BMW XM (G09) Forums General BMW XM Forum New XM in the Pacific Northwest

08-06-2023, 10:40 AM   #1
PNWM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW XM

New XM in the Pacific Northwest

I was one of the first to preorder the XM last fall, and mine arrived at the dealership a few months ago. Based on initial reviews and my experience with BMW's M4 GTS launch, where they promised 300 units but dropped 100 more, lowering their values, I decided to wait.

The wait is finally over, and I traded in my 2021 Alpina XB7 for the new XM. The current lease deals are strong, and I wanted a change. If you have an Alpina XB7 and need winter wheels, I put my old set on 21" Alpina wheels in the classifieds.

Overall, my impression is positive. Despite little things like no rear door comfort access and the key fob not fitting any key rings, I'm happy.

This car has received a lot of hate from diehard BMW fans, who had strong feelings about what it should have been as the first stand-alone M car since the M1. However, evaluating it on its own, it's pretty awesome. It's fun to drive, loved by people in person, comfortable, super quick, and I appreciate the electric mode for quick trips.

I don't plan to keep it forever; it'll be fun for a few years. I'm really looking forward to an M5 wagon when it becomes available. As for whether it'll age well and become a "classic," I don't really care. I dig it. If you're on the fence, go drive one; there are deals available now, and I'd choose it over an X5M any day.

I took these photos a day apart in different lighting conditions. I'm really enjoying the Dravit Grey with the gold trim; it seems to have a "personality" that reflects the atmosphere it's in. It's a fun combination. I went with the Deep Lagoon with Vintage Coffee interior and the B&W stereo. It's different, and I usually go for black on black, but it's a nice change.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      08-06-2023, 10:47 AM   #2
TKSH
Rep
Drives: '23 XM & 911, '24 392 & RS7

Congratulations! I love the XM. Anything this new and different (vastly different aesthetically for BMW) was bound to receive hate. I am not sure I understand why this much hate tho. My SA does say competitors have "plants" on all the social media sites to generate the vitriol, I guess I never really thought of that. The issues the XM is having along w/ the failed Pike's Peak race haven't helped it tho. Enjoy your new ride!
Appreciate 1
PNWM3535.00
      08-06-2023, 05:21 PM   #3
XM Label
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: XM/XB7

Garage List
2024 XM Label  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWM3 View Post
I was one of the first to preorder the XM last fall, and mine arrived at the dealership a few months ago. Based on initial reviews and my experience with BMW's M4 GTS launch, where they promised 300 units but dropped 100 more, lowering their values, I decided to wait.

The wait is finally over, and I traded in my 2021 Alpina XB7 for the new XM. The current lease deals are strong, and I wanted a change. If you have an Alpina XB7 and need winter wheels, I put my old set on 21" Alpina wheels in the classifieds.

Overall, my impression is positive. Despite little things like no rear door comfort access and the key fob not fitting any key rings, I'm happy.

This car has received a lot of hate from diehard BMW fans, who had strong feelings about what it should have been as the first stand-alone M car since the M1. However, evaluating it on its own, it's pretty awesome. It's fun to drive, loved by people in person, comfortable, super quick, and I appreciate the electric mode for quick trips.

I don't plan to keep it forever; it'll be fun for a few years. I'm really looking forward to an M5 wagon when it becomes available. As for whether it'll age well and become a "classic," I don't really care. I dig it. If you're on the fence, go drive one; there are deals available now, and I'd choose it over an X5M any day.

I took these photos a day apart in different lighting conditions. I'm really enjoying the Dravit Grey with the gold trim; it seems to have a "personality" that reflects the atmosphere it's in. It's a fun combination. I went with the Deep Lagoon with [...]
Congratulations! I know it maybe hard to compare but overall can you give me your thoughts on which one you like better? I have an XB7 and XM coming in this year but am thinking about getting two of the same instead of one of each…..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2023, 06:37 PM   #4
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Wait, why in the world is there no rear door comfort access???
      08-06-2023, 06:44 PM   #5
mikerx5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 F06, 2022 G06

Thats a really gorgeous color combo - first one that is non black that looks really good. Nice choices!
Appreciate 1
PNWM3535.00
      08-07-2023, 12:19 AM   #6
PNWM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWXMBlack View Post
Congratulations! I know it maybe hard to compare but overall can you give me your thoughts on which one you like better? I have an XB7 and XM coming in this year but am thinking about getting two of the same instead of one of each…..
The XB7 and XM are both exceptional and rare vehicles. Since acquiring my XB7 in 2021, I've never seen either on the road. The XM's softest setting feels like the XB7 in Sport Plus mode, while its hardest setting reminds me of my former M5.

For family trips requiring speed, the XB7 is excellent. It handles long drives effortlessly, but on twisty roads, its weight becomes noticeable. The XM, on the other hand, feels more capable overall. Despite the XB7 LCI's updated interior, the XM feels more modern.

I rarely used the buttons/paddles on the XB7, whereas I frequently use them on the XM. I cherished my time with the Alpina, but a week into the XM, I don't miss it. They both offer similar features, such as adaptive cruise. However, if you need a trailer hitch or a third row, choose the XB7. Currently, our other vehicle fulfills those needs, making the XM suitable for me. I'm actually more inclined towards an M5 wagon, but the XM is a good placeholder.

It's worth noting that the XB7s depreciate rapidly, so I'd recommend leasing over buying. The XM might fare better in terms of lease rates currently as they’re trying to move them off of dealer lots.

I loved my XB7, I’m loving the XM a little more.
Appreciate 2
XM Label904.50
tuxic1.50
      08-07-2023, 12:20 AM   #7
PNWM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post
My SA mentioned that’s the case on other newer BMWs as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2023, 09:52 AM   #8
Gfit
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3M, 2024 X5M. Sold 2022

Can you provide more details on the “deals” you are seeing?. I checked a month ago and every dealer around me had one or two in the lot but weren’t offering much of a discount. Figured it wouldn’t be long but holding out for at least $20k+
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2023, 12:28 PM   #9
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Congrats on your XM.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 1
PNWM3535.00
      08-29-2023, 01:17 AM   #10
rundeyvoo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 / X3 / 330e / 330i

Quote:

I took these photos a day apart in different lighting conditions. I'm really enjoying the Dravit Grey with the gold trim; it seems to have a "personality" that reflects the atmosphere it's in. It's a fun combination. I went with the Deep Lagoon with Vintage Coffee interior and the B&W stereo. It's different, and I usually go for black on black, but it's a nice change.
Congratulations!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2023, 09:55 AM   #11
padrino
Alpina!
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post
It must be the build date, my XM does have rear soft close, just checked to be sure..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2023, 09:30 PM   #12
gan23
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5M '18 XM’23 X5 50e 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by padrino View Post
It must be the build date, my XM does have rear soft close, just checked to be sure..
Not soft close but comfort access…. Locking unlocking with the door handle
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2023, 12:03 AM   #13
PNWM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gan23 View Post
Not soft close but comfort access…. Locking unlocking with the door handle
Right. Mine has soft close but not comfort access. I often put my one or two bags of groceries behind the driver seat and remembering to have to unlock the door is a PITA
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2023, 08:53 AM   #14
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: I6-> iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfit View Post
Can you provide more details on the “deals” you are seeing?. I checked a month ago and every dealer around me had one or two in the lot but weren’t offering much of a discount. Figured it wouldn’t be long but holding out for at least $20k+
Check the northeast. My local dealer had three. More xM than In stock x1 or x3. Discounts are strong. It’s not selling out of the gate like they wanted.

I’ll say this- the presence on the road is incredible. I was near one the other day and was taken back on how in your face it is- and those tail light indicators look great when it’s weaving in traffic. It’s not the worst - they have had major drivetrain issues with the battery. But once this is resolved it’s a solid brute of an SUV.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12971.00
      09-01-2023, 09:00 AM   #15
PNWM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

The new Cayenne Turbo E-Hybrid has 729hp and starts around $150k. BMW got greedy with the Label Red nonsense and shots themselves in the foot by under powering what easily could have been a 750hp vehicle. The XM is still awesome for what it is, but $20k overpriced which is why I waited until recently to grab the one I did after ordering this exact spec and letting it sit at the dealer a few months until BMW dropped the proper incentives. They did the same thing with the M8 when they first launched those.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12971.00
      09-01-2023, 09:01 PM   #16
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
The new Cayenne Turbo E-Hybrid has 729hp and starts around $150k. BMW got greedy with the Label Red nonsense and shots themselves in the foot by under powering what easily could have been a 750hp vehicle. The XM is still awesome for what it is, but $20k overpriced which is why I waited until recently to grab the one I did after ordering this exact spec and letting it sit at the dealer a few months until BMW dropped the proper incentives. They did the same thing with the M8 when they first launched those.
Don’t forget that Porsche will easily goes up to $200k with all the options that is standard with XM.
Tried to spec Cayenne over X5 or Macan over X3, and both I ended up with BMW.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2023, 01:13 AM   #17
PNWM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Don’t forget that Porsche will easily goes up to $200k with all the options that is standard with XM.
Tried to spec Cayenne over X5 or Macan over X3, and both I ended up with BMW.
Good points. XM still should have been 750hp at this price.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12971.00