BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-19-2023, 10:26 AM   #1
g8who
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5 50e

Comfort access door unlock question

Has anyone noticed when you double touch the passenger side door it opens up all the doors? The first touch opens the passenger door and the second opens all the others which is great! (i have it set to open one door when I touch the door) BUT this doesn't happen on the driver's side door. Does anyone know if this is functioning as designed or is there some setting I've missed in the menu??

This would really solve the issue of them not putting comfort access sensors on the rear doors!

FYI I have a 2024 50e.

Thank you in advance!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2023, 04:02 PM   #2
BMPHIL
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by g8who View Post
Has anyone noticed when you double touch the passenger side door it opens up all the doors? The first touch opens the passenger door and the second opens all the others which is great! (i have it set to open one door when I touch the door) BUT this doesn't happen on the driver's side door. Does anyone know if this is functioning as designed or is there some setting I've missed in the menu??

This would really solve the issue of them not putting comfort access sensors on the rear doors!

FYI I have a 2024 50e.

Thank you in advance!
It still wouldn't let you open the car from the rear doors.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2023, 04:43 PM   #3
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

A double-touch on the CA sensor has opened all doors on a BMW for ages...it's not new logic. If you use the keyfob, it will do the same thing.
Appreciate 1
LDT1620.50
      08-19-2023, 04:55 PM   #4
goofytek
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X5 40i M-Sport

Garage List
on my Pre-LCI, I have it set to only unlock only Drivers door first touch, then All doors 2nd Touch. If I touch the Passenger or any of the Rear doors First, it unlocks All Doors Immediately. Bought my X5 to be a Family Hauler so having CA on the Rear Doors have been great to have.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2023, 05:21 PM   #5
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

That's normal behavior unless you program it to unlock all doors.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2023, 09:15 AM   #6
Guy Fleegman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e

My car is always unlocked when in the garage. Sometimes when I touch the handle to open the door, it locks. The mirrors fold in. I have to wait for this process to complete before I can unlock it. It only happens if I have the fob with me, never if I'm just opening the unlocked door to get something out of the car.

I checked all the iDrive settings I can find. Automatic lock/unlock option boxes are unchecked.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2023, 10:06 AM   #7
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Fleegman View Post
My car is always unlocked when in the garage. Sometimes when I touch the handle to open the door, it locks. The mirrors fold in. I have to wait for this process to complete before I can unlock it. It only happens if I have the fob with me, never if I'm just opening the unlocked door to get something out of the car.

I checked all the iDrive settings I can find. Automatic lock/unlock option boxes are unchecked.
make sure you’re not touching the ridges (first photo) in the process of grabbing the handle and opening the door. that’s likely the reason you keep inadvertently locking your vehicle. move your hand more towards the center of the handle as indicated by the arrow (second photo). one lady in the FB group had this complaint when we determined it was user error
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-20-2023, 12:41 PM   #8
g8who
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
A double-touch on the CA sensor has opened all doors on a BMW for ages...it's not new logic. If you use the keyfob, it will do the same thing.
The double touch works perfectly on the passenger side but on the drivers side it doesn't do it. That's the mystery I'm trying to figure out. Whether its user error or the double touch isn't supported on the driver's side.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2023, 04:55 PM   #9
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

A single touch on all doors except the driver's door has opened all doors on all of my BMWs (now, I'm only on my third). But, a double-grab to the driver's handle has unlocked all doors (I have it programmed in iDrive to only 'normally' unlock the driver's door). I don't need that feature often, but will check it on my next drive. Depending on the direction I approach the vehicle, sometimes, it's just easier to grab the driver's side passenger door handle instead of the driver's door as I pass. Unfortunately, that won't work on the 2024MY, as it has no rear door sensors.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2023, 08:24 AM   #10
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by g8who View Post
The double touch works perfectly on the passenger side but on the drivers side it doesn't do it. That's the mystery I'm trying to figure out. Whether its user error or the double touch isn't supported on the driver's side.
Hmmm...so your X5 operates as if it is a RHD (right hand drive) G05...except the steering wheel is on the left side?

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2023, 10:53 AM   #11
Guy Fleegman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
make sure you’re not touching the ridges (first photo) in the process of grabbing the handle and opening the door. that’s likely the reason you keep inadvertently locking your vehicle. move your hand more towards the center of the handle as indicated by the arrow (second photo). one lady in the FB group had this complaint when we determined it was user error
Ah, that would explain why it only happens sometimes. I'm sure I read it in the manual somewhere in the 500 pages, but I guess it never occurred to me that opening the door was such a complex operation.

Thanks for the tip.
Appreciate 1
nZtiZia4763.00
      08-21-2023, 03:20 PM   #12
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

FWIW, I tried the double grip on the driver's door last night, and it did not unlock all of the doors like it did on my previous BMWs. But gripping any of the other doors will unlock them all, so my previous comment is wrong. Now, the 50e without the rear CA may revert back to what had been the case before my 2021 X5...then, it could also be that one of the OTA updates changed the manner in which it works.
Appreciate 0