BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-19-2008, 09:51 AM   #1
RickR
Private
Rep
Drives:

tint and dot matrix problems?

I had Llumar tint installed yesterday. The tint covering the dot matrix portions of the windows are somewhat uneven - as if the film did not quite adhere. When I brought this to the attention of the installer, he said that was a common problem and that there is nothing that can be done about it. Of course, he didn't mention the dot matrix as a potential problem prior to the install.

Is the installer correct about the dot matrix issue? Or are there techniques to fix the problem?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 10:11 AM   #2
InsaneSkippy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

I've heard that you can sand the dot matrix (very carefully mind you) down slightly and it will allow the tint to adhere. I'm not positive on the results, that's just what I've heard/read.

http://www.tintdude.com/totw89.html

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 01:15 PM   #3
lib
Major
Rep
Drives: <This space for rent>

Once the tint fully dries you can go over it again and press it into the valleys between the dots.
It's very hard to get that area perfect but if they've done it right it can look perfect.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 04:54 PM   #4
M3Newbie88
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lib View Post
Once the tint fully dries you can go over it again and press it into the valleys between the dots.
It's very hard to get that area perfect but if they've done it right it can look perfect.
I got the same prob.. bringing my car back for them to press it.. cuz it looks really cheap if you dont.. its like its about to come off or something..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 08:54 PM   #5
04Enthusiast
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i Cpe

That is the exact reason I am not tinting.

Google tinting and you will find some tinters are sanding the dots and then painting the whole area. I have not seen it myself but many on other sites say it works. I am sure its big $$$.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 09:22 PM   #6
Russo
Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 Dodge Dakota Big Horn

please, do not sand the dot matrix on your windows... it's about as stupid as cleaning a loaded gun....

BLUEFAKES.COM ARE SCAMMERS, LIERS, AND CHEATERS! DO NOT BUY FROM THEM!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2008, 08:05 AM   #7
RickR
Private
Rep
Drives:

Thanks for the responses so far. I'll take it back to see if they can improve it.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2008, 08:11 AM   #8
CAMike
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

I've had tint done on cars with the dots and they took extra time on the dot section. It looked great when done and even after 3 years, still looks great with no problems. I would not suggest sanding anything!!
      06-20-2008, 08:15 AM   #9
ARES45
Major
Rep
Drives:

Can this be done a month after, or is it too late for the extra pressing to adhere?
      06-20-2008, 08:16 AM   #10
CAMike
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

I think it would need to be done at the time of application though I do not know for sure. Take a credit card and try pressing between the dots and see if it sticks...that's basically what they will do at the shop.
      06-20-2008, 08:19 AM   #11
ARES45
Major
Rep
Drives:

Wilco, thanks.
      06-20-2008, 08:55 AM   #12
rocketpop
Captain
No_Country
Rep

What is the purpose of the dots anyway???
      06-20-2008, 09:23 AM   #13
Purgatory
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 xDrive 5.0

e46 Painting

On my e46 330Ci, I painted over the "dot matrix" and then tinted inside with fantastic results! It will give you that full dark tint, without the slight border that comes from the ceramic "dot matrix."

1. Buy a higher end oil based paint, and the softest brush you can find so that you won't leave streaks. FYI, I did this with a water based paint first and it looked like crap because it wouldn't stick... so get oil.

2. Tape off around the area you are going to paint. Take your time with this step... try and smooth out the curves and corners so that you get that OEM look.

3. apply the lightest coat you can then let dry, then I got a 1000 grit sand paper and smoothed it out then added another coat. I cannot stress enough that you should take your time with this, as the more time spent now the better it will look for the life of your car.

4. Then I let the pro tinter do his work and he tinted with a slight overlap onto the paint so you only see a pin line outline instead of the dot matrix. The oil paint lets the tint stick. Over time I have been able to press most of it out though.

When I get home today, I'll post some pics so that you can see the results.

Hopefully that helps!:wink:
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2008, 09:28 AM   #14
0002s
Mein Führer! I can walk!
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW

Give it a week of to dry. Leave it out in the Sun if you want it to dry faster. All bubbles went away in mine after a week.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2008, 09:48 AM   #15
Russo
Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 Dodge Dakota Big Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketpop View Post
What is the purpose of the dots anyway???
on the windshield it's called a Third Visor... basically, when you put the 2 visors down, it's supposed to provide additional protection from the sun..

BLUEFAKES.COM ARE SCAMMERS, LIERS, AND CHEATERS! DO NOT BUY FROM THEM!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2008, 09:49 AM   #16
InsaneSkippy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0002s View Post
Give it a week of to dry. Leave it out in the Sun if you want it to dry faster. All bubbles went away in mine after a week.
This is true for most tint bubbles. However it won't work with the dot matrix. It's not that there's excessive amounts of water trapped, it's that it just can't stick because the bumps of the dot matrix raise the tint slightly off the glass.

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2008, 10:09 AM   #17
0002s
Mein Führer! I can walk!
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneSkippy View Post
This is true for most tint bubbles. However it won't work with the dot matrix. It's not that there's excessive amounts of water trapped, it's that it just can't stick because the bumps of the dot matrix raise the tint slightly off the glass.
I see what you are saying...I guess I got "special" tint because I didn't have this issue after a week....:biggrin::biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2008, 02:12 PM   #18
RickR
Private
Rep
Drives:

So..I took the car back to the installer today - he worked on it for a bit; the blend with the dot matrix is better, but still not what I would consider acceptable. I'm thinking about having them just take the tint off.

The installer didn't have any suggestions other than to cut the tint off at the leading edge of the dots. Not sure what that would look like or if it would be an improvement. Grrrrr.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2008, 02:26 PM   #19
CAMike
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Find another shop...maybe ask the dealer for the name of the company they use. I have seen good tint jobs over dots before so I know it can be done. Good luck!
      06-20-2008, 02:28 PM   #20
RickR
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMike View Post
Find another shop...maybe ask the dealer for the name of the company they use.
Sadly, this is the shop the dealer recommended -(. I live in a smallish town and there aren't a lot of options. I wanted to go local in case there were problems that needed to be corrected - of course that approach kinda backfired.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2008, 02:57 PM   #21
lib
Major
Rep
Drives: <This space for rent>

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMike View Post
I think it would need to be done at the time of application though I do not know for sure. Take a credit card and try pressing between the dots and see if it sticks...that's basically what they will do at the shop.
I was told that if I wanted them to clean up the dot matrix on the rear window that I should come back after it had dried in 3-5 days.
I would assume you could still have it done unless there is some change in the behavior of the material between the week that it dries and a month later that I don't know about.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2008, 09:32 AM   #22
crzy4135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickR View Post
I had Llumar tint installed yesterday. The tint covering the dot matrix portions of the windows are somewhat uneven - as if the film did not quite adhere. When I brought this to the attention of the installer, he said that was a common problem and that there is nothing that can be done about it. Of course, he didn't mention the dot matrix as a potential problem prior to the install.

Is the installer correct about the dot matrix issue? Or are there techniques to fix the problem?
I have similar issues with huper optik. I was able to get the film to adhere to the dotted area of the door glass by pressing on it (with my finger) within a day or two after the film was installed. It still won't stick to the dotted areas around the rear side glass.

I wonder if you could use a razor sticker scraper and scrape the dots off before having film installed? I wish I would've tried it.