BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-01-2008, 08:23 PM   #1
raisemyrent
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 428i xD GC

put some swirls on it, please help!

Hi Guys,

I have a BSM 135i, and I just got it last week, and I have one of those dusters that have some oil in them that are supposed to not scratch your car and get more efficient as they pick up more dust.

Anyhow, I used to seldom use it for my Jetta, but I decided to clean it up and keep it around for the black car, because my parkade is a dust palace.

Well, I used it because it was so dirty overnight that it was annoying me, and I put some swirls just over the trunk!

What can I do??? Please advise...

I figure it was because I scrubbed to hard and too much on the same spot with the thing, instead of just giving it a single pass that ends at an edge so that the dirt can kind of fall off. I applied this to the rest of the car and didn't damage the paint from then on, and my car looked amazing again.

Is clayin/polishing/waxing the only thing I can do to get rid of those first blemishes???
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2008, 08:53 PM   #2
FD911
Private
Rep
Drives:

Worked well on mine
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2008, 11:27 PM   #3
JohnL135I
Donkey Kong King
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Boss 302

The only way to properly remove swirls is to polish the paint with a buffer. I recommend a porter cable or flex (random orbital). I would also recommend getting some Menzerna polish. Feel free to pm me with specific recommendations if your interested.
      06-02-2008, 12:15 AM   #4
pheller
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisemyrent View Post
I figure it was because I scrubbed to hard and too much on the same spot with the thing
"Scrubbed?" I assume it's the California Car Duster or similar paraffin wax coated dusting brush you're using....

The use of the duster should be incredibly light. The strands should just lightly glide across the car surface.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2008, 11:48 PM   #5
SL01
Private
Rep
Drives:

If you haven't already, you might try just washing it. The swirls may simply be wax/oil from the duster.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2008, 10:54 AM   #6
vanbmw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black 335i

Next time try some spray on quick detailer spray for the dust. It should lubricate better and leave behind a good shine. Just get a good microfibre towel to use with the quick detailer. Sounds like you might need to do some swirl remover/polish and a wax to that trunk lid!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2008, 07:54 PM   #7
Justin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

I'm with JohnL135I. Get some polish or a glaze and buff it. It'll be good as new. You'll need a buffer eventually with a black car anyway. The porter cable 7424 is a classic, otherwise the Ultimate Detailing Machine or Meguiars 110 are both good. If you've got more money go with the Flex. They're all good... plus they're random orbitals, not rotary, so they're a cinch to use and wont' damage your paint even if you're a novice.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2008, 08:16 PM   #8
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Claying is not going to help the swirls at all. Go for a decent polishing, maybe Griots Fine Machine Polish, and see how that works (not familiar with other brands, but I'm sure there are decent ones out there). You may need to use it twice. Once it looks decent (might be, after 1 application), seal it with a decent wax, and then get yourself a new Cali duster. They are not supposed to do that, but will if you do not store them in the bag/cover, and they get covered with dirt particles.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2008, 08:58 PM   #9
imported_Katera
Captain
Rep
Drives:

lol I bought the 6" and 3" Griots orbiter this week. Jet black for the win, LOL.
-Boston Grey Leather with Black High Gloss Accent
-Moonlit Black Top
-Comfort Access
-Premium P.
-Sport P.
-Premium Stereo
-IPOD/USB
-BMW Performance Pedals
-BMW Windscreen
-Sat Radio

Meet Kat!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 07:24 AM   #10
Esmallstii
Systematic Chaos
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL01 View Post
If you haven't already, you might try just washing it. The swirls may simply be wax/oil from the duster.
+1,..I bet thats what they are. Spray some Speed shine or similiar "quick detailer" spray on the area and give it a good wipe w/ a microfiber. betcha that works.
DOH!!! Just noticed that remedy was already mentioned.
BSM/Coral red/Sp pkg/Cft access/Htd seats/BMW Performance Pedals, Spoiler, & Rotors/18" VMR V710's/Hankook Ventus/Cool Carbon Pads ."The 135i's engine sound is so ferocious and bittersweet, so carnal and wicked, somebody ought to name a heavy-metal band after it: Velvet Chain Saw."
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 09:34 PM   #11
Larry_Legend
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

I was using a Micro Clean Microfiber Extreme Clean Drying Towel along with some Quick Detailer. Seemed to work fine almost everywhere but I must have gotten some dirt under the towel somehow because I see some slight swirls in the paint. I was just cleaning off some bugs! Is it possible that I'm going crazy, I am a bit anal. I gave it another go with a little more quick detailer and the swirls appear to have subsided a bit. I am using a flashlight to look at it since my garage is pretty dimly lit. Any advice would be appreciated... 135 has 99 miles on it and im losing my mind...
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 09:43 PM   #12
imported_Katera
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Brother let me tell you...faint swirls and faint scratches are a fact of life for us with black cars. I can sneeze and get a swirl, lol. My advice? Polish, seal the paint, and put a couple good coats of wax on it. I use Griots stuff and it works well. Just know that you are always going to have some faint towel marks and some slight scratches that show up...because it is black.

If you have OCD one of two things will happen...you will either get over the OCD and learn to live with a beautiful yet imperfect color....or you go postal and mow down half of the people in your local Wal-Mart when you finally snap. ROFL
-Boston Grey Leather with Black High Gloss Accent
-Moonlit Black Top
-Comfort Access
-Premium P.
-Sport P.
-Premium Stereo
-IPOD/USB
-BMW Performance Pedals
-BMW Windscreen
-Sat Radio

Meet Kat!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 07:14 AM   #13
Larry_Legend
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I was thinking of broninf it in for a full detail every 6 months
will they get those marks out? Someone on this thread said the griots machine can do it
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 08:32 AM   #14
Larry_Legend
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Sorry about the iPhone typo. I plan to bring it in for a detailing every 6-8 months, whenever it looks like it needs it. I am using that "Quick Detailer" spray. It appears that it got rid of some of the marks as of this morning. I'm still quite annoyed. Does it even matter if you buy a crazy microfiber towel that costs a bundle? If so, I'm going to get one.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 06:35 PM   #15
J-Sud
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Detailed Image Has some good write ups, this is where i learned a lot of my stuff. Griots is ok, but not worth it for what it does and how much it costs. Its not that it is expensive to me (before someone flames) I have Zymol Concours and some Vintage; it is just that there are better products for the money IMO. There are plenty of other brands out there. I suggest spending time to do a lot of research and then make the decision for yourself, don't just follow what everyone else is doing. I have changed products several times and still don't have "favorites" for anything. Each company makes products that are good. Ex: Chemical Guys make some great products....but their polish sucks. Zymol makes some good high end wax....some of their other products are questionable.

Here is the link to DI for help on proper detailing techniques: http://www.detailedimage.com/guides.php

:thumbup: Good luck and I hope you find what you need/want
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2008, 06:07 AM   #16
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

For removing swirls by hand -or at least making them less noticeable by filling them in - use Autoglym Super Resin Polish. Autopia.org did a test with several products and Autoglym came out tops. It can be even used on plastic lights to remove scratches with a buffer.

I have been using the stuff for years with good success as a general product.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2008, 02:05 PM   #17
Dan203
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

I washed mine yesterday and now it has swirls all over it. I used one of those disposable "shami" towels from the coin op place to dry it and it must have been too rough.* If I take it to a professional detail place will they be able to buff the swirls out? I'm having an invisible bra installed in a couple of days and I don't want the swirls permanently stuck under the bra.

Dan

* I use to use these on my old car all the time and I never noticed any swirls, but it had a flat color paint, so that may be why.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2008, 02:50 PM   #18
mchaskell
Traveler
Rep
Drives: 135i

Dan 203,

Any professional detailer can take out swirls, just ask them to use the finest polish (and if they use foam bonnets the one that cuts the least) first then work backwards as needed to the rougher stuff. Removing swirl marks means cutting the clear coat down and you want the least amount of clear coat removed.
      06-12-2008, 03:03 PM   #19
Larry_Legend
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I'd just go online and take a look at the Griot's video. Google for their website address. It looks to be pretty good. I also think that the Meguilar's Quick Detailer and a good microfiber towel might do the job depending on how bad the swirls are. Good luck! Report back on what you end up doing...
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2008, 10:56 PM   #20
J-Sud
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry_Legend View Post
I'd just go online and take a look at the Griot's video. Google for their website address. It looks to be pretty good. I also think that the Meguilar's Quick Detailer and a good microfiber towel might do the job depending on how bad the swirls are. Good luck! Report back on what you end up doing...
QD doesnt take out swirls and never will....you need a abrasive polish/compound to be applied using a Dual action or rotary polisher.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2008, 10:28 AM   #21
Boosted_N54
Major
Rep
Drives: 135i N54

you will always have swirls when washing your car with a mitt or any kind product.. even though the mitt is the best way to go.. but its also the type of mitt you use i use the 1 from bmw thats made by Genuine Sheepswool Wash Mitt dont get your mitt from other auto car stores PLEASE

http://64.225.94.154/ShopSite/page95.html
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2008, 10:45 AM   #22
BJDrew
Impatiently Waiting
Rep
Drives:

Please note the controversy regarding how long one should wait to wax or polish a newly painted car.

I play it safe and wait 4-8 weeks from production date before applying any polish or wax products.

Manufacturers wil tell you that the processes now make the curing time rapid and no need to wait, but I play it safe. Manufacturers also tell us that you need to wait thousands of miles before the first oil change.
Appreciate 0