gatordent2007
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 x7 M50i

Garage List
2016 BMW 750xi  [0.00]
Performance numbers underwhelming

As someone who rushed to put the deposit in for the XM I find myself questioning it more and more already. I saw somewhere 0-60 times around 4.1. Wasn’t the whole draw of this thing it’s ability to provide M type performance? I like the exterior styling the more I see different pictures of it, and while I like the interior, I’m not seeing this “ultra luxury” interior they’re touting. I honestly feel like my x7 looks nicer inside. The price point seems crazy high for what you’re getting, help me figure out what I’m missing here?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2022, 08:56 PM   #2
JAKE_7
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X7

The good news is that you can get your deposit back - no questions asked
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2022, 09:08 PM   #3
gatordent2007
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 750xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKE_7 View Post
The good news is that you can get your deposit back - no questions asked
Thats obvious

The point is, I’m a huge BMW fanboy but I find myself trying to figure out what’s so special about this particular vehicle, outside of the exterior styling, that warrants the hefty price tag
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2022, 09:17 PM   #4
Al Pinã
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Are you familiar with BMW's "official" performance numbers?

You can usually knock at minimum .3 to .5 a second off whatever they claim is possible.

This will definitely be a real world sub-four second to 60 vehicle.
      10-01-2022, 10:24 AM   #5
PNWM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW XM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatordent2007 View Post
Thats obvious

The point is, I’m a huge BMW fanboy but I find myself trying to figure out what’s so special about this particular vehicle, outside of the exterior styling, that warrants the hefty price tag
You’re paying for a lot of custom parts and a unique transmission that they need to pay for.

While there is some sharing of parts from other models, there’s enough new here that warrants a tick up in price. It seems expensive but it’s only $20k more than an XB7 but with many more changes to it than the X7 platform it’s based on.

All that and exclusivity. You won’t see these everyday. I’ve had my XB7 for 18 months and have never seen another one in person other than at the dealership. Price point makes it exclusive, and somewhat of a fashion accessory. And some say that’s wrong for M to do that but look at Ferrari. They sell a lifestyle, not just cars. And most are never driven to a half of their potential. Like it or not, that’s where M is headed as it’s more profitable than catering to the track day crowd.
Appreciate 2
AlexFL7837.00
      10-01-2022, 11:22 AM   #6
gatordent2007
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 750xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWM3 View Post
You’re paying for a lot of custom parts and a unique transmission that they need to pay for.

While there is some sharing of parts from other models, there’s enough new here that warrants a tick up in price. It seems expensive but it’s only $20k more than an XB7 but with many more changes to it than the X7 platform it’s based on.

All that and exclusivity. You won’t see these everyday. I’ve had my XB7 for 18 months and have never seen another one in person other than at the dealership. Price point makes it exclusive, and somewhat of a fashion accessory. And some say that’s wrong for M to do that but look at Ferrari. They sell a lifestyle, not just cars. And most are never driven to a half of their potential. Like it or not, that’s where M is headed as it’s more profitable than catering to the track day crowd.
All valid points, but your xb7 is has a nicer interior and by the numbers preforms equally or better than this new model. Just a bit underwhelming to me to justify the price
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2022, 11:42 AM   #7
Al Pinã
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thats obvious

+1 on exclusivity.

I'm in Chicago proper and have never seen another XB7 in person, other than someone test driving the one they had for sale at Perillo BMW.
      10-02-2022, 07:18 AM   #8
ctelimad
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw m8

Quote:
As someone who rushed to put the deposit in for the XM I find myself questioning it more and more already. I saw somewhere 0-60 times around 4.1. Wasn’t the whole draw of this thing it’s ability to provide M type performance? I like the exterior styling the more I see different pictures of it, and while I like the interior, I’m not seeing this “ultra luxury” interior they’re touting. I honestly feel like my x7 looks nicer inside. The price point seems crazy high for what you’re getting, help me figure out what I’m missing here?
I can not agree more my friend
Thank god i did not put a deposit because from an M car you should expect better performance and not an x7 interior . Even the IX interior looks better and more modern
The exterior looks really good but will not pay 150k for an suv with m340i performance
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2022, 05:11 PM   #9
JAKE_7
United_States
Rep

Fact check. M30i power is 382 hp max vs XM's 644 hp. Also consider the size. The XM market is not meant for small car users. It is a huge SUV with plug-in hybrid. 4.2 secs is very fast for a 6000 lbs car. Not comparable.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2022, 05:46 PM   #10
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: I6-> iX

Quote:
Reminds me of when the i8 came out… and 0-60 wasn't faster than an m3.

Outstanding design but then you think about Model X and it's not even close…
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2022, 07:18 PM   #11
gatordent2007
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 750xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK479 View Post

With how much they talked it up, I expected low 3s for it, not low 4s.
Appreciate 1
Ibiza3611.50
      10-02-2022, 08:05 PM   #12
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

They KNOW they need to contend with Model X and even "Plaid". But 4.1 doesn't make sense. Why not crank it up to 3.9!

Cayenne Turbo is 3.9, the S E Hybrid is 3.6. It's not all about front line speed but this is a direct competitor.

It's all insanely fast now. I had a Model Y Perfomance the other day at 3.5 (0-60) and it felt stunningly quick. I've yet to drive a X Plaid. For fear of knowing what that speed feels like in a crossover.
Appreciate 1
XMan9.00
      10-02-2022, 08:34 PM   #13
Mikeyy39
Rep
Drives: MB E63 AMG Wagon

Quote:
Totally agree
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2022, 10:28 PM   #14
PNWM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW XM

Quote:
They KNOW they need to contend with Model X and even "Plaid". But 4.1 doesn't make sense. Why not crank it up to 3.9!

Cayenne Turbo is 3.9, the S E Hybrid is 3.6. It's not all about front line speed but this is a direct competitor.

It's all insanely fast now. I had a Model Y Perfomance the other day at 3.5 (0-60) and it felt stunningly quick. I've yet to drive a X Plaid. For fear of knowing what that speed feels like in a crossover.
How many times are you drag racing in your SUV? All the other times I’ll take the BMW interior over a Tesla every time. And this is not 100% electric which is part of the appeal. Model X buyers aren’t cross-shopping for an XM. These comparisons are so off as they focus on such a small facet of each vehicle. And mostly done by folks who aren’t even close to buying either.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2022, 12:00 AM   #15
Al Pinã
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Calling all wealthy Bimmerpost peeps:

Swap the XM Red drivetrain into an i8 Roadster for us.

10-03-2022, 06:07 AM   #16
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

How many times are you drag racing in your SUV? All the other times I’ll take the BMW interior over a Tesla every time. And this is not 100% electric which is part of the appeal. Model X buyers aren’t cross-shopping for an XM. These comparisons are so off as they focus on such a small facet of each vehicle. And mostly done by folks who aren’t even close to buying either.
All great thoughts- but velocity in an M is all about speed.

Don't own an M suv. But if k did I'd want my 160,000 suv to be a contender.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2022, 06:13 AM   #17
gatordent2007
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 750xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Ok, if you don’t like that comparison, compare to the rs q8, which to me seems the more direct competitor. And unfortunately, you get a better performing, equally luxurious suv at a much cheaper price. I see a bit of value in having the XM as it looks different, but the polarizing looks probably doesn’t bode well for resale down the line either. Another advantage of the rs Q8. Honestly, the hybrid thing just seems out of place. Other manufacturers use that and boost performance numbers, while this seems like it was done just to do.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2022, 10:14 AM   #18
SHARMAATL
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 M60i

Quote:
Ok, if you don’t like that comparison, compare to the rs q8, which to me seems the more direct competitor. And unfortunately, you get a better performing, equally luxurious suv at a much cheaper price. I see a bit of value in having the XM as it looks different, but the polarizing looks probably doesn’t bode well for resale down the line either. Another advantage of the rs Q8. Honestly, the hybrid thing just seems out of place. Other manufacturers use that and boost performance numbers, while this seems like it was done just to do.
Yep RSQ8 is a good example, but we don't really need to even leave the BMW dealership. The X5/6M Comp would roast the XM. The issue here is very similar to what happened with the i8, striking (for better or worse) design with performance that just doesn't seem to match up with the pricing.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2022, 10:36 AM   #19
julienjj
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 135i 6MT

Ferrari made a V12 SUV.
BMW missed a good chance of taking the S85 V10 out of retirement, slapping some hybrid stuff to it to pass emissions and push ~600-700 hp out of the package, now that's true motorsport roots and an epic unique powertrain.

Right now this is dead when the next X5M or inevitable X7M show up, and they probably wont have that weird look either.
Gone : 135i 2008 | Gone : 2008 535i Touring|
Appreciate 1
Ibiza3611.50
      10-03-2022, 11:01 AM   #20
Al Pinã
Major
United_States
Rep

All the armchair experts talking about what this car can't do and it hasn't even been fully tested by the Youtube bloggers yet, let alone fully instrumented testing. Unbunch your panties and be patient before jumping to conclusions.
XMan9.00
      10-03-2022, 03:36 PM   #21
gatordent2007
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 750xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Pinã View Post
All the armchair experts talking about what this car can't do and it hasn't even been fully tested by the Youtube bloggers yet, let alone fully instrumented testing. Unbunch your panties and be patient before jumping to conclusions.
So you somehow think the the YouTubers are going to magically increase the performance numbers? Again, even with the car outperforming its stated BMW numbers, there’s still a very good possibility it’s the slowest car in its class and it’s supposed to be a “special product” BMW put out. I’m a BMW fanboy through and through, but this one is a head scratcher performance wise to me.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2022, 04:15 PM   #22
JAKE_7
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHARMAATL View Post
Yep RSQ8 is a good example, but we don't really need to even leave the BMW dealership. The X5/6M Comp would roast the XM. The issue here is very similar to what happened with the i8, striking (for better or worse) design with performance that just doesn't seem to match up with the pricing.
Before comparison, let's have RSQ8, X5 M, etc get their hybrid variant otherwise we are just wasting time. Remove the Hybrid weight from XM and you will have a very different car. Nothing to compare with yet.
The objectives of the XM were fully met. Produce a powerful luxury SUV that meets some of the government EV requirements. No other M model, or others can beat that for now. This is the big picture.
Appreciate 1
PNWM3535.00