10-26-2022, 04:45 PM   #1
okumam
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2023

Any general advice for pickup day?

Some things that come to my mind, but I don't know if these are accurate:

* Finalize paperwork ahead of time.
* Don't buy anything extra in the excitement- all accessories, extended warranties and so on can be bought later.
* Check for ????

What is your advice for pickup day?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2022, 05:32 PM   #2
Shllshck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 428i GC, 2023 X6 40i

Depends on your plans for the new car. If you are going to do PPF and Ceramic, for example, you can ask your CA to not do to new car prep/wash.

Whether you elect any extras, it all depends on your specific situation. Some here have benefited from purchasing the Tire and Wheel protection. That is one warranty you can’t purchase from the dealership or another BMW dealership once you drive off the lot. Others have benefited from windshield replacement. As for extended warranty, it’s certainly worth shopping around. If you plan on buying, you can shop around now and use the best quotes you receive as leverage against the Finance Manager who will do his best to scare you and fleece you.

The dealer add-ons like interior/exterior protection I would pass on. Ultimate Care, many, including myself, find of little value.

If doing a trade-in, it would be good to obtain quotes from the likes of a CarMax, Carvana, etc…

Definitely take your time in doing the physical inspection. Not sure if you had a custom build or buying something from inventory. If custom, look over the window sticker and make sure what you ordered, options/packages are all there. Be sure the trim level is correct. A few users have run into wrong trim issues. Make sure to allow for a couple of hours at the dealership. These transactions, even when price have already been negotiated ahead time, can take way longer than expected for whatever reason. “We need you to fill out the loan app again. We need you to contact your insurance company to email proof of insurance before we allow delivery.”
Appreciate 2
      10-26-2022, 07:30 PM   #3
1stbimmer22
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 45e

Interesting thread! We are also expecting our 45e in November! My questions might come as borderline OCD so apologize in advance. I always prefer my cars to have all wrappings intact as much as possible - like :
1. Plastic wrappings on infotainment screen/instrument panel - as I plan to put screen protector on them
2. Plastic wrappings on seats?? Wrappings on foot pedals, gear stick, steering etc?

Is it OK to ask dealer - not to remove any of these? Asking cause I have heard dealers use your cars before your delivery for making YouTube videos / demos etc?

What are the experiences for folks who got their delivery? Are these above wrappings intact or dealers remove everything?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2022, 08:32 PM   #4
Shllshck
Lieutenant
Rep

Some people request the white plastic placed for transport to be left on as well. So you definitely can ask for all the plastics to be left in place. For my pick up, the interior plastics were still in place except on the seats.

A dealer using a customer ordered car for demos or test drives is just asking for a huge reputation hit. If you custom ordered, expect the car to have very low miles.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2022, 09:54 PM   #5
1stbimmer22
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shllshck View Post
Some people request the white plastic placed for transport to be left on as well. So you definitely can ask for all the plastics to be left in place. For my pick up, the interior plastics were still in place except on the seats.

A dealer using a customer ordered car for demos or test drives is just asking for a huge reputation hit. If you custom ordered, expect the car to have very low miles.
Thanks! I definitely want the interior plastic covers left as is. BTW what is the white plastic placed for transport you said?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2022, 11:39 PM   #6
Shllshck
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stbimmer22 View Post
Thanks! I definitely want the interior plastic covers left as is. BTW what is the white plastic placed for transport you said?
It’s what you see on the BMWs in this photo.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      10-27-2022, 09:52 AM   #7
1stbimmer22
Rep

Quote:
It’s what you see on the BMWs in this photo.
Thank you! I did not know about this. But ya these would be a pain to get it out myself so I would prefer to keep the plastics/coverings only for stuff that is indoor.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2022, 09:56 AM   #8
arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: LeMans/ Chestnut E90, RWD

Quote:
Quote:
It's what you see on the BMWs in this photo.
Thank you! I did not know about this. But ya these would be a pain to get it out myself so I would prefer to keep the plastics/coverings only for stuff that is indoor.
You literally peel it off. No skill required
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2022, 10:41 AM   #9
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Make no mistake about it: your X5 will not look very pretty coming off that truck. Mine had some piece of plastic flapping on the front bumper and it required polishing to fix. It's an X5. Not a limited edition Porsche. Let the dealership prep it so it looks nice in the showroom when you pick it up.

And a top tip if you don't want to get cornered in the finance guy's office when he/she starts pitching all the additional warranties: just say you won't keep it but a few months until the LCI comes out. You'll be out of there in no time!
Appreciate 1
arciga181732.50
      10-27-2022, 10:59 AM   #10
bmwakmg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e (Prod Wk46)

Garage List
Not sure about all wrappings but would be nice to have all the screen plastic wrappings left untouched. That way I can put the screen guard without any fingermarks on it.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2022, 01:28 PM   #11
XxChiliPalmerxX
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 X6 M50i

Drive it like you stole it!
2023 X6 M50i - Race Chip GTS Black
2024 Porsche Macan S
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2022, 01:35 PM   #12
leightos
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24 XM,'21 45e 'Lemon', '23 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwakmg View Post
Not sure about all wrappings but would be nice to have all the screen plastic wrappings left untouched. That way I can put the screen guard without any fingermarks on it.
Can you drive it home with the white plastic on the hood, etc? I think I would like to keep that on until I get the ceramic on it.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2022, 01:47 PM   #13
Natlix
Rep
Drives: BMW x5 45e

Picked mine up last Friday. All the stickers on the interior were left on so it was fun taking them off.

Make sure the battery is fully charged before taking delivery and inspect the car for any potential transport damage.

Have about 800 miles already, when we break and slow from 1mph to 0mph the car produces a hard thump when coming to a stop. Has anyone experienced this?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2022, 02:00 PM   #14
Shllshck
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natlix View Post
Have about 800 miles already, when we break and slow from 1mph to 0mph the car produces a hard thump when coming to a stop. Has anyone experienced this?
Natlix I would create a new thread and post that question in the general X5 section vs buried here in the Pricing, Ordering, Tracking section. You’ll get more eyes on your question that way.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2022, 02:21 PM   #15
Natlix
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Natlix I would create a new thread and post that question in the general X5 section vs buried here in the Pricing, Ordering, Tracking section. You’ll get more eyes on your question that way.
Quote:
Quote:
Natlix I would create a new thread and post that question in the general X5 section vs buried here in the Pricing, Ordering, Tracking section. You'll get more eyes on your question that way.
Will do, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2022, 06:36 PM   #16
jiggie
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Picked mine up last Friday. All the stickers on the interior were left on so it was fun taking them off.

Make sure the battery is fully charged before taking delivery and inspect the car for any potential transport damage.

The dealership isn't allowed to release the vehicle until its been changed to at least 90%.

As for the hard brake/thump, do you have Auto Hold enabled by chance?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2022, 09:49 PM   #17
Natlix
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggie View Post
Quote:

The dealership isn't allowed to release the vehicle until its been changed to at least 90%.

As for the hard brake/thump, do you have Auto Hold enabled by chance?
I do have it enabled but it does it when it's not on as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2022, 09:59 PM   #18
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
I do have it enabled but it does it when it's not on as well.
Do you have MSport brakes? Those can be grabby and it takes a bit to get used to them in order to stop smoothly.
      11-14-2022, 03:26 PM   #19
1stbimmer22
Rep

Guys - is it normal for dealership to ask cash payments in cashiers check - instead of regular check? I thought simple personal checks were fine. Any experiences for folks who did not finance and paid in full?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2022, 03:51 PM   #20
leightos
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24 XM,'21 45e 'Lemon', '23 45e

Quote:
Guys - is it normal for dealership to ask cash payments in cashiers check - instead of regular check? I thought simple personal checks were fine. Any experiences for folks who did not finance and paid in full?
I've had dealers take my 5 figure personal checks. I asked about that once and the guy said "if it bounces we can have cops at your door charging with felony auto theft... so don't bounce it"

He did tell me a story about a guy who stopped payment on a check because there was a ding in the car. They called him and said "you got 24hours to bring in a new check or you will be charged"

can't hurt to get a cashier's check if your bank is close... I am buying soon and plan to write a personal check.
Appreciate 1
      11-14-2022, 03:55 PM   #21
1stbimmer22
Rep

I have always paid using personal checks - so that's why was little confused. I agree Cashier's check is easy - but still a special visit to the bank.
Appreciate 1
leightos189.50
      11-14-2022, 04:34 PM   #22
Shllshck
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I think there is a preference for a cashiers check over a personal check. A dealership might place a limit on how much you can write a personal check for. My dealer allows personal checks and there is some check verification service they use, so long as it clears they accept. With that said, cashier’s check makes for smoother process but does mean you have to go to you bank.
Appreciate 0