BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-27-2023, 01:36 PM   #1
Holomatrix7
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: A Car

Retrofit M Sport Brakes

Apologies if someone covered this somewhere - I've gone through ten screens of search results in the G05/G06 forum to no avail

New X5 (G05 pre-LCI manuf. in March) has the basic silver brakes on the front (with 21" alloys). I have a new set of blue M Sport calipers and required discs coming, and a pair of the front semicircular dust/mud shields and the brake wear sensor cable.

I've done this before on Chryslers and Holdens and in both cases it was swap out the discs, calipers and pads, bleed brakes and away. Is there anything else needed or should this be a plug and play retrofit? I have seen mention on other websites of people using longer bolts or a bracket but it sounded like they were installing the M performance (red) calipers, not the M Sport blue calipers.

Thanks

Last edited by Holomatrix7; 12-28-2023 at 09:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2023, 03:05 PM   #2
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

I think you will be the first to attempt this that I saw. It seems others found no reason to do so once they looked at cost, effort and little gain.

As an aside, there is no difference between the M Sport Blue and Red Calipers. As you mentioned, sometimes the M Performance calipers are available and those are red.
      12-28-2023, 09:56 AM   #3
Holomatrix7
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
I think you will be the first to attempt this that I saw. It seems others found no reason to do so once they looked at cost, effort and little gain.

As an aside, there is no difference between the M Sport Blue and Red Calipers. As you mentioned, sometimes the M Performance calipers are available and those are red.
I managed to get a set of the M Sport blues pretty cheap (dealer had ordered them in for someone else who then didn't collect, so they've been sitting in their boxes on the shelf for about 4 months).

I see a dealer up north selling a M Performance Red upgrade kit on ebay... wow... what a price. I certainly couldn't justify £3,000 worth of brake upgrade - the wife would have conniptions!
Appreciate 0