BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-29-2007, 10:07 AM   #1
imported_markc
Rep
Drives:

Body Side Moulding vs. Body Side Damage

I have been staring at pictures and models of this car for months and just realized that there is no side moulding strip. This must have gone out of style in the 9 years since I bought my 328i.

Looking at the car, I don't see how a side strip would be anything but ugly. On the other hand, a multitude of dings, dents, scratches all over that big side/door panel surface ain't gonna be pretty either!

You guys just figuring on living with the dents?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2007, 10:12 AM   #2
imported_markc
Rep
Drives:

Side Moulding add-ons?

I cringe at the thought of altering the profile appearance of this beautiful car, but I know that it will acquire ugly dents, dings, scratches and blemishes all over the side panel without any body-side moulding.

Anyone have any decent ideas/pictures/suggestions as to how one might add a side moulding strip without it looking awful? It would have to be a few inches below the height of the door handles to catch the majority of careless assaults.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2007, 10:15 AM   #3
1ster
Large Member
Rep
Drives:

The lack of rub strips on modern cars is a joke. Style over function. That's why every time I see a Rio I think: God bless Kia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markc View Post
You guys just figuring on living with the dents?
Nope. I am a parking Nazi. I will park at the far end of an empty lot to avoid dings. Figure the extra walking does me good anyway.

If you must park next to someone, there are a number of strategies you can employ:

* avoid SUVs because their rub strips are worthless and they leave nasty dimples, especially the rear doors

* avoid areas where people are coming and going a lot. Starbucks are the worst. Park in an area of the lot that isn't right in front of a store with quick customer turnover.

* avoid beaters (sorry, but if they don't care about their own car, they don't care about yours)

* park in the middle of the space, unless you can park at the end of a row, which is always preferable

* avoid cars that look like kidmobiles. Kids lack the motor control of adults, and will frequently push doors open hard. Minivans can be an exception because of their sliding doors.

* never double park. Door dings are better than getting keyed because you parked like an asshole.

* avoid valet at all costs. If unavoidable, cross fingers and pray.

You'd be surprised how effective these strategies can be when used religiously. No system is perfect, but you can cut down on a lot of damage this way.

Damaging other people's cars with your car makes you liable for the property damage inflicted. It's not "OK". It's not "one of those things". It's not a crime (unless it is intentional), but you are liable for the damage under the law. It eludes me why some people think this isn't the case.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2007, 10:41 AM   #4
Imola.ZHP
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i3 BEV EE

Ugh, I cant imagine...

- 2014 CPO i01 BEV Electronaut Edition Capparis White Tera World, '17-
- 2015 CPO i01 BEV Laurel Grey Tera World, '17-
- 2015 i01 REx Laurel Grey Tera World, '15-'17
- 2003 CPO 330i ZHP Imola Red Build 03/03/03, '06-'15
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2007, 11:49 PM   #5
~AJ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ster View Post
The lack of rub strips on modern cars is a joke. Style over function. That's why every time I see a Rio I think: God bless Kia.

Nope. I am a parking Nazi. I will park at the far end of an empty lot to avoid dings. Figure the extra walking does me good anyway.

If you must park next to someone, there are a number of strategies you can employ:

* avoid SUVs because their rub strips are worthless and they leave nasty dimples, especially the rear doors

* avoid areas where people are coming and going a lot. Starbucks are the worst. Park in an area of the lot that isn't right in front of a store with quick customer turnover.

* avoid beaters (sorry, but if they don't care about their own car, they don't care about yours)

* park in the middle of the space, unless you can park at the end of a row, which is always preferable

* avoid cars that look like kidmobiles. Kids lack the motor control of adults, and will frequently push doors open hard. Minivans can be an exception because of their sliding doors.

* never double park. Door dings are better than getting keyed because you parked like an asshole.

* avoid valet at all costs. If unavoidable, cross fingers and pray.

You'd be surprised how effective these strategies can be when used religiously. No system is perfect, but you can cut down on a lot of damage this way.

Damaging other people's cars with your car makes you liable for the property damage inflicted. It's not "OK". It's not "one of those things". It's not a crime (unless it is intentional), but you are liable for the damage under the law. It eludes me why some people think this isn't the case.
Good post. One of my pet peeves, let me tell ya.

I will repeat this tactic, which you've already posted:
* Always park in a wide spot that has one side protected, like the end spot, or against the cart corral in the grocery store parking lot. This leaves only one side vulnerable, and I can park a little closer to leave more room for Joe & Jane Jackass.

Bastard got my 3 week old Acura with 2 dents: one above the other. The low dent from when he was in the car and opened his door into mine (heavier, hence door is slightly lower). The upper dent was created when he walked up and stopped his door motion with my car. Prick. He parked next to me when I was walking into a building, and when I left 10 minutes later, he was gone. I still remember his face and his car. One of these days....:mad:

-AJ
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2007, 01:10 AM   #6
Wolfpack
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Everything in my garage

Garage List
I have been following those tips for almost 30 years of driving and have never had a door ding on any car I have owned. It only takes a little forethought to make a big difference. In fact, with as many trucks as are on the road today, they sit high enough that rub strips will never help a door ding anyway. And if you lower your car at all, it will not line up with other cars anyway.

You could always cover the car in bubble wrap
      12-01-2007, 10:55 AM   #7
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

I think someone would make a killing selling a magnetic vinyl side strip that could be quickly attached when parking, and removed and stowed in the trunk in a roll up storage bag. Still, you always have to be careful. I prefer street parking to stall parking. How many times have I parked in a far corner, only to come back and some rust bucket pickup truck is right beside me.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2007, 12:40 PM   #8
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post
I think someone would make a killing selling a magnetic vinyl side strip that could be quickly attached when parking, and removed and stowed in the trunk in a roll up storage bag. Still, you always have to be careful. I prefer street parking to stall parking. How many times have I parked in a far corner, only to come back and some rust bucket pickup truck is right beside me.
I see these in Boston fairly infrequently, so I know somebody already makes them. Even the cars that I've seen with them, don't have them on most of the other times i see those cars.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2007, 01:44 PM   #9
krassanova
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

My BMW dealership offers paintless dent repair when you bring your car in fir service. It's $125 per panel (unlimited dents fixed in the panel). I'd rather be careful on where and how I park, and pay to fix the occasional dent rather than have those hideous moldings on my car.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2007, 02:46 PM   #10
Oregon
NRA Life Member, BMW CCA 30 year member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04' M3

Garage List
1971 2002  [0.00]
2004 M3  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post
Voila - http://www.doordefender.com/home.html

“To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them.” – George Mason
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2007, 04:37 PM   #11
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Ha, there goes another one of my million dollar ideas.....
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 08:51 PM   #12
rosky1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

There are some custom moldings available on the web which are painted factory colors & can be attractive and permanent. One supplier is sportwing.com . They have a section of painted side moldings for a variety of cars.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 11:30 PM   #13
d3syd
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i MT, LMB, ProNav

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
That door defender thing looks like it'll work well. Unfortunately I think you will look like a nerd putting them on your car everytime you park. Kind of like something Mr Bean would think up....

Definitely won't go with cool 1er drivers.

Fun Car: 135i Manual LeMans Blue / Beige Leather / Grey Poplar / pro nav / euro plates. Delivered 24 June 08
Family Car: Land Rover Discovery 4 SDV6
Spare Car:
Volvo V70 Sydney Car: MB 420SEL
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2008, 01:13 PM   #14
roadburn
rrroadburn
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i

One other problem with the Dork Defender: It calls attention to your obsessive desire never to have a stray fingerprint or ding on your car.

This can incite the wrong sort of people to action.

As a guy who had his convertible roof slashed (just for funsies, nothing stolen), I would think twice about using a high-visibility, this-car-shall-not-be-violated product in an unsupervised parking lot. Ever been keyed?

It's sort of like those proximity-detector car alarms ("PLEASE STEP AWAY FROM THE CAR"). Those things actually draw crowds....

CXXXVi
Appreciate 0