BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-17-2024, 03:50 PM   #1
I Lupi 16
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Small Paint Chipping / Correction

Purchased a used 2022 black m240i w/ 14,000 miles on it 2 months ago. Previous owner had taken pretty good care of it and only had a couple blemishes (a few small paint chips).

I was inspecting my car a couple days ago and noticed a bunch of small (even smaller) paint chips on the hood, specifically the front driver side. The chips are not as large as the few the car came with but if you look closely, you can see it. I am assuming this is from a car throwing up sand and small rocks in front of me? However it happened, it happened.

The pictures below shows the chipping. Yellow circle indicates the chips that were already there. Red circle indicates the new smaller chips I recently noticed. **After posting this thread, I realize the "very small" chips are hard to see in the red circle. They are very small and rang from pin need to sand of grain. When the car is the garage at night, it is easiest to spot.

Does anyone have some insight on how to go about fixing this?
-Claying and polishing to fix/fill these smaller chips?
-Purchasing correction paint and putting small dots on the hood?
-Taking it somewhere? If so, what procedure to have done?

Lastly, the car came with PermaPlate Paint Guard and I had the coverage transferred to me. has anyone successfully filed a claim with them? Appreciate any insight!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-17-2024, 04:24 PM   #2
Car-Addicted
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.91]
These is the right way to do it
How To Correctly "Paint Touch-Up" Stone Chips On Your Car To Get The Best Results!

I'm just starting to do that on the M4CS. I visited two body shops and I was dazzled by their lack of knowledge combined with the high prices. DYI for me.
Appreciate 3
      06-18-2024, 01:26 PM   #3
I Lupi 16
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Addicted View Post
These is the right way to do it
How To Correctly "Paint Touch-Up" Stone Chips On Your Car To Get The Best Results!

I'm just starting to do that on the M4CS. I visited two body shops and I was dazzled by their lack of knowledge combined with the high prices. DYI for me.
Appreciate the insight. I'll reach out to my local BMW dealership and ask for some touch up paint (black sapphire metallic).

Has anyone successfully filed a claim through PermaPlate?
Appreciate 1
      06-18-2024, 02:10 PM   #4
flak
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

I recently bought Dr. Color Chip because in the past I've been dissatisfied with OEM touch up paint. In fact, there were a couple rock chips on my Z4 from previous owner the dealer put on BMW and it looked terrible.

The Dr. Color Chip stuff works great and is perfect color match. I definitely recommend going that way, especially if you're not comfortable doing anything crazy that might make it worse (which I'm not).
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2024, 04:26 PM   #5
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

I used Dr. Color Chip on my old E46 in Titanium Silver and was happy with it. I'd look at YouTube for videos and get some pointers before attempting the project.
      06-18-2024, 05:51 PM   #6
MADBMWX5MC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5MC

Another DrChip guy here...works great
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2024, 06:50 PM   #7
Jbrown7403
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by flak View Post
I recently bought Dr. Color Chip because in the past I've been dissatisfied with OEM touch up paint. In fact, there were a couple rock chips on my Z4 from previous owner the dealer put on BMW and it looked terrible.

The Dr. Color Chip stuff works great and is perfect color match. I definitely recommend going that way, especially if you're not comfortable doing anything crazy that might make it worse (which I'm not).
Agreed regarding Dr. ColorChip!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2024, 06:50 PM   #8
Tman97
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW m340i portimao blue

I've used both Dr. ColorChip and Chipex. Both are good products and the color match is far superior to any OEM touchup paint. They are both extremely easy to use as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2024, 02:47 PM   #9
I Lupi 16
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flak View Post

I will be purchasing touch up paint from Dr. Color Chip. Thanks to you and the other commentors! Looking forward to getting this done.

Last edited by I Lupi 16; 06-19-2024 at 04:32 PM..
Appreciate 1
flak172.50
      06-23-2024, 07:30 AM   #10
scubajim
Private
Rep
Drives: 16 BMW 435 F33 S2 / 03 BMW 540

I unfortunately have numerous chips on my hood and someone at one point tried to fill a few and did a terrible job. There are some blobs of paint on some locations. I am guessing the process in the video that car-addicted posted would fix this. I have to say my comfort level for this technique isn't very high. I will tear into mechanical repair work without much hesitation, but I have a hard time scratching up my paint in order to fix it. I know it's my lack experience and I would like to attempt it. My hood more likely needs a respray. Maybe i should experiment and plan on a respray.
      06-23-2024, 01:52 PM   #11
Car-Addicted
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.91]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubajim View Post
I unfortunately have numerous chips on my hood and someone at one point tried to fill a few and did a terrible job. .....My hood more likely needs a respray. Maybe i should experiment and plan on a respray.
I would always try a paint correction before a repaint. It's not that hard but if you don't want to invest in the equipment then I would look up a good detailing shop and ask them for an opinion. A paint thickness check is warranted.
I'm almost done rebuilding the carbon fiber splitter on my M4CS and it's not rocket science.
I'll post pictures when done but it's hard to see the damage now using basically the same repair technique in the video but fiberglass resin instead of paint.
Appreciate 1