BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-08-2008, 01:07 PM   #1
Warpspeed
ONEZILA is here.
Rep
Drives:

Could we have a DIY post for the CF Spoiler Install?

Hi,

With many owners ordering this performance part, I hope to see someone put up a DIY post for getting this install done in the DIY section of the forum board.

I did see that some owners have already installed this part from the pictures I see in their postings, and I hope these people would be able to add some of their install tips based on their experience.

Thank you for making this such an informative forum!
      04-08-2008, 01:11 PM   #2
coco_m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Supercharged E90 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2010 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
You should post a DIY Request in the DIY Thread.
      04-08-2008, 02:00 PM   #3
Warpspeed
ONEZILA is here.
Rep
Drives:

I assumed that the post should not be in the DIY forum as it was not a DIY instruction but more of a request.

But you are right in moving it to this forum. Thanks for the trouble.

Hopefully someone would post a DIY for this soon. :iono:
      05-02-2008, 01:35 PM   #4
Warpspeed
ONEZILA is here.
Rep
Drives:

Bumping this thread as I think that many owners would have gone ahead to order this mod by now, but so far, no one has posted a DIY for this procedure.

Could somebody contribute and post this DIY request? :iono:

Thanks so much!
      05-02-2008, 05:47 PM   #5
Texas
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 & E88

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpspeed View Post
Bumping this thread as I think that many owners would have gone ahead to order this mod by now, but so far, no one has posted a DIY for this procedure.

Thanks so much!
Bump.

Maybe one of the BMW dealerships who frequent this board could post the instructions? Anything will help.
      05-02-2008, 06:53 PM   #6
JohnL135I
Donkey Kong King
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Boss 302

Hey guys, great news. Just checked my e mail and my order for my CF spoiler and CF mirror covers is complete and shipped. I will be posting a complete DIY for the spoiler and mirrors with video as soon as I get these items.

Cheers:thumbup:
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2008, 11:03 PM   #7
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnL135I View Post
Hey guys, great news. Just checked my e mail and my order for my CF spoiler and CF mirror covers is complete and shipped. I will be posting a complete DIY for the spoiler and mirrors with video as soon as I get these items.

Cheers:thumbup:
Perfect. I have a spoiler on the way and I'm contemplating the mirror caps to complete the look.
      05-03-2008, 07:52 AM   #8
AndyM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:

Thanks so much!
Didn’t I email you the BMW instructions a while ago?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2008, 10:51 AM   #9
Texas
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyM View Post
Didn’t I email you the BMW instructions a while ago?

Please post them for all of us to see.

Thanks!
      05-03-2008, 11:17 AM   #10
AndyM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas View Post
Please post them for all of us to see.

Thanks!
I am not comfortable posting TIS documents. I will let someone else do that.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2008, 05:45 PM   #11
Warpspeed
ONEZILA is here.
Rep
Drives:

Yes, I was e-mailed the instructions by AndyM, Thanks! :smile:
However, I found the instructions pretty vaugue, (nothing to do with Andy) and hope somebody could post a step by step actual installation like some of the detailed picture DIYs that have been shown on this board.
      05-03-2008, 09:07 PM   #12
Texas
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I am not comfortable posting TIS documents. I will let someone else do that.
TIS means what?
      05-03-2008, 11:05 PM   #13
AndyM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas View Post
TIS means what?
BMW Technical Information Site. This is the resource the service techs use for repair instructions/tightening torques/etc.

You can pay for different amounts of access, 24hours, 30 days, 1 year.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2008, 06:30 AM   #14
AussieRacer
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

You can purchase TIS CDs on eBay
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2008, 07:34 AM   #15
AndyM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieRacer View Post
You can purchase TIS CDs on eBay
I have not found them. Closest I got was up to 2004 MY.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2008, 08:06 AM   #16
AndyM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Yes, I was e-mailed the instructions by AndyM, Thanks! :smile:
However, I found the instructions pretty vaugue, (nothing to do with Andy) and hope somebody could post a step by step actual installation like some of the detailed picture DIYs that have been shown on this board.
Did the person you bought the spoiler from include the BMW Betalink product?

Option 1:
Call 3M or a 3M distributor and ask them what VHB (very high bond) tape they would recommend for this application. Clean the area where the spoiler mounts and remove the wax. Clean the area with alcohol and use the tape to apply the spoiler. Follow 3M’s instructions for temperature and time to bond. Make sure you get tape that is the correct thickness.

Option 2 (the instructions I sent you):
Use the BMW Betalink product (82 69 9 408 866). Betalink includes the following:
1. Plastic Scraper
2. Emery Paper
3. Cleaner
4. Adhesive

Clean the area where the spoiler is going and remove the wax. Set the spoiler in place and with masking tape, designate the forward edge of the spoiler. Remove the spoiler. Use the Cleaner (3) on the area where the spoiler is mounting. Use the Emery paper (2) to lightly sand the underside of the spoiler. Clean the underside of the spoiler with the Cleaner (3). Apply the adhesive (4) to the underside of the spoiler and set the spoiler in place. Use the Scraper (1) to remove the excess adhesive that came out onto the masking tape. Remove the masking tape. Use the cleaner and scraper to remove any more of the adhesive. Using more tape, tape the spoiler down so it can fully bond.

Per the instructions, the car is not to be driven for 12 hours and is wash resistant in 48 hours. Bonding needs to be between 18 and 35 degree Celsius.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2008, 03:33 PM   #17
Texas
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Did the person you bought the spoiler from include the BMW Betalink product?

Option 1:
Call 3M or a 3M distributor and ask them what VHB (very high bond) tape they would recommend for this application. Clean the area where the spoiler mounts and remove the wax. Clean the area with alcohol and use the tape to apply the spoiler. Follow 3M’s instructions for temperature and time to bond. Make sure you get tape that is the correct thickness.

Option 2 (the instructions I sent you):
Use the BMW Betalink product (82 69 9 408 866). Betalink includes the following:
1. Plastic Scraper
2. Emery Paper
3. Cleaner
4. Adhesive

Clean the area where the spoiler is going and remove the wax. Set the spoiler in place and with masking tape, designate the forward edge of the spoiler. Remove the spoiler. Use the Cleaner (3) on the area where the spoiler is mounting. Use the Emery paper (2) to lightly sand the underside of the spoiler. Clean the underside of the spoiler with the Cleaner (3). Apply the adhesive (4) to the underside of the spoiler and set the spoiler in place. Use the Scraper (1) to remove the excess adhesive that came out onto the masking tape. Remove the masking tape. Use the cleaner and scraper to remove any more of the adhesive. Using more tape, tape the spoiler down so it can fully bond.

Per the instructions, the car is not to be driven for 12 hours and is wash resistant in 48 hours. Bonding needs to be between 18 and 35 degree Celsius.
Thank you and thanks for explaining "TIS" too.
      05-05-2008, 03:01 AM   #18
Warpspeed
ONEZILA is here.
Rep
Drives:

Great information as always AndyM ! :biggrin:

I actually saw the red 3M tape being sold in Kragan that can be used for this purpose. They market it as a super strong 3M tape that can be used for car OEM molding attachments.

Anyways, just to add a few points and to summarize your instructions:

1) Use flossing thread under the original spoiler to remove it.
2) After removal of original spoiler, use Goo Gone to rub away remaining sticky residue from car body.
3) Use a 30%/70% alcohol to water mixture to remove the wax coating from area that the new performance spoiler will attach to.
4) Peel off one side of the red 3M tape, and stick it to the leading and trailing edge of the bottom of the spoiler (As I have not done this yet, I am thinking the 3M tape should run the whole edge)
5) Confirm alignment of new spoiler on the lip of the trunk.
6) Peel off the other side of the 3M tape, and stick the spoiler to the car trunk. Apply pressure firmly for at least 30seconds?
7) Allow the 3M red tape adhension to 'cure' for at least 12 hours before attempting any kind of force on the spoiler.

The above method is of course isolated to individuals looking to use the 3M tape method versus the BMW permanant epoxy method.

As I have not performed this mod yet, if anyone has any better advice to add, especially those who have already done it, please feel free to add your comments!

Thank you! :smile:
      05-05-2008, 05:51 AM   #19
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Does anyone have a 3M part number for the correct tape? How many mils thick should it be?
      05-05-2008, 07:49 AM   #20
AndyM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Great information as always AndyM ! :biggrin:

I actually saw the red 3M tape being sold in Kragan that can be used for this purpose. They market it as a super strong 3M tape that can be used for car OEM molding attachments.

Anyways, just to add a few points and to summarize your instructions:

1) Use flossing thread under the original spoiler to remove it.
2) After removal of original spoiler, use Goo Gone to rub away remaining sticky residue from car body.
3) Use a 30%/70% alcohol to water mixture to remove the wax coating from area that the new performance spoiler will attach to.
4) Peel off one side of the red 3M tape, and stick it to the leading and trailing edge of the bottom of the spoiler (As I have not done this yet, I am thinking the 3M tape should run the whole edge)
5) Confirm alignment of new spoiler on the lip of the trunk.
6) Peel off the other side of the 3M tape, and stick the spoiler to the car trunk. Apply pressure firmly for at least 30seconds?
7) Allow the 3M red tape adhension to ‘cure’ for at least 12 hours before attempting any kind of force on the spoiler.

The above method is of course isolated to individuals looking to use the 3M tape method versus the BMW permanant epoxy method.

As I have not performed this mod yet, if anyone has any better advice to add, especially those who have already done it, please feel free to add your comments!

Thank you! :smile:
My experience with 3M tape (10+ years) is that what it is sold in a store is very different from what is correct one to use. I would call 3M and see what they say.

Use 3M Adhesive and Wax remover to remove the wax.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 11:24 AM   #21
Warpspeed
ONEZILA is here.
Rep
Drives:

Ok, I just did the first stage of the spoiler install....

MAN! Removing the original spoiler using the flossing thread is peanuts compared to removing the left over double sided tape.

I just spent the entire night (5 hours) using a combination of Goo Gone, hot blow dryer, tons of elbow grease and almost wore the joints off my finger bones before I could completely remove the left over tape.

But now that its all gone, I can proceed to the next step of using the alcohol to remove the wax and finally mounting the carbon fiber spoiler! :roundel:
      05-06-2008, 11:31 AM   #22
jtsherri
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: TBD

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Ok, I just did the first stage of the spoiler install....

MAN! Removing the original spoiler using the flossing thread is peanuts compared to removing the left over double sided tape.

I just spent the entire night (5 hours) using a combination of Goo Gone, hot blow dryer, tons of elbow grease and almost wore the joints off my finger bones before I could completely remove the left over tape.

But now that its all gone, I can proceed to the next step of using the alcohol to remove the wax and finally mounting the carbon fiber spoiler! :roundel:
Consider yourself lucky... One time, while debadging one of my previous cars, the double-sided tape was so stubborn I actually blistered my thumb rubbing it off and it got infected - that was very uncomfortable.

Pics ASAP! :smile:
Appreciate 0