11-17-2023, 11:54 AM   #1
XM Label
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: XM/XB7

Garage List
2024 XM Label  [0.00]
For the ones in doubt about XM sales, I have been following inventory closely for XM models. I will get right to the point. They are selling…with or without discounts….period. Some of it is location dependent as some dealerships have trouble selling one and other dealerships are selling their inventory as soon as they are available with waiting lists for more but if you look at overall numbers they are moving units.

At one point here in the US, there were well over 600 2023 XMs on lots, now with incentives etc they are down to a little over 200 2023s.

Also globally, they have sold more XM’s in the first half of the year than Lamborghini did in its launch year of the urus for the entire year.

Personally, everyone that has seen my XM all love it in person so I am thinking BMW design has done it again, hate it at first but then love it later. I hated this thing when it first came out but now I don’t know why I hated it so much but I may be a little biased!
Appreciate 3
      11-17-2023, 12:14 PM   #2
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWXMBlack View Post
For the ones in doubt about XM sales, I have been following inventory closely for XM models. I will get right to the point. They are selling…with or without discounts….period. Some of it is location dependent as some dealerships have trouble selling one and other dealerships are selling their inventory as soon as they are available with waiting lists for more but if you look at overall numbers they are moving units.

At one point here in the US, there were well over 600 2023 XMs on lots, now with incentives etc they are down to a little over 200 2023s.

Also globally, they have sold more XM’s in the first half of the year than Lamborghini did in its launch year of the urus for the entire year.

Personally, everyone that has seen my XM all love it in person so I am thinking BMW design has done it again, hate it at first but then love it later. I hated this thing when it first came out but now I don’t know why I hated it so much but I may be a little biased!
100% accurate. Every single XM in the entire Houston market has sold in a matter of weeks. I’ve been watching them since they came out. I was lucky to get any type of discount, but customer loyalty goes a long way at Momentum BMW.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12971.00
      11-17-2023, 06:11 PM   #3
FloridaM5
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 Comp RWD

Garage List
  [5.83]
I’d be a potential buyer if I didn’t need a 3rd row. It has some presence for sure. I dig it. Haven’t driven one, but I keep reading you guys’ posts and it makes me want one. I’d go marina bay blue!
Appreciate 2
      11-17-2023, 06:20 PM   #4
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaM5 View Post
I’d be a potential buyer if I didn’t need a 3rd row. It has some presence for sure. I dig it. Haven’t driven one, but I keep reading you guys’ posts and it makes me want one. I’d go marina bay blue!
It’s just like an SUV version of an M5. It really does handle incredibly well. So much fun to drive. It definitely gives off that “IDGAF” attitude, so it suits my personality perfectly. 😂😂😂
Appreciate 4
PNWM3535.00
FloridaM5461.00
r33_RGSport12971.00
      11-17-2023, 09:26 PM   #5
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

I don’t doubt that it sells quite easy.
I finally saw another one on my way home from work.
Can’t make up the actual color, but it is one of the dark color variant.
I slowed down a bit a look over and wave. Not sure if he saw me.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 1
      11-18-2023, 10:14 AM   #6
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3, X7, MY

Garage List
24 BMW M3  [10.00]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
It’s just like an SUV version of an M5. It really does handle incredibly well. So much fun to drive. It definitely gives off that “IDGAF” attitude, so it suits my personality perfectly. 😂😂😂
Do you mind sharing how your MPG has fared since you’ve had yours for a few weeks now? And how effective is the battery regen - does the battery last for a few hundred miles or is it out of charge more quickly? I understand there are different drive modes, but if you use hybrid how effective is it? Just curious. Thanks!
Appreciate 1
      11-18-2023, 10:54 AM   #7
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerfun82 View Post
Do you mind sharing how your MPG has fared since you’ve had yours for a few weeks now? And how effective is the battery regen - does the battery last for a few hundred miles or is it out of charge more quickly? I understand there are different drive modes, but if you use hybrid how effective is it? Just curious. Thanks!
I work from home, so I barely have over 500 miles on it and didn’t buy this for it’s electric range or fuel economy. I’m trying to get through the 1,200 mile engine break-in period, so I’m not even using the electric motor right now. What I can tell you is that you can get about 40 miles on the electric motor by itself which is fine for everyday driving when you can charge at home, especially if you have a level two charger in your garage which only takes about three hours to go from 0% to 100%.

This is a performance SUV, so if you’re looking for exceptional range and/or fuel economy, this vehicle may not be the best choice, but you can get about 350 miles combined range which is probably fine for most people. The regenerative braking will always insure that there’s always a little battery left (if it’s close to being depleted) when you punch it.

Obviously your driving habits will dictate the actual results. I punch it whenever possible, so I’m probably not the best person to ask when it comes to MPG and/or range. I really enjoy driving it, so the fuel economy and electric range is not important to me.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2023, 11:53 AM   #8
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
24 BMW M3  [10.00]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
I ask not because of saving $ for efficiency’s sake but because of the whole M platform seemingly moving in this direction. I’m genuinely curious if it’s worth the added weight or if this approach is simply for performance while appeasing some of the regulations. Imagine it’s both. But it’s contradictory in a sense as some European countries tax on the basis of displacement. Anyway, if you told me that I could go 600 miles in hybrid mode on a tank of gas or get 35+ mpg equivalent combined I’d be interested in that, especially one day in an M5 or M3 instead of 17-19 mpg.
Appreciate 1
      11-18-2023, 12:06 PM   #9
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I ask not because of saving $ for efficiency’s sake but because of the whole M platform seemingly moving in this direction. I’m genuinely curious if it’s worth the added weight or if this approach is simply for performance while appeasing some of the regulations. Imagine it’s both. But it’s contradictory in a sense as some European countries tax on the basis of displacement. Anyway, if you told me that I could go 600 miles in hybrid mode on a tank of gas or get 35+ mpg equivalent combined I’d be interested in that, especially one day in an M5 or M3 instead of 17-19 mpg.
For the XM and the upcoming M5, the electric motor is strictly there for performance, not range. Not sure if you’ve ever driven an electric vehicle, but it’s instantaneous torque. Zero spin up. I do miss that about my iX M60; however the XM Label is just as fast, if not faster. Real world 0-to-60 times around 3.2 seconds for both vehicles.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12971.00
      11-18-2023, 12:17 PM   #10
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
24 BMW M3  [10.00]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Quote:
For the XM and the upcoming M5, the electric motor is strictly there for performance, not range. Not sure if you’ve ever driven an electric vehicle, but it’s instantaneous torque. Zero spin up. I do miss that about my iX M60; however the XM Label is just as fast, if not faster. Real world 0-to-60 times around 3.2 seconds for both vehicles.
Yes, I’ve owned a model 3 perf (3.1 to 60) and now a model Y dual motor. Torque is nice. But my M3 comp x drive did 3.1s to 60 and it was much more enjoyable to drive. So if the motor is just there for performance, then it’s for straight-line benefits only. Not super interested in the future if this is the approach. I just ordered an M4 manual, so I’ll enjoy that for a few years and then if AMG is making V8’s I’ll go with that or find a manual non-hybrid approach with a P car. If I’m not getting range and efficiency benefits and it’s a huge weight penalty, I’m not super interested. The X5M v XM is a really interesting debate but clear cut to me if the only benefit is some instant torque.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2023, 12:20 PM   #11
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yes, I’ve owned a model 3 perf (3.1 to 60) and now a model Y dual motor. Torque is nice. But my M3 comp x drive did 3.1s to 60 and it was much more enjoyable to drive. So if the motor is just there for performance, then it’s for straight-line benefits only. Not super interested in the future if this is the approach. I just ordered an M4 manual, so I’ll enjoy that for a few years and then if AMG is making V8’s I’ll go with that or find a manual non-hybrid approach with a P car. If I’m not getting range and efficiency benefits and it’s a huge weight penalty, I’m not super interested. The X5M v XM is a really interesting debate but clear cut to me if the only benefit is some instant torque.
You can’t really compare this vehicle with an M3. Don’t forget that this is a 6000 lb. SUV, not a coupe or sedan. I’d say it handles equally if not better than my M550 did though. It’s a beast. You should definitely go test drive one just to satisfy your curiosity. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2023, 12:24 PM   #12
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
24 BMW M3  [10.00]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Quote:
Don’t forget that this is a 6000 lb. SUV, not an M3, coupe, or sedan. I’d say it handles equally if not better than my M550 did though. It’s a beast. You should definitely go test drive one just to satisfy your curiosity. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised.
Right, but it’s 6000 lbs because of the electric motor. This is what I didn’t understand from the time they launched the vehicle. The X5M is 500 lbs lighter than the XM. That’s like taking the X5M and putting your three friends in there - huge difference. So again, it’s spending another $40k for the same efficiency unless you stroll around town in electric-only mode. I was speaking to the M3 because in the future they’ll take a similar approach with it - so they’ll take a 4000 lb M3 and add 500 lb to have a hybrid approach. With no real benefits in terms of driving enjoyment or efficiency. Maybe they’ll find a way to carve out the weight by then.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2023, 12:31 PM   #13
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Right, but it’s 6000 lbs because of the electric motor. This is what I didn’t understand from the time they launched the vehicle. The X5M is 500 lbs lighter than the XM. That’s like taking the X5M and putting your three friends in there - huge difference. So again, it’s spending another $40k for the same efficiency unless you stroll around town in electric-only mode. I was speaking to the M3 because in the future they’ll take a similar approach with it - so they’ll take a 4000 lb M3 and add 500 lb to have a hybrid approach. With no real benefits in terms of driving enjoyment or efficiency. Maybe they’ll find a way to carve out the weight by then.
The electric motor is tiny and so is the battery pack by comparison to EV‘s. Of course it’s heavier than the X5 because it’s on an X7 frame. It’s definitely one of BMW’s biggest vehicles. I suggest you go drive one. You can’t really compare it to all of the vehicles you’ve mentioned. It’s certainly not for everyone, but you if need the extra capacity and want ultimate performance, it’s the perfect combination.

I’m 6’2” and even with my front seat all the way back, I could easily sit in the back seat with 6 inches to spare. Think of it like an M version of an X7 without the third row seat.
Appreciate 1
      11-18-2023, 12:58 PM   #14
XM Label
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 XM Label  [0.00]
Quote:
I am getting 280-300 miles with full gas tank (18 gallons) and full charge (39-40 miles). I don’t have exact mpg but can tell you I am spending less on gas per fill (smaller tank) and I use electric for local driving so I only go to gas station once every week. I used to fill up twice a week in my X5comp.

With local driving I get about 7-8 miles regen. If I spend more time on highway then regen is lower that day.

If driving in hybrid and comfort settings, battery goes down quickly. If in aggressive settings for transmission in hybrid mode then utilizes ICE more than EV motor and battery can gain charge with regen.

Agree with other poster, this EV motor is to enhance ICE motor and not really there for efficiency and mpg numbers. It’s sole purpose is to eliminate turbo lag with instant torque during acceleration and it could be used in EV only for short local trips.
Appreciate 3
      11-18-2023, 01:03 PM   #15
XM Label
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 XM Label  [0.00]
Quote:
I am getting better range/efficiency than my X5M comp based on number of trips to gas station per week but depends on the amount of local vs highway driving I am doing that week. FWIW it drives better than my X5M comp 99% of the time. The hybrid drivetrain and everything else hides the weight well. Biggest other plus is interior space for front and rear passengers.
Appreciate 3
      11-18-2023, 01:30 PM   #16
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
24 BMW M3  [10.00]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Quote:
I am getting better range/efficiency than my X5M comp based on number of trips to gas station per week but depends on the amount of local vs highway driving I am doing that week. FWIW it drives better than my X5M comp 99% of the time. The hybrid drivetrain and everything else hides the weight well. Biggest other plus is interior space for front and rear passengers.
Number of trips to fuel up per week. I felt that. Haha. What does your lifetime MPG indicate?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2023, 01:36 PM   #17
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
24 BMW M3  [10.00]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Quote:
I am getting 280-300 miles with full gas tank (18 gallons) and full charge (39-40 miles). I don’t have exact mpg but can tell you I am spending less on gas per fill (smaller tank) and I use electric for local driving so I only go to gas station once every week. I used to fill up twice a week in my X5comp.

With local driving I get about 7-8 miles regen. If I spend more time on highway then regen is lower that day.

If driving in hybrid and comfort settings, battery goes down quickly. If in aggressive settings for transmission in hybrid mode then utilizes ICE more than EV motor and battery can gain charge with regen.

Agree with other poster, this EV motor is to enhance ICE motor and not really there for efficiency and mpg numbers. It’s sole purpose is to eliminate turbo lag with instant torque during acceleration ambit could be used in EV only for short local trips.
Ok, now this makes a lot of sense - I can see the M engineers quantifying gas tank size with similar range on a “tank” as an X5M or perhaps closer to an M3/5. But the fuel tank is 18 gallons, which is less than an X7 (21.9) and more than an M3 (15.6). So basically the fuel economy is abysmal at around 16mpg. Fascinating.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2023, 03:01 PM   #18
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ok, now this makes a lot of sense - I can see the M engineers quantifying gas tank size with similar range on a “tank” as an X5M or perhaps closer to an M3/5. But the fuel tank is 18 gallons, which is less than an X7 (21.9) and more than an M3 (15.6). So basically the fuel economy is abysmal at around 16mpg. Fascinating.
Man, I really want you to go drive one. Despite being 51 years old, I feel like I’m 16 again. I’m looking for any excuse to go driving. Much more fun than my M550 or iX M60 which were my most two vehicles.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12971.00
      11-18-2023, 03:12 PM   #19
TXSchnee
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM

Quote:
I can go about 580 miles and get 31mpg on my Cayenne E Hybrid, which is smaller and lighter than an XM, but 455hp and a 4.2 second 0-60, I do not drive slow. I drive it mostly in Hybrid mode, as a PHEV is most efficient and best run that way, never worry about electric only range, an EV is my daily driver. So while it isn't an XM, a PHEV can certainly give you pretty impressive MPG while still being fun to drive. I am sure the XM driven the way I drive my Cayenne would end up with MPG in the mid-20's.
2020 Porsche Cayenne E Hybrid (sold)
2018 X3 M40i (sold)
Appreciate 2
r33_RGSport12971.00
      11-18-2023, 03:39 PM   #20
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
24 BMW M3  [10.00]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSchnee View Post
I can go about 580 miles and get 31mpg on my Cayenne E Hybrid, which is smaller and lighter than an XM, but 455hp and a 4.2 second 0-60, I do not drive slow. I drive it mostly in Hybrid mode, as a PHEV is most efficient and best run that way, never worry about electric only range, an EV is my daily driver. So while it isn't an XM, a PHEV can certainly give you pretty impressive MPG while still being fun to drive. I am sure the XM driven the way I drive my Cayenne would end up with MPG in the mid-20's.
Nice. The turbo Cayenne e hybrid lines up with the XM label and gets about 50 mpge combined or 19 mpg combined (not sure what the difference is) with quicker acceleration and weighs 300 lb less. And I bet the depreciation is less.
Appreciate 1
TXSchnee1316.50
      11-18-2023, 03:42 PM   #21
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
24 BMW M3  [10.00]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Quote:
Man, I really want you to go drive one. Despite being 51 years old, I feel like I’m 16 again. I’m looking for any excuse to go driving. Much more fun than my M550 or iX M60 which were my most two vehicles.
My CA offered to do a drive soon. I would bet you $ I’d prefer my m3, z4 and soon m4. But we’ll see. I’ll get back to you. The novelty of torque I’ve already experienced, the top doesn’t go down (or even open), and it doesn’t have a manual. So not sure what would be so appealing relatively…. We’ll see
Appreciate 1
      11-18-2023, 03:45 PM   #22
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
My CA offered to do a drive soon. I would bet you $ I’d prefer my m3, z4 and soon m4. But we’ll see. I’ll get back to you. The novelty of torque I’ve already experienced, the top doesn’t go down (or even open), and it doesn’t have a manual. So not sure what would be so appealing relatively…. We’ll see
Considering none of those are SUVs, it’s not really a fair comparison, but if you need an SUV, this is the one to get - esp. the Label. I think you’ll be quite surprised how it handles. It does not feel like an SUV - at all. Since you’re already familiar with M vehicles, make sure you play around with all of M modes along with the M1 and M2 buttons during your test drive.
Appreciate 0