BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-25-2022, 07:54 AM   #1
Tejas1836
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5MC Workmaster 75

Alcantara Sun Visor Sticker Removal

I did not find this using search, delete if a dupe
This is how I did it except I used denatured EtOH, let it soak for 6 minutes.
There will always be some residual imprint, iirc these are hot pressed on, but on mine it is almost imperceptible when brushed a certain way after it dries.
This will also work on plastic, the residual imprint, in my experience, will be more noticeable than on the alcantara.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwqSDbtwsPo
Appreciate 4
      03-02-2023, 06:16 PM   #2
Tejas1836
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5MC Workmaster 75

These are the best pics that I could get, difficult to see unless looked at just right, o/w you would never know stickers were there. There is a residual light sheen from what I think was a hot press when they were applied
Attached Images

03-02-2023, 06:34 PM   #3
chefwong
Major
Rep
Drives: X5

Under most situations, probably the only person would be you....ya know. Most people sitting inside won't even notice, especially given that's it's also dark looking up. I see the textural imprint but again, I'm looking for it since I know a sticker is there. Good job

I considered just having an upholstery guy redo it but a WAG guess would be 2/3 of the Euro in itself. Good upholstery guys IME are not cheap
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2023, 02:47 AM   #4
PinkNinja400Guy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 X7 M50

There was a thread about this on the X7 forum. That one showed how you can remove the sunvisor from the car, but basically the same process. Soak a towel in high concentration isopropyl or denatured ethanol (or methanol, very toxic but potentially more effective) and let it sit on top of the sticker, then the sticker peels off with just a shadow left behind. Scrub with a soaked microfiber if the sticker wasn't fully removed at first. The shadow left behind is not noticeable unless you look directly at the visor. Not having the bright white/yellow sticker does make the interior a bit nicer, this mod is worth it since it's so easy to do.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2023, 06:04 PM   #5
Brian10596
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5, Subaru Outback

I’m planning on trying Goof Off. It worked on stickers for me in past my car will be delivered in a week or so and it’s first on my list to be done. It’s dissolves most glues and you have to repeat a few times and you blot it up with towels. The stuff stinks but after a few days it’s ok

https://www.amazon.com/Goof-Off-FG65...%2C1011&sr=8-3
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2023, 08:44 PM   #6
Brian10596
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5, Subaru Outback

I picked up my car today and my sun visor were made from an embossed material and the sticker looked like it was printed directly on the visor. The visor is definitely a material different from the headliner which is Anthracite. I guess I got the cheaper visors with that headliner. That woke sticker is still ugly are there any options other than a $800 visor from Europe.
Appreciate 0