "This is normal". I then politely went into continuous complaint mode. I simply became so pleasantly annoying that they finally agreed to change the brake pads under warranty. Since the brake pad change, the brakes make no sound.

My advice: Don't let them off the hook with the "it's normal" routine. It's not acceptable and they should fix it.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2022, 06:13 AM   #8
UltimateManga
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 & X6

I've had similar issues in the past as when you have performance brake pads there's something in the material that makes them squeal so no matter what you do this is a general problem. I believe the ones made for BMW are by Brembo, I hope this helps with your query!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2022, 02:15 AM   #9
poolie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw 520d f10 m sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by imyb View Post

Thanks in advance.
My M50d is 3 years old in September too. Car has done 32k with no squeeling from the brakes. I've had new pads fitted all round recently, brakes have always been as quiet as a mouse.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 09:55 AM   #10
jlcrompton
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d and X5 M40D MHT

So got my car going in on Monday due to it starting to pee me off.
the dealer handed me a leaflet about m sport break problems but didn't really look at it.
Lets see what they say in a few days time.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2022, 07:22 AM   #11
imyb
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcrompton View Post
the dealer handed me a leaflet about m sport break problems but didn't really look at it.
Sweet, please keep me posted.
      06-08-2022, 07:32 AM   #12
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

I had some m performance brakes replaced due to squeeking. One thing that can cause squeaking is spray used for cleaning.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2022, 08:52 AM   #13
imyb
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcrompton View Post
Did you make any progress on this?