BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW XM (G09) Forums General BMW XM Forum Wireless CarPlay connection issues

12-11-2023, 05:57 PM   #1
Momomo1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW XM

Wireless CarPlay connection issues

Hello all, have anyone experienced intermittent airplay connection issues since the software update?

I would drive to work in the morning and everything is working. Then I go to lunch and my iPhone 14 cannot connect. The Wifi (DirecBMWXXXX) tries to connect but fails. When I click on airplay on BMW display, I get a blank screen.

Sometimes, the problem goes away on its own after the car reboots for next drive. Sometimes, it persists.

At wits end...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 06:01 PM   #2
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
This is not entirely uncommon. Generally restarting your iPhone or iDrive will solve the issue. Note that your iPhone will never appear to be connected to the Wi-Fi network because it’s a split connection. The way it works is first your phone will connect via Bluetooth and it will be passed over partially to Wi-Fi for CarPlay only. The rest of your data will go through your cellular connection.

Unless you connect your phone to the hotspot portion of the vehicle which 99% of people don’t do, your phone will never appear to be connected to your vehicle’s wireless network until you try to disconnect from it.

Occasionally mine will connect to Bluetooth instead of CarPlay. It’s a little annoying, but you can easily toggle this in the mobile device settings within iDrive.

You could also delete the connection within iDrive and set it back up again. It won’t mess with your digital keys if you use those. You can also just plug it in with a cable and do wired CarPlay.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 09:11 PM   #3
patrikr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 760i, 2020 Model X LR

Wired CarPlay is not supported in BMW AFAIK?

I’ve created a shortcut (swipe down from the top of the display) where I can enable/disable WiFi in the car. That will fix my CarPlay issues 99% of the time and is much faster than an iDrive reboot.
Appreciate 2
PNWM3535.00
      12-11-2023, 09:28 PM   #4
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrikr View Post
Wired CarPlay is not supported in BMW AFAIK?

I’ve created a shortcut (swipe down from the top of the display) where I can enable/disable WiFi in the car. That will fix my CarPlay issues 99% of the time and is much faster than an iDrive reboot.
I believe it is supported if you use the USB-C port in the center console, but I actually haven’t tried it on my XM. Great idea on the shortcut.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 11:51 PM   #5
PNWM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momomo1 View Post
Hello all, have anyone experienced intermittent airplay connection issues since the software update?

I would drive to work in the morning and everything is working. Then I go to lunch and my iPhone 14 cannot connect. The Wifi (DirecBMWXXXX) tries to connect but fails. When I click on airplay on BMW display, I get a blank screen.

Sometimes, the problem goes away on its own after the car reboots for next drive. Sometimes, it persists.

At wits end...
Happens all the time in mine. So fucking annoying. I once ditched a Range Rover for an X7 because of this. I’m on my phone for work 75% of the time I’m in the car.

Quick fix is to just press and hold the volume knob for 30+ seconds until iDrive reboots. You can even do it while driving. It fixes it 99% of the time.

Really sucks though.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2023, 12:09 AM   #6
ibimmer954
Major
Rep
Drives: '23 i4 M50, '15 M3, '18 911

Garage List
When I get a similar issue on my i4 I cycle Airplane on and off on my iPhone. I usually get functional AirPlay after that. If that doesn’t work I power cycle my phone.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2023, 12:16 AM   #7
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWM3 View Post
Happens all the time in mine. So fucking annoying. I once ditched a Range Rover for an X7 because of this. I’m on my phone for work 75% of the time I’m in the car.

Quick fix is to just press and hold the volume knob for 30+ seconds until iDrive reboots. You can even do it while driving. It fixes it 99% of the time.

Really sucks though.
Or you can just turn wireless off and back on again. Much quicker.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2023, 02:05 PM   #8
alexlucky
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW XM

Garage List
2023 BMW XM  [10.00]
I'm experiencing the same issue and agree that it got worse after the software update
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2024, 12:18 PM   #9
Momomo1
Private
Rep

Thanks for all the tips everyone. I have resorted to rebooting the system every time this happens, which is pretty much every other day now. Annoying but not the end of the world. Hope there will be a fix soon.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2024, 01:10 PM   #10
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momomo1 View Post
Thanks for all the tips everyone. I have resorted to rebooting the system every time this happens, which is pretty much every other day now. Annoying but not the end of the world. Hope there will be a fix soon.
You can also set up a shortcut to disable and reenable wireless within the vehicle without having to reboot the entire system. Another tip that works for me, is disabling Bluetooth and Wi-Fi on my iPhone and then enabling them both. Usually it comes back every time.

So there’s a few more options that are faster and aren’t so extreme.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2024, 12:06 AM   #11
Momomo1
Private
Rep

Thanks! I will try both suggestions for sure 🫡
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2024, 01:16 AM   #12
PNWM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
You can also set up a shortcut to disable and reenable wireless within the vehicle without having to reboot the entire system. Another tip that works for me, is disabling Bluetooth and Wi-Fi on my iPhone and then enabling them both. Usually it comes back every time.

So there’s a few more options that are faster and aren’t so extreme.
I find it easier to reboot iDrive rather than pulling my phone from my pocket while driving. 99% of the time it works half of the time.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2024, 01:30 AM   #13
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWM3 View Post
I find it easier to reboot iDrive rather than pulling my phone from my pocket while driving. 99% of the time it works half of the time.
Or you can set up a shortcut and push a button to disable/reenable wireless with iDrive.
Appreciate 0