E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Looking for a new PCV setup

03-11-2023, 02:30 PM   #1
oZades
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i

Looking for a new PCV setup

From what I've seen I should get a new OEM valve cover, block head ports, RB external PCV to Mishimoto catch can, and I can use the current catch can I have for the high side. Are there any better setups I can use? I don't want to go m18 or vtt. I'm on twins.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2023, 02:38 PM   #2
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

I've been running a new OEM valve cover, new OEM flapper valve, and an RB PCV valve for the last few years....making close to 600hp at 25psi boost on hybrid twins and it's been working great! The OEM system works really well....not sure why everyone always insists on tinkering with it.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2023, 09:09 PM   #3
GnomeChild
IN54NE
Rep
Drives: e90 335i LCI M-Sport

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
The OEM PCV is adequate and even preferred for a stock or upgraded twin turbo setup. The only benefit in running an external PCV system is if you run a dual OCC setup for both high and low pressure sides and only sees benefits in a high boost single turbo application (25+psi).

The OEM system is actually very well designed and I would not encourage anyone upgrade to any of the aftermarket metal/aluminum valve covers on a twin turbo setup as they all get rid of the cyclonic oil separators and assume you will be externalizing your PCV. The only metal valve cover that retains the oil separators are the sketchy eBay/Chinesium Aluminum VCs that have recently appeared on the scene with varying reported degrees of casting quality, fit, and finish. Plenty of members have reported good things about them but equally many have shared horror stories with leaks/cracks/etc. If you are going to take a risk on the Chinesium aluminum VCs, service the PCV system immediately as there have been reports of metal shavings left in the system from finishing that will need to be cleaned out before ultimate installation on your N54.

An upgraded PCV and traditional OCC will solve 90% of your problems in a twin turbo setup. My PO installed a Mishimoto OCC system before selling me the car and it has served me well (although the black anodized finish has oxidized and it's more of a deep bronze now). It's a good can (with massive long vacuum lines lol), extremely fine threads and finish, that looks OEM and has gone under the radar during smog 3 times now thanks to the cabin filter cowl/engine cover covering the rest of the system. I upgraded the PCV to an aluminum RB one and called it a day. Can fills up about halfway every 10k miles (2 oil changes) but doesn't eliminate oil vapor completely however substantially reduces it. I just serviced the can and it was about halfway full, so it's working as intended

You can run your proposed system but will see minimal benefits with lower than high boost and/or without single turbo applications. Your system will catch about as much oil as a traditional single OCC setup using the OEM PCV system