BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-19-2008, 02:22 PM   #1
imported_Katera
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Umm....I just spoke to Griots, and you are not going to believe what they said.....

I spoke to Griots customer service about placing a large order, when the customer service lady politely asked me what kind of car it was and when it was actually built. I told her about 5 weeks ago. She then very emphatically stated that I should *NOT* seal or wax the car for a minimum of 3 months and up to 4 months after it was painted. She said doing it sooner would almost guarantee "Fish eyes" appearing in the paint. She went on to say that the paint takes at least 3 months to cure and will be releasing gases for that long. Any sealant or any wax will cause this "Fish eye" effect. She said they are right next door to a BMW dealership and deal with this all the time on new cars.

Thoughts? I was pretty stunned.
-Boston Grey Leather with Black High Gloss Accent
-Moonlit Black Top
-Comfort Access
-Premium P.
-Sport P.
-Premium Stereo
-IPOD/USB
-BMW Performance Pedals
-BMW Windscreen
-Sat Radio

Meet Kat!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2008, 02:34 PM   #2
corpsman
130 kmh, yeah right.
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Montego,6MT,

Thanks, great info. I'll remember that.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2008, 02:37 PM   #3
M3WannaBe
Loiterer
Rep
Drives:

Interesting. I've read before that this is true for repainted cars, but NOT for new cars. I must assume that this person knows what she's talking about, though.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2008, 02:37 PM   #4
redwood
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1999 BMW 328i

I didn't know it was that long, but when I got my last new BMW, I was told by the dealer to not wax it for 2 months. Then again, it had spent a while coming over to the U.S., so maybe that was part of the dry time.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2008, 02:57 PM   #5
kfiducia
Happy 1er
Rep
Drives: 08 135i, 05 R6, 67 Camaro

Sal Zaino says one month is all you need to wait. Most of our cars spend that long between production and dealer anyway. Body shop owner told me similar time period. 3 months seems excessive. I have no fisheyes. Just a bunch of (unavoidable) factory orange-peel.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2008, 03:02 PM   #6
ARES45
Major
Rep
Drives:

I Have heard 3-6 months. I waited about four from the build date just do be sure. I have also heard not to change the break-in oil for a few thousand, but I know people are doing it right at 1200 miles. I am waiting until about 2k.
      05-19-2008, 03:02 PM   #7
JTdrivin1
1 Love
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i 6MT

yea, i've heard that about repainted cars, but i thought it was more of a concern to detail where they use compound rather than just applying some wax.
i pick up my 1 tonight and was planning on spending some quality time with her and my new Zaino package this weekend.... think i should wait?? :iono:
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2008, 03:05 PM   #8
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

BMW bakes the paint onto the car at the factory. Very little cure time.

Mine was waxed at ED PDI a week after it was built.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2008, 03:17 PM   #9
imported_Katera
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Well that's why I posted this, I know a lot of guys are detailing the car as soon as they get it. She was emphatic about it though, and when I asked her about BMW curing the paint at the factory she she they are right next to a BMW dealership and get this all the time. They tell every person who comes in the same thing. No Wax and No sealent for a minimum of 3 months. This is pretty much all Griots does so I hate to say it...but I'm going to trust them.

She did say you could use all the Griots Speed shine you wanted. Basically just wash and Speed shine the car. Anything else will lead to fish eyeing..whatever that is.
-Moonlit Black Top
-Comfort Access
-Premium P.
-Sport P.
-Premium Stereo
-IPOD/USB
-BMW Performance Pedals
-BMW Windscreen
-Sat Radio

Meet Kat!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2008, 03:24 PM   #10
colonel1961
Rammer Jammer
Rep
Drives:

Being lazy has finally paid off!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2008, 03:33 PM   #11
imported_Katera
Captain
Rep
Drives:

I just called my BMW dealer service dept and the service manager said, Yes...you should wait 3 months from production. Wow. I asked him if BMW had an official position on this and he said he would research it and call me back. I will post the update from them...
-Moonlit Black Top
-Comfort Access
-Premium P.
-Sport P.
-Premium Stereo
-IPOD/USB
-BMW Performance Pedals
-BMW Windscreen
-Sat Radio

Meet Kat!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2008, 03:35 PM   #12
OrientBlauZHP
1addict regardless
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel1961 View Post

My sentiments exactly. Thanks for posting this, looks like Speedshine and I are going to get to know 1 another pretty well. It's also nice to see that I'm not the only Griots freak; man I love their products.
      05-19-2008, 03:36 PM   #13
OrientBlauZHP
1addict regardless
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katera View Post
I just called my BMW dealer service dept and the service manager said, Yes...you should wait 3 months from production. Wow. I asked him if BMW had an official position on this and he said he would research it and call me back. I will post the update from them...
Sweet, even better
      05-19-2008, 03:43 PM   #14
TP 135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i SGM MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel1961 View Post
WOW..........you are right, colonel.........I've been feeling stupid about not "getting to" doing the whole clay, polish, wax thing. Now I'm like :thumbup:

Thanks....Katera for the information

My build was complete on Feb 11, so I'm good to go. It's been 3 months.

2008 135i SGM
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2008, 03:58 PM   #15
kfiducia
Happy 1er
Rep

fisheye is most often caused by contaminants such a grease or oil on the metal before paint which causes problems adhering, also, water and silicone products in the air lines used in painting (paint guns use compressed air). i find it entirely unlikely that after the paint has cured for a month it can be affected by sealants. if so, road grease would also wreak havoc on your paint, which it doesn't. my $.02.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2008, 04:02 PM   #16
SCA1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 911 coming soon...

Would this waiting apply to getting a ClearBra or something similar installed? I'm planning to do this and would hate to have to collect chips in the front bumper while I wait for this curing process. Any info from anyone on this??
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2008, 04:20 PM   #17
kfiducia
Happy 1er
Rep

I called the owner of a body shop in town, they said the lady is mistaken, that a sealant would not cause fish-eye, if anything it would cause what is called solvent pop, which can look like fish eye, it looks like tiny air bubbles trapped in the paint. one month should be plenty of time to wait, and that is with the non-optimal conditions of an aftermarket paint, rather than the high end super clean factory paint booths.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2008, 04:35 PM   #18
dclee1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I started googling this to get confirmation, and for counterpoint's sake I found this on Meguiars.com:

A new car with a factory paint job can be waxed the moment it is rolled out of the manufacturing plant. Cars that have factory paint jobs are cured at much higher temperatures, sometimes as high as 300 degrees in special baking ovens. At a factory level, the car goes through the painting and baking process without any of the rubber, plastic, and cloth components installed. This is why they can expose the car and it's fresh paint to such high temperatures. These high temperatures and special paints used at the factory level insures the paint is fully cured by the time the car is completely assembled.
After-market paint finishes however, are cured at a much lower temperature to ensure the method of baking or heating the paint doesn't melt non-metal components such as wiring and vinyl. For this reason, it's best to follow the specific paint manufactures recommendations for care and maintenance of fresh paint. Most paint manufactures that supply paint to the refinish industry recommend that you allow anywhere from 30 to 90 days curing time after the paint is applied before you apply the first application of wax.
To maintain your cars fresh paint during the recommended curing time you can safely use any of the below Meguiar's pure polishes, which are not only safe for fresh paint but help to enhance the curing process while making your paint look it's absolute best.
      05-19-2008, 05:49 PM   #19
RedTRex
Digital Cerebrum
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05 330ci ZHP

Garage List
2005 BMW 330ci  [0.00]
I really don't think more needs to be added but alas I will anyway,
the last 4 post are all true/correct info - granted Meguiars is a more authoritative source than I ...... but I have been invloved in auto painting enough to know - The Groits lady was out to lunch, you are completely safe waxing/sealing by the time you get your car here.....
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2008, 05:57 PM   #20
imported_Katera
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Ok, sounds good. This is why I posted this as it sounded nuts. I don't understand why the service guy said the same thing, unless he really didn't know. Interesting.

As for the clear bra, not that it matters but I did ask the Griots lady about that and she said the clear bra lets the paint breath and will not cause damage.
-Moonlit Black Top
-Comfort Access
-Premium P.
-Sport P.
-Premium Stereo
-IPOD/USB
-BMW Performance Pedals
-BMW Windscreen
-Sat Radio

Meet Kat!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2008, 06:00 PM   #21
corneredbeast
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Coupe

I really like most of the stuff I've bought from Griots. But, I would hold this opinion from the Griot's telephone sales associate about as highly as I would the opinion of my dealer's receptionist about the intricacies of the torque converter in my steptronic.

I wouldn't even try to recount the number of times I've polished, clayed, and waxed every new car I've owned within the first 3-4 months. It's a wonder my E46 had any paint left after a year. If you're really worked up about this, I'm sure there are a thousand threads on this very subject at Autopia.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2008, 06:19 PM   #22
buckwheat986
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

The waiting was the old school approach and is still debated.

There is nothing wrong with detailing a new car. But my own personal choice is not to use any cleaner waxes or sealers the first 6 months.
Appreciate 0