BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-28-2022, 07:29 AM   #1
FullFatDoom
Space Marine
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5

Recall: Sunroof Control Unit Software & Dodgy Loaner Question (TSD)

2 part question for the group:

1) Did anyone else get a Sunroof Control Unit Software recall notice in the mail?

2) In setting me up with a loaner, my dealer sent me a link to a site cirro.tsdweb.com, which appears to be a provider of loaners. Guess I am not getting a BMW for this issue...Anyway my question is has anybody used this? This site looks dodgy and I'm not comfortable putting my CC info into it. Not sure why its now my job to give me CC for their f*** up.

The more I think about this the more I rather sit at the dealer drinking coffee for 2 hours instead of getting a Chevy Malibu rental and my CC info floating around with TSD.

What sayeth thee, wise internet forum?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 06:13 PM   #2
FullFatDoom
Space Marine
United_States
Rep

Well, nobody asked but I'll post an update here for the sake of it. An OTA update took care of whatever the recall was. Later that day, I called my dealer's service dept to confirm if I still needed the appointment since the update I installed included the recall reference in one of the line items.

"Yes you still have to bring it in"

So, in I go. Guess what? Service rep pulls up my info on their computer and tells me my vehicle already has the update. I politely explained I already installed it, and politely retold the story of calling the dealership to reconfirm it was indeed necessary to come in.

"Oh sorry" and then the guy proceeds to badmouth the "scheduling coordinator".....buddy, talking crap about your fellow staff makes you look worse than the person who incorrectly told me to keep my appointment.

So, not quite a rant, just a subpar dealer experience.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 06:45 PM   #3
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullFatDoom View Post
Well, nobody asked but I'll post an update here for the sake of it. An OTA update took care of whatever the recall was. Later that day, I called my dealer's service dept to confirm if I still needed the appointment since the update I installed included the recall reference in one of the line items.

"Yes you still have to bring it in"

So, in I go. Guess what? Service rep pulls up my info on their computer and tells me my vehicle already has the update. I politely explained I already installed it, and politely retold the story of calling the dealership to reconfirm it was indeed necessary to come in.

"Oh sorry" and then the guy proceeds to badmouth the "scheduling coordinator".....buddy, talking crap about your fellow staff makes you look worse than the person who incorrectly told me to keep my appointment.

So, not quite a rant, just a subpar dealer experience.
FullFatDoom, what is your iDrive version now that you had the OT update that included the sunroof fix? Love your handle btw
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 06:57 PM   #4
Chuck W.
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '95 Porsche 993 Cab

Can't help with the loaner question. The dealer I use for service (Bob Smith in Calabasas CA) closed its Volvo dealership and uses Volvos and BMWs. I'll never take a Volvo again. Too hard learning the features.

As far as the update, I had it done when I had some warranty work done. They wiped out all of the Bimmercode coding and also made it so I can only get the tachometer in sports mode. The option in the I-Drive is gone. Ugh....
2001 Toyota Tundra SR5 Ext Cab - Hay Hauler
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2022, 07:40 AM   #5
FullFatDoom
Space Marine
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
FullFatDoom, what is your iDrive version now that you had the OT update that included the sunroof fix? Love your handle btw
Thank you my friend Long time fan.

03/2022.65

I tried searching my notifications and iDrive high and low to find the history of "what was installed" without any luck. Does anyone know where I can find that? When I first made the installation, I believe I went into Notifications and could see every line item of what was changed, and that sunroof software module thing was one of them. No luck in finding that again, or in my BMW App on my phone. The manual is useless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck W. View Post
Can't help with the loaner question.
Frustratingly, when I went in for the appointment, the woman at reception took my insurance, credit card, and driver's license info and entered it into their system. Then at the next desk is where we discovered that I don't need the work, so they got my CC info anyway, it seems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck W. View Post
I can only get the tachometer in sports mode. The option in the I-Drive is gone. Ugh....
I thought that was only me! I got the "power meter" or whatever that thing is called. I actually found a way to get the tachometer back in Comfort; it was buried in the display menu somewhere in iDrive. I can go search again next time I'm out in my car. I'm pretty sure it was in Car -> Settings -> Display -> something something. The final menu was basically 2 choices, Tachometer or Power Meter (might just be making that name up, but it sounded similar).

Cheers.
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2022, 07:51 AM   #6
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullFatDoom View Post
03/2022.65
Thanks. Would you happen to know what your version was before this latest update? I'm trying to figure out if my version already includes the sunroof update or not.

Somewhere I recall seeing a list of what was included in these updates, I think it was on my phone via the app but will have to try finding it again but since I don't have one pending, not sure I will be able to see it.

Update: If you go to the phone app, MyBMW, then click on Check Status and when that page opens, click on Services you will find Remote Software Upgrade towards the bottom of the screen. Clicking on that opens a new screen which will either show the pending update or, like in my case, say No remote upgrade available. This is where I believe I saw the listing of what was included in a pending update. I think :-0

Last edited by Marty in NY; 07-26-2022 at 08:02 AM.. Reason: updated to reflect finding OTA update location on app
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2022, 08:12 AM   #7
FullFatDoom
Space Marine
United_States
Rep

Thanks! Found it here. The App doesn't let me copy text for some reason. Modern problems require modern solutions:

This second picture shows the middle block of text about the recall:

Appreciate 0