Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Mounting your winter tires/rims?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

07-10-2005, 10:05 AM   #1
mikepinkerton
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Mounting your winter tires/rims?

Ok, so let's say that I decide to take the plunge and get a set of winter tires and rims ($$$$ ouch!). I wouldn't really feel right having my local tire place store them, so I'd keep them in my garage.

So what do people do when they need to put on the winter rims? Do you cram them in the car and drive to the local tire place or do you put them on yourselves? Is there a reason why you wouldn't want to do it yourself, besides being a pain and having to go buy a jack?

Curious.
-Mike
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2005, 10:25 AM   #2
Mark
Administrator
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
do it yourself, its so simple, why pay anyone else to do it ? Just make sure you put them on tight

If you've never changed a wheel before, you may want to read on how to do it first, its very simple, but if you've never done it you may miss something that would make your life easier.

Just a quick run down on what to do:

1) Get yourself a jack, also a wrench/breaker bar will make your life 10x easier.. These wrenches made for cars are long with a nice grip, it GREATLY reduces the amount of strength needed to loosen/tighten the lugs.

2) While car is on the ground, loosen all 5 lugs (dont take them out, just loosen them!). The reason for doing this, is that they are held on real tight, and you don't want to be banging on a wrench while the car is off the ground.

3) Now, raise the car off the ground with the jack, the wheel should not be on the ground at all.

4) Now fully remove the lugs, be careful as the wheel will fall off the hub easily.

5) Take the wheel off the car.

6) Inspect the hub and make sure there is no extra rust or residue.. give it a quick wipe and try to make the surface even and clean. (there will likely be rust and discolorization)

7) Put the new wheel on and put in 2 lugs at opposite sides of the wheels. Make sure you put them at opposite sides and tighten them up fairly tight. Make sure that as you are tightening the lugs, the wheel stays perfectly flat on the hub surface. Sometimes when tightening the wheel can jar in at a certain angle which would be very bad. So after you tighten the 2 lugs, spin the wheel to make sure it looks even against the hub at all points (360degrees)

9) Put on the rest of the lugs in the same fashion (going from opposite sides), make them all semi-tight.

10) Lower the car to the ground.

11) Now fully tighten the lugs, I believe BMW spec is around 88-90 ft-lbs of torque

07-10-2005, 04:24 PM   #3
mikepinkerton
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Awesome, thanks. I noticed the manual has a diagram of jacking points, are they easy to find on the car? Obviously I don't have a bmw so I can't go check myself

How does one gauge torque on the lugs? I assume I shouldn't use a drill fitting as that might overtighten?

-Mike
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2005, 04:52 PM   #4
Mark
Administrator
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepinkerton
Awesome, thanks. I noticed the manual has a diagram of jacking points, are they easy to find on the car? Obviously I don't have a bmw so I can't go check myself

How does one gauge torque on the lugs? I assume I shouldn't use a drill fitting as that might overtighten?

-Mike

yea you cant miss them, they are giant plastic blocks sitting under the sideskirts

as for torque on lugs, theres a special wrench called a torque wrench which has a little meter so you can select exactly how much torque you want applied.
      05-14-2006, 04:37 AM   #5
English e91
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2005 320 d sport touring

Exclamation

hi, but over here in the UK the cars do not come with a spare wheel or jack to raise the car off thbe ground... do yours ?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2006, 08:37 AM   #6
KL2DC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 428i,E90 328i, E85 Z4 3.0i

Garage List
2015 F36 428i  [0.00]
2011 E90 328i  [0.00]
2006 E85 Z4 3.0i  [0.00]
I believe all e90s do not come with provision for spare tire / jack due to BMWs fascination with RFTs but you can get purchase a BMW jack set from your dealer, a search will net you the appropriate p/n.

Official DC Metro Registry - Current, New & Prospective Area Members Roll Call!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2007, 10:33 PM   #7
trick50
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Space Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkE90M3 View Post
do it yourself, its so simple, why pay anyone else to do it ? Just make sure you put them on tight

If you've never changed a wheel before, you may want to read on how to do it first, its very simple, but if you've never done it you may miss something that would make your life easier.

Just a quick run down on what to do:

1) Get yourself a jack, also a wrench/breaker bar will make your life 10x easier.. These wrenches made for cars are long with a nice grip, it GREATLY reduces the amount of strength needed to loosen/tighten the lugs.

2) While car is on the ground, loosen all 5 lugs (dont take them out, just loosen them!). The reason for doing this, is that they are held on real tight, and you don't want to be banging on a wrench while the car is off the ground.

3) Now, raise the car off the ground with the jack, the wheel should not be on the ground at all.

4) Now fully remove the lugs, be careful as the wheel will fall off the hub easily.

5) Take the wheel off the car.

6) Inspect the hub and make sure there is no extra rust or residue.. give it a quick wipe and try to make the surface even and clean. (there will likely be rust and discolorization)

7) Put the new wheel on and put in 2 lugs at opposite sides of the wheels. Make sure you put them at opposite sides and tighten them up fairly tight. Make sure that as you are tightening the lugs, the wheel stays perfectly flat on the hub surface. Sometimes when tightening the wheel can jar in at a certain angle which would be very bad. So after you tighten the 2 lugs, spin the wheel to make sure it looks even against the hub at all points (360degrees)

9) Put on the rest of the lugs in the same fashion (going from opposite sides), make them all semi-tight.

10) Lower the car to the ground.

11) Now fully tighten the lugs, I believe BMW spec is around 88-90 ft-lbs of torque

Suggestions:

If you are doing a DIY about changing a "wheel" which is a fairly simple DIY (basic automotive knowledge) wouldn't it be a good idea to show/tell how to jack up the car? Where is the best jacking point? Jacking up the rear; use the jack pads or jack it right up from the rear diff? The only reason I recomend this is that if someone is replying on this DIY to change a wheel/tire and they do not know the basics of changing a tire which you basically summed up, then they probably DO NOT know how to jack a car up properly.

Just a thought.
07 E92 335i,Sport,I-drive,Cold Weather,Bluetooth,Beyern Mesh 19",M-Pedals,Rear Fogs,Gp Thunder,Carbon Roundels,Coming Soon JB2,Vorsteiner Decklid,OEM Aero LipRIP9/8/06-12/11/07 Gone but never forgotten
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2007, 08:26 PM   #8
Jaws
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i mt

This thread is from May of 2006. There have been many discussions since then regarding jack points.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2007, 10:22 AM   #9
JLL325ci
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

Buy a small jack at Sears for $20
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2007, 11:26 AM   #10
Kiss335i
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

I but a jack from Wall Mart, 20 $, but the clearance of the front wheels was 1/2 inch to short for the jack, so I just drive the car's front wheels overs 2 smalls wood tablets to raise up the car and be able to slide the jack under the front jacks pads. Then it was very easy to change my summer wheels for the the winter wheels.

K.I.S.S ...Keep it simple stupid
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 02:00 PM   #11
monkeyboy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 328xi

Sorry to resurrect this old thread.... but as a newbie, it seemed apropos...

I had the chance to (try to) remove a rear wheel the first time (as a part of the alarm install) on my newly acquired 2007 328xi. However, after I removed all the lugs, the wheel+tire still would not budge or come off. I then removed the plastic BMW cap and found inside the cap, the mount fitting was surprisingly rusted (given that the rest of the car appears to be in pristine condition). My questions are:

1) have I forgotten something ? why didn't the wheel come off easily ? (the rust perhaps?)

2) is it normal to have so much rust underneath that plastic wheel cap ? for a 2007 328xi that otherwise looks news ?

thx
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 06:30 PM   #12
Orient330iNYC
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
Sorry to resurrect this old thread.... but as a newbie, it seemed apropos...

I had the chance to (try to) remove a rear wheel the first time (as a part of the alarm install) on my newly acquired 2007 328xi. However, after I removed all the lugs, the wheel+tire still would not budge or come off. I then removed the plastic BMW cap and found inside the cap, the mount fitting was surprisingly rusted (given that the rest of the car appears to be in pristine condition). My questions are:

1) have I forgotten something ? why didn't the wheel come off easily ? (the rust perhaps?)

2) is it normal to have so much rust underneath that plastic wheel cap ? for a 2007 328xi that otherwise looks news ?

thx
galvanic corrosion between the aluminum wheel and steel hub. normal especially when they use salt on the roads in the winter...

aluminum oxide is fluffy, white, and will "weld" the rim to the hub.

use to pb blaster and spray the junction between the hub and wheel. let it sit. take a deadblow mallet and start tapping around the circumfrence of the tire. apply more penetrating oil. let sit. more tapping. eventually it will pop loose.

to keep it from happening in the future, clean both the hub and the wheel bore with a wire brush, and then apply a coat of either copper antiseize or high temp grease to both the hub and the wheel bore.
Past: 2019 G01 M40i ZDA/2VF/ZPP/ZPX/688/3AC
Appreciate 0