BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-09-2023, 03:39 PM   #1
wxdave
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 50e

Will the 50e charge 12V from HV battery?

I’m waiting for delivery of my X5 50e, and wanting to put in an aftermarket front/rear camera monitoring system that’s always on. I’m wondering if anyone knows if the 50e will charge the 12V battery from the high-voltage battery while the car is parked (like my Tesla Model S would). I don’t want to drain the 12V battery if parked (like at the airport) for several days but also want the security monitoring.

It’s too bad that BMW does not allow for use of all its cameras for security recording like newer Teslas will.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2023, 07:23 PM   #2
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxdave View Post
I’m waiting for delivery of my X5 50e, and wanting to put in an aftermarket front/rear camera monitoring system that’s always on. I’m wondering if anyone knows if the 50e will charge the 12V battery from the high-voltage battery while the car is parked (like my Tesla Model S would). I don’t want to drain the 12V battery if parked (like at the airport) for several days but also want the security monitoring.

It’s too bad that BMW does not allow for use of all its cameras for security recording like newer Teslas will.
the HV battery does keep the 12V battery charged, but not when on standby and unplugged such as in the parking lot of an airport. when on standby, the HV battery isn't flowing any electrons to maintain it (unless plugged in). critical electronics such as the internal clock or the Comfort Access receiver draw from the 12V battery. installing a product like you mentioned runs the risk of depleting it, and you will likely receive a Check Control message from the vehicle detecting excess battery draw.

your purpose is best served by supplying power to the device through an external battery pack. search the forum and you will find several threads and posts of folks who hardwired their dash cams into the vehicle's power supply only to have to disconnect it, though a few have been successful through their intimate knowledge of electronics in general
Appreciate 1
wxdave70.50
      08-09-2023, 08:22 PM   #3
wxdave
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
the HV battery does keep the 12V battery charged, but not when on standby and unplugged such as in the parking lot of an airport. when on standby, the HV battery isn't flowing any electrons to maintain it (unless plugged in). critical electronics such as the internal clock or the Comfort Access receiver draw from the 12V battery. installing a product like you mentioned runs the risk of depleting it, and you will likely receive a Check Control message from the vehicle detecting excess battery draw.

your purpose is best served by supplying power to the device through an external battery pack. search the forum and you will find several threads and posts of folks who hardwired their dash cams into the vehicle's power supply only to have to disconnect it, though a few have been successful through their intimate knowledge of electronics in general
Thanks for the info and confirming what I feared. I am aware of using a dedicated batter for this purpose but will search for the posts you allude to.
Appreciate 0