BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW XM (G09) Forums General BMW XM Forum Simple questions regarding red ambient lighting and HUD

11-07-2023, 11:13 PM   #1
nicosusername
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: various

Simple questions regarding red ambient lighting and HUD

I noticed when selecting the “Sport” display through the M Mode button, the ambient lighting - as well as the B&W speakers - turn red. I want to make sure I’m somehow not missing this option through the color selection menu, but I assume the red lighting is only available in said mode, correct? I feel like the answer is yes, but just would like confirmation.

While we are at it, is there any way to assign setting the HUD to the “Sport” display to one of the configuration buttons? I prefer the older style M cars where you had the option to change the HUD setting under the configuration settings as well. Again, I feel like the answer is no but just want confirmation.

And can we please try to keep this thread on topic? Not making an attempt to discuss lease numbers, insurance quotes, or break-in miles. Just two simple questions that I’d like answered. Thanks all.
Appreciate 2
      11-07-2023, 11:20 PM   #2
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicosusername View Post
I noticed when selecting the “Sport” display through the M Mode button, the ambient lighting - as well as the B&W speakers - turn red. I want to make sure I’m somehow not missing this option through the color selection menu, but I assume the red lighting is only available in said mode, correct? I feel like the answer is yes, but just would like confirmation.

While we are at it, is there any way to assign setting the HUD to the “Sport” display to one of the configuration buttons? I prefer the older style M cars where you had the option to change the HUD setting under the configuration settings as well. Again, I feel like the answer is no but just want confirmation.

And can we please try to keep this thread on topic? Not making an attempt to discuss lease numbers, insurance quotes, or break-in miles. Just two simple questions that I’d like answered. Thanks all.
Well, considering I’m guilty of everything that you just said in the last paragraph, I’m almost afraid to even answer. But you can change the ambient lighting colors to whatever you want (including red), but sport model will always default to red. This is pretty consistent with the entire BMW lineup.

You can change the color in the interior lighting section within iDrive. Red is there, but I don’t think they actually call it that. They seem to have weird color names for every major color,
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12971.00
      11-07-2023, 11:28 PM   #3
nicosusername
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
Well, considering I’m guilty of everything that you just said in the last paragraph, I’m almost afraid to even answer. But you can change the ambient lighting colors to whatever you want (including red), but sport model will always default to red. This is pretty consistent with the entire BMW lineup.
Which color is it on the menu? Is it Papaya? I feel like my mind is playing tricks on me and that it doesn’t appear as red as the lighting when set to Sport. If I’m going color blind, lord help me.

I feel like coding may be the only solution; or at least for the B&W speakers to be red…
Appreciate 2
      11-07-2023, 11:29 PM   #4
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Which color is it on the menu? Is it Papaya? I feel like my mind is playing tricks on me and that it doesn’t appear as red as the lighting when set to Sport. If I’m going color blind, lord help me.
I just edited my post explaining that as I realized I didn’t explain it very well. Yeah, BMW gives out weird color names for the major colors. I think you’re right with it being papaya for red. It was exactly the same way on the iX.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12971.00
      11-07-2023, 11:31 PM   #5
nicosusername
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
I just edited my post explaining that as I realized I didn’t explain it very well. Yeah, BMW gives out weird color names for the major colors. I think you’re right with it being papaya for red. It was exactly the same way on the iX.
No worries. You look at these colors for so long and keep going back and fourth, that it starts getting confusing — at least for me.

I know for sure it’s not Coral or Rose…
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12971.00
      11-07-2023, 11:32 PM   #6
PNWM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW XM

Quote:

Unfortunately they blinded the HUD to actually selecting Sport mode. I had a call with BMW NA to share feedback (they called me) and it was one of my gripes. I like the Sport HUD over all the others.

You can also turn off the red ambient lighting with Sport mode and just have it keep whatever color you choose. It’s in the events lighting section or whatever they call it.
Appreciate 2
      11-07-2023, 11:32 PM   #7
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
No worries. You look at these colors for so long and keep going back and fourth, that it starts getting confusing — at least for me.

I know for sure it’s not Coral or Rose…
I do change mine from time to time just to keep it interesting. I only wish we could keep the M colors up there all the time.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12971.00
      11-07-2023, 11:50 PM   #8
nicosusername
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWM3 View Post
Unfortunately they blinded the HUD to actually selecting Sport mode. I had a call with BMW NA to share feedback (they called me) and it was one of my gripes. I like the Sport HUD over all the others.

You can also turn off the red ambient lighting with Sport mode and just have it keep whatever color you choose. It’s in the events lighting section or whatever they call it.
That’s stupid IMO. I prefer the Sport HUD as well, and being able to associate it with one of the configuration buttons. An extra button just to change the HUD is silly if you ask me.

I was trying to see what color was selected in the ambient light settings when I had the M Mode to Sport but it wouldn’t let me access the menu and only showed what color I have the car set on before selecting Sport. I actually prefer the red and hoped I can have it set to that normally instead of only being able to have it through Sport. Again, silly. The red lighting through the B&W speakers is pretty neat too.
Appreciate 2
      11-08-2023, 07:13 AM   #9
XM Label
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: XM/XB7

Garage List
2024 XM Label  [0.00]
Papaya is what matches closest to red IMO. I was able to change the speaker to many different colors separately from the modes in my previous X5’s and I feel that this is a step back. Hopefully a software upgrade in the future will allow for this again.
Appreciate 2
      11-08-2023, 10:46 PM   #10
PNWM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW XM

Quote:
That’s stupid IMO. I prefer the Sport HUD as well, and being able to associate it with one of the configuration buttons. An extra button just to change the HUD is silly if you ask me.

I was trying to see what color was selected in the ambient light settings when I had the M Mode to Sport but it wouldn’t let me access the menu and only showed what color I have the car set on before selecting Sport. I actually prefer the red and hoped I can have it set to that normally instead of only being able to have it through Sport. Again, silly. The red lighting through the B&W speakers is pretty neat too.
It's odd the red is only available when in Sport mode if you have that turned on. They could literally enable any color you want but limit it for some strange reason.
Appreciate 0