BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW XM (G09) Forums General BMW XM Forum Current discounts on XM Base

11-11-2023, 11:31 AM   #1
patrikr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 760i, 2020 Model X LR

Current discounts on XM Base

Considering switching my 2023 760 for a 2024 XM Base as I would prefer a plugin hybrid and I’m partial to SUVs. Have a few questions for this great community:

1. I was given a $22.5k discount including incentives/rebates on a $166k car. How does that rank with what everyone else have been getting?

2. The 760 is obviously very plush and smooth and I’ve read/seen reviews about how the XM suspension is stiff. One reviewer even said it sounded like there was a subwoofer slamming your head everyone you hit a bump. How bad is it really? I know this is subjective...

3. Does the HVAC system run on the high voltage battery to how it works in the X50e? Will it allow me to heat/cool the car while it’s in a closed garage?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2023, 12:46 PM   #2
padrino
Alpina!
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

1. In line with what some are getting but you should be able to get the dealer to to 15, perhaps more… BMW kicks in 9900 right now and loyalty comes as well since you have a 7 series..

2. I have driven both and while it’s more stiff I would not characterize it as that rough… Without air suspension there is no comfort setting per se, just remember that..

3. Yes it does
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2023, 10:42 PM   #3
bayarea328xit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 i3s; 07 328xit (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by padrino View Post
1. ... you should be able to get the dealer to to 15, perhaps more ...
I don't understand this comment; can you please provide a bit more detail? Do you mean 15% discount off of MSRP from dealer before factoring in credits from BMWFS?

Thanks in advance...
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2023, 06:19 AM   #4
padrino
Alpina!
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea328xit View Post
I don't understand this comment; can you please provide a bit more detail? Do you mean 15% discount off of MSRP from dealer before factoring in credits from BMWFS?

Thanks in advance...
I wrote that quick, my apologies…

Seeing about $15K, maybe more for base discounts not including BMW contribution, so 10% or so… With that said I know a couple of dealers in the past few weeks that were doing $20K off plus BMW incentive, landing you at $30K off…

There is a lot of inventory out there right now for what the car is so definitely a buyers market…
Appreciate 1
      11-12-2023, 06:36 AM   #5
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
For anyone considering purchasing an XM, I would highly encourage you to consider a 2024 which will come with highway assistant that allows hands-free driving up to 85 mph on supported highways. 2023 models have the older head unit which is also not upgradable to iDrive 8.5 M. You also can’t do augmented reality in the instrument cluster with the older head unit.

The newer head unit was changed on the XM line starting in August, so it is possible there might be a few late 2023 vehicles that have it. Check the production date before your purchase.
Appreciate 1
      11-13-2023, 05:17 AM   #6
gotzillar
Private
Rep
Drives: 992S,X7M50i,EV6,TaycanGTS ST

We are looking to replace my wife's x7 m50i with either am dbx or xm base. Any thoughts on that? One info I couldn't find about xm is its wading depth. Has that ever published?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2023, 05:48 AM   #7
XM Label
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: XM/XB7

Garage List
2024 XM Label  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotzillar View Post
We are looking to replace my wife's x7 m50i with either am dbx or xm base. Any thoughts on that? One info I couldn't find about xm is its wading depth. Has that ever published?
If you don’t need the extra seat or two then the XM is great. There is more legroom in the front and the rear for the XM than the X7. Wading depth is 17.7 inches. DBX is a great looking SUV with similar legroom in from and rear as the XM, 2 inches more wading depth…
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2023, 08:14 AM   #8
gotzillar
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWXMBlack View Post
If you don’t need the extra seat or two then the XM is great. There is more legroom in the front and the rear for the XM than the X7. Wading depth is 17.7 inches. DBX is a great looking SUV with similar legroom in from and rear as the XM, 2 inches more wading depth…
Thanks. Where did you find the wading depth for XM?

We love DBX. Its tech is lackluster but the driving characteristic is better than Cayenne GTS/Turbo and XM which is not far behind though.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2023, 08:23 AM   #9
XM Label
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 XM Label  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks. Where did you find the wading depth for XM?

We love DBX. Its tech is lackluster but the driving characteristic is better than Cayenne GTS/Turbo and XM which is not far behind though.
My owners manual. Are you taking this thing off-road LOL?
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      11-13-2023, 08:48 AM   #10
gotzillar
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWXMBlack View Post
My owners manual. Are you taking this thing off-road LOL?
Not planning to drive off-road, but also dont want to get stranded when streets are "lightly" flooded
Appreciate 1
      11-13-2023, 08:51 AM   #11
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Not planning to drive off-road, but also dont want to get stranded when streets are "lightly" flooded
I was just about to say you must also live in Houston, and then I looked at your profile.
Appreciate 1
      11-13-2023, 09:41 AM   #12
gotzillar
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
I was just about to say you must also live in Houston, and then I looked at your profile.
No kidding. Especially it'll be for my wife, I'll do all I can to not jeopardize my own life.
Appreciate 1
      11-13-2023, 09:42 AM   #13
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
No kidding. Especially it'll be for my wife, I'll do all I can to not jeopardize my own life.
Let me know when you get your XM. We can try to find a few others and get a photo shoot!
Appreciate 1
      11-13-2023, 06:47 PM   #14
stavstavcc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
For anyone considering purchasing an XM, I would highly encourage you to consider a 2024 which will come with highway assistant that allows hands-free driving up to 85 mph on supported highways. 2023 models have the older head unit which is also not upgradable to iDrive 8.5 M. You also can’t do augmented reality in the instrument cluster with the older head unit.

The newer head unit was changed on the XM line starting in August, so it is possible there might be a few late 2023 vehicles that have it. Check the production date before your purchase.
2023 XM not upgradable to iDrive 8.5. Is that true?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2023, 06:50 PM   #15
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stavstavcc View Post
2023 XM not upgradable to iDrive 8.5. Is that true?
Yes, that is correct. It is 100% NOT upgradable because the MGU 21 head unit is not capable. All XMs is built after August, so basically all 2024s, have the newer MGU 22 head unit which will come preinstalled with iDrive 8.5 M. It is possible there’s a few late 2023s that were built after August that would have it, but there would be very few of those (if any).

Unfortunately, there is no upgrade path for any 2023 XM that was built before August. This was the same exact issue on all iX/i4 vehicles built before March. That’s when those had their head unit swapped.
Appreciate 1
      11-13-2023, 07:11 PM   #16
stavstavcc
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Yes, that is correct. It is 100% NOT upgradable because the MGU 21 head unit is not capable. All XMs is built after August, so basically all 2024s, have the newer MGU 22 head unit which will come preinstalled with iDrive 8.5 M. It is possible there’s a few late 2023s that were built after August that would have it, but there would be very few of those (if any).

Unfortunately, there is no upgrade path for any 2023 XM that was built before August. This was the same exact issue on all iX/i4 vehicles built before March. That’s when those had their head unit swapped.
Oh, wow. Sucks
Appreciate 1
      11-13-2023, 07:19 PM   #17
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Oh, wow. Sucks
Sorry dude. If it makes you feel any better, I was in the same boat on my 2023 iX M60. My vehicle only missed the cutoff by a couple of months. It’s not just iDrive 8.5 that you’re missing out on - it’s also highway assistant and augmented reality in the instrument cluster - both of which require the newer head unit.

To make things even more confusing, the i7 has always had the MGU 22 head unit which came out well before the XM. It appears they have finally selected the MGU 22 for the entire lineup from this point forward. I can tell you from personal experience, the original head unit was not near powerful enough. I had all sorts of issues on my iX.
Appreciate 1
      11-16-2023, 11:36 AM   #18
stavstavcc
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Sorry dude. If it makes you feel any better, I was in the same boat on my 2023 iX M60. My vehicle only missed the cutoff by a couple of months. It’s not just iDrive 8.5 that you’re missing out on - it’s also highway assistant and augmented reality in the instrument cluster - both of which require the newer head unit.

To make things even more confusing, the i7 has always had the MGU 22 head unit which came out well before the XM. It appears they have finally selected the MGU 22 for the entire lineup from this point forward. I can tell you from personal experience, the original head unit was not near powerful enough. I had all sorts of issues on my iX.
Is there a way to tell from the serial number in the VIN if the car was built before or after August?
Appreciate 1
      11-16-2023, 11:38 AM   #19
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Is there a way to tell from the serial number in the VIN if the car was built before or after August?
Yes, you can go to any of the decoder sites like the one below which will tell you the production date. You can also look at the sticker on the side of the driver side door which will have the production month and year date on it. If it’s a 2023, it’s highly doubtful it was built after August 1 although there still may be some that slipped through. If you haven’t purchased one yet, I would highly consider a 2024. It’s not just the iDrive software, but highway assistant and augmented reality in the instrument cluster.

https://www.mdecoder.com
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2023, 11:52 AM   #20
stavstavcc
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Yes, you can go to any of the decoder sites like the one below which will tell you the production date. You can also look at the sticker on the side of the driver side door which will have the production month and year date on it. If it’s a 2023, it’s highly doubtful it was built after August 1 although there still may be some that slipped through. If you haven’t purchased one yet, I would highly consider a 2024. It’s not just the iDrive software, but highway assistant and augmented reality in the instrument cluster.

https://www.mdecoder.com
Thanks a lot!

I can get the 2023 $25k off, so trying to decide if I can live without the extra goodies..
Appreciate 1
      11-16-2023, 11:56 AM   #21
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks a lot!

I can get the 2023 $25k off, so trying to decide if I can live without the extra goodies..
FYI, I just got $13K off MSRP plus the $7500 lease credit (which is $9900 now) on my 2024 XM Label. So you’re looking at about a 10K to 15K delta. After having the previous head unit on my 2023 iX M60, it’s severely underpowered by comparison. Of course a full EV has a lot more reliance on the electronics and battery/charging management system than the XM does. Rebooting iDrive was almost a daily occurrence.

If you ever drive out of town, you will absolutely love the hands-free driving up to 85 mph feature which is called highway assistant. On a 2023 XM, you will be limited to hands-free driving up to 40 mph which is called traffic jam assistant. The difference between these two features is a dependency on the mapping system on the backend. While the maps might look exactly the same on the main screen, it’s a different mapping system altogether. Both of these features will only work on major freeways, highways, interstates, etc.
Appreciate 2
      11-16-2023, 04:36 PM   #22
XM Label
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 XM Label  [0.00]
Quote:
FYI, I just got $13K off MSRP plus the $7500 lease credit (which is $9900 now) on my 2024 XM Label. So you’re looking at about a 10K to 15K delta. After having the previous head unit on my 2023 iX M60, it’s severely underpowered by comparison. Of course a full EV has a lot more reliance on the electronics and battery/charging management system than the XM does. Rebooting iDrive was almost a daily occurrence.

If you ever drive out of town, you will absolutely love the hands-free driving up to 85 mph feature which is called highway assistant. On a 2023 XM, you will be limited to hands-free driving up to 40 mph which is called traffic jam assistant. The difference between these two features is a dependency on the mapping system on the backend. While the maps might look exactly the same on the main screen, it’s a different mapping system altogether. Both of these features will only work on major freeways, highways, interstates, etc.
In my opinion, totally worth spending a little more for newer features. I am past 1400 miles and this thing is a beast. I can honestly say I like driving it way more than my X5M comp. I will be getting another one once this lease runs out…..
Appreciate 3