BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW XM (G09) Forums General BMW XM Forum Always 644HP?

11-06-2023, 01:13 AM   #1
aflatau
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: XM

Always 644HP?

Hey All,

I just purchased a 2024 XM, and I like the car a lot... but I have something that is really bothering me.. and I am not sure if this is the case or not.. I got the car a couple weeks ago, I didn't do too much research on the thing before I bought it. I traded in my F90 M5 Comp, and my X5 for it.. I figured it's the XM - I except M performance always.

Does the car always have the rated 644 HP - or is that only when the battery has a charge in it? If the battery has no charge, are you now limited to the 480 or so HP? I really hope this is not the case, considering the charge only lasts 30 or so miles.
07 Single Turbo 335i(one of the first, sold)
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2023, 04:33 AM   #2
larryc
Rep
Drives: BMW M850

Yes, full power only with battery.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2023, 04:40 AM   #3
padrino
Alpina!
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Quote:
Originally Posted by aflatau View Post
Hey All,

I just purchased a 2024 XM, and I like the car a lot... but I have something that is really bothering me.. and I am not sure if this is the case or not.. I got the car a couple weeks ago, I didn't do too much research on the thing before I bought it. I traded in my F90 M5 Comp, and my X5 for it.. I figured it's the XM - I except M performance always.

Does the car always have the rated 644 HP - or is that only when the battery has a charge in it? If the battery has no charge, are you now limited to the 480 or so HP? I really hope this is not the case, considering the charge only lasts 30 or so miles.
As the other poster said. Yes that’s the case, however a couple of things I have learned.. So in short not M performance always, unless you drop a tune in, they seriously hamstring the engine in the XM….

- There is charge left even when the batter is depleted so under hard acceleration it will still kick in for a time.

- Of you want to make sure the battery keeps a charge but you don’t want the car too aggressive use the e-control driving mode, it’s for that purpose. Or use an M mode and the engine will always stay on.

- I just got in the habit of plugging my car in every night, just a 120V outlet has been enough even though I have a proper EV setup in my garage, have not bothered using it.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2023, 07:20 AM   #4
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
FYI, this is the same exact hybrid powerplant that will be in next year’s M5 that starts production next July. Technically speaking it’s rumored to have the same power plant as the XM Label (738 hp combined) which is just a factory tuned version of the same motor, but it’s still the same engine and the hybrid electric motor. So for people to call it not a true M car is false.

I never have understood why people are so bothered by the hybrid component. It’s instant torque and is there for a performance, not range.

So your car is still 644 hp combined. Nothing wrong with that!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2023, 08:20 AM   #5
PNWM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW XM

Instant torque when you need it and if you’re just puttering around town or stuck in traffic, helps with gas mileage. I’m at 19.1 MPG over about 2,500 miles since getting it. I drive it pretty hard except around our neighborhood and of course there’s stop and go traffic at times on the highway. I averaged half that with my XB7. I didn’t get the XM to save on gas but I’m pretty surprised at how often I’m now filling up and the savings.
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2023, 08:54 AM   #6
aflatau
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
FYI, this is the same exact hybrid powerplant that will be in next year’s M5 that starts production next July. Technically speaking it’s rumored to have the same power plant as the XM Label (738 hp combined) which is just a factory tuned version of the same motor, but it’s still the same engine and the hybrid electric motor. So for people to call it not a true M car is false.

I never have understood why people are so bothered by the hybrid component. It’s instant torque and is there for a performance, not range.

So your car is still 644 hp combined. Nothing wrong with that!
I think the biggest problem is, it is advertised as the highest horse power M car every produced.. but its only for 30 miles!!!

Thank you all for answering the question, I might contact my dealer and see if I can return the car tbh.. To pay this much for a vehicle when I only have access to that power range for 30 miles.. is insane.

I should have done more research on this car before buying it.

Kind of regret trading in my M5 for this, the M5 ALWAYS had the 600+ HP.
Appreciate 1
MissVito216.50
      11-06-2023, 08:55 AM   #7
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

The battery is never fully empty.
The re-gen setting options are minimum or max. I have mine at max and it doesn’t drag as much as EV at max re-gen.

Even when you drive at full EV, by the time indicator read 0%, your engine will turn on and starting to re-gen. Doesn’t take long to gain 1% charge.

Besides, 0% battery doesn’t mean that you are fully depleted. BMW programmed the indicator to read 0% while in actuality, it still have some charge.
It is very common for BMW to do that.
Even your gas tank capacity, Empty indicator is not fully empty. You still have about 1-2 gallon usually.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2023, 08:59 AM   #8
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I think the biggest problem is, it is advertised as the highest horse power M car every produced.. but its only for 30 miles!!!

Thank you all for answering the question, I might contact my dealer and see if I can return the car tbh.. To pay this much for a vehicle when I only have access to that power range for 30 miles.. is insane.

If you’re looking for an EV, I would consider the BMW iX M60 (600+ hp) which is what I just came from. It was a fantastic vehicle, I only got rid of it because the EV prices have absolutely tanked and the current lease incentives have killed the price for those of us that purchased and paid full MSRP. They have a very similar look and are about the same size, but is a tad smaller.

BMW always underestimates their numbers and stats. I have been getting 40 miles of range on the XM in electric-only mode which I did for the first few days. I think you’re going to find that all future M performance vehicles will all be hybrids. By default, your vehicle will start up in hybrid mode, so it will use both the engine and the EV motor. It will last a lot longer than 30 or 40 miles in hybrid mode and will regenerate power back into the batteries every time you use the brakes. I think you’ll find that a lot of forum members on here rarely charge their batteries because it’s pretty self-managed.

In summary, you will have 644 hp almost all the time unless you have depleted your entire battery which is extremely rare. The 30 or 40 miles of range that you’re referencing Is when you’re in electric-only mode (no engine) which is not the default behavior of the vehicle. After owning both vehicles, I would buy another XM Label in a heartbeat. It truly handles like an M performance car which you’re not going to find on any EV because of the weight distribution. I hope you decide to keep your XM. It’s a fantastic vehicle.

Last edited by VirtualGuitars; 11-06-2023 at 09:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2023, 09:08 AM   #9
XM Label
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: XM/XB7

Garage List
2024 XM Label  [0.00]
Quote:

I am pretty sure like RGsport said, you will always have all the horses as long as you have gas. Just like any other car, no gas, no go!
Appreciate 2
      11-06-2023, 09:14 AM   #10
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWXMBlack View Post
I am pretty sure like RGsport said, you will always have all the horses as long as you have gas. Just like any other car, no gas, no go!
I think he’s under the assumption that after driving 30 or 40 miles there will be no electric motor left. The 30-40 miles of range is when you’re in electric-only mode which most of us will never do because we didn’t buy an XM for its EV capabilities. I hope he reads the post right above yours where I explain this in a little more detail. as long as you’re driving, power will be regenerated back into the batteries.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2023, 09:26 AM   #11
aflatau
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
If you’re looking for an EV, I would consider the BMW iX M60 (600+ hp) which is what I just came from. It was a fantastic vehicle, I only got rid of it because the EV prices have absolutely tanked and the current lease incentives have killed the price for those of us that purchased and paid full MSRP. They have a very similar look and are about the same size, but is a tad smaller.

BMW always underestimates their numbers and stats. I have been getting 40 miles of range on the XM in electric-only mode which I did for the first few days. I think you’re going to find that all future M performance vehicles will all be hybrids. By default, your vehicle will start up in hybrid mode, so it will use both the engine and the EV motor. It will last a lot longer than 30 or 40 miles in hybrid mode and will regenerate power back into the batteries every time you use the brakes. I think you’ll find that a lot of forum members on here rarely charge their batteries because it’s pretty self-managed.

In summary, you will have 644 hp almost all the time unless you have depleted your entire battery which is extremely rare. The 30 or 40 miles of range that you’re referencing Is when you’re in electric-only mode (no engine) which is not the default behavior of the vehicle. After owning both vehicles, I would buy another XM Label in a heartbeat. It truly handles like an M performance car which you’re not going to find on any EV because of the weight distribution. I hope you decide to keep your XM. It’s a fantastic vehicle.
Thank you for your response.

I wonder if I have some sort of setting off or something, the car only has like 350 miles on it right now, and I only have driven it a few times.. but the few times I have driven it(default settings, whatever it comes with from factory) The battery gets depleted down to zero, that's what the gauge is telling me at least.

For you to say that other people barely charge the battery? To me that is very surprising. Are they not driving far? Or? I don't know, I think I might be missing something here.
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2023, 09:56 AM   #12
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I wonder if I have some sort of setting off or something, the car only has like 350 miles on it right now, and I only have driven it a few times.. but the few times I have driven it(default settings, whatever it comes with from factory) The battery gets depleted down to zero, that's what the gauge is telling me at least.

For you to say that other people barely charge the battery? To me that is very surprising. Are they not driving far? Or? I don't know, I think I might be missing something here.
If you press the M Hybrid mode button, you can control whether it uses hybrid mode, engine, or electric-only. By default, it will always start up in hybrid mode and use the electric motor first whenever possible. As you drive, power will regenerate itself back into the batteries every time you use the brakes, so it will never be completely empty. In order to get through the initial break-in periods quicker, I setup my M1 button to start in econtrol mode which is engine only. If you drive in hybrid mode or electric only mode, It will take you a lot longer to get through the initial 300 mile and 1,200 mile engine break-in periods.

I already have a level two charger in my garage for my iX M60, so I do plug it in on occasion. In econtrol mode, the battery is completely preserved. I’ve only had my XM Label for two weeks, so I’m still driving in engine-only mode (econtrol) until I get passed 1,200 miles on the engine. The best part about the hybrid is you can control what mode do you want to drive it in. Personally, I think it’s a lot more fun to run on engine-only. There is PLENTY of juice without using the electric motor. No matter what mode you choose, as long as there’s fuel in the vehicle you’ll always be able to drive it whether the battery is depleted or not.

I hope you keep your XM. It’s a beast!
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12972.00
      11-06-2023, 10:26 AM   #13
XM Label
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 XM Label  [0.00]
Quote:

You are driving more in EV than gas in your hybrid mode…I don’t have that problem as I drive in sportiest settings and have a heavy right foot. even in hybrid mode, I do not plan on charging my battery ever again as my regen is charging/maintaining battery charge. I don’t use econtrol at all as my battery is charging and maintaining in hybrid mode already.
Appreciate 2
      11-06-2023, 10:36 AM   #14
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You are driving more in EV than gas in your hybrid mode…I don’t have that problem as I drive in sportiest settings and have a heavy right foot. even in hybrid mode, I do not plan on charging my battery ever again as my regen is charging/maintaining battery charge. I don’t use econtrol at all as my battery is charging and maintaining in hybrid mode already.
Amen! Looks like I need to start effing around more with my M1 and M2 buttons. I’m trying my best to get to 1,200 miles on the engine!
Appreciate 2
XM Label904.50
r33_RGSport12972.00
      11-06-2023, 11:32 AM   #15
XM Label
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 XM Label  [0.00]
Quote:
Amen! Looks like I need to start effing around more with my M1 and M2 buttons. I’m trying my best to get to 1,200 miles on the engine!
Not sure how one can drive leisurely in this SUV….it’s intoxicating..
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2023, 11:37 AM   #16
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Not sure how one can drive leisurely in this SUV….it’s intoxicating..
The exhaust is so loud in sport mode that people in my neighborhood throw up their hands when I drive by even at very low speeds. I’m sure my super blacked out windows tint doesn’t help. LOL
Appreciate 2
r33_RGSport12972.00
MissVito216.50
      11-06-2023, 12:07 PM   #17
aflatau
First Lieutenant
Rep

Ok so I just did a test drive, and set up my M1 button to use eControl and comfort everything else, and it didn't drain the battery - left with 75% charge came back with 74% charge.

So I am guessing I will set up the M1 button for just normal driving, and then the M2 button for when I want to dick around.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2023, 12:47 PM   #18
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ok so I just did a test drive, and set up my M1 button to use eControl and comfort everything else, and it didn't drain the battery - left with 75% charge came back with 74% charge.

So I am guessing I will set up the M1 button for just normal driving, and then the M2 button for when I want to dick around.
It’s a lot more fun to drive around with the engine by default, isn’t it? None of us bought these for the gas mileage!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2023, 01:44 PM   #19
larryc
Rep
Drives: BMW M850

Uhm, I like driving in electric mode, it's more comfy
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2023, 01:45 PM   #20
XM Label
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 XM Label  [0.00]
Quote:

My M1 is pure electric. My M2 is sportiest settings and S3 transmission. When I get in it’s either M1 or M2. It’s like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. I never have it in hybrid with comfortable settings, D1, comfort everything, etc.
Appreciate 2
      11-06-2023, 01:51 PM   #21
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
My M1 is pure electric. My M2 is sportiest settings and S3 transmission. When I get in it’s either M1 or M2. It’s like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. I never have it in hybrid with comfortable settings, D1, confort everything, etc.
There doesn’t appear to be that much of a ride/suspension difference between comfort and sport modes. Sport mode it is - ALL THE TIME!
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12972.00
      11-07-2023, 09:27 AM   #22
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

I own an I8 since it came out and am still very much enjoy the hybrid tech. It works as intended, it takes a bit getting used to it and figuring out driving modes.

I also suggest charging the car every time you can at home - the 110V charger will replenish the entire battery overnight. It will increase the battery longevity and you will also have max power when you leave the following day.
Appreciate 1