BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-26-2008, 09:13 AM   #1
jb2178
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

Zaino AIO Question

Until I can pickup a car cover I figured I'd put a nice coat of Zaino AIO on my 128. On Zaino's site the Application link instructs me to strip the old wax with Dawn and then use Zaino AIO and then other Zaino products... do I really need to do all this? I understand for the best finish I should but I'm not going to a car show or anything, just want a layer of protection.

Will I be ok putting the Zaino AIO on the existing wax?

On the back of the Zaino AIO bottle it says to buff it with a 100% soft cotton cloth, can I use microfiber cloths for this?

Thanks
      06-26-2008, 09:31 AM   #2
JohnL135I
Donkey Kong King
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Boss 302

I would wash the car with Dawn, it strips the old wax and allows the Zaino to bond with the clear coat. So I would wash the car with dawn(ensure you keep rinsing each panel you wash to prevent any sort of spotting)...dry, then Zaino.

Microfiber is fine, this is what I use. Its actually hard to find 100% cotton towels of good quality these days.
      06-26-2008, 09:33 AM   #3
jb2178
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

ok - gotta go get some dawn then but at least I can use my microfibers... thanks!
      06-26-2008, 10:20 AM   #4
gio
Captain
Rep
Drives:

The reason why Zaino doesn't recommend microfiber towels is because they are of varying quality. Some of them are great but some are really bad and can scratch your car. If you have some that you like, it's certainly ok to use them.
      06-26-2008, 06:50 PM   #5
penny
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i (sold)

Get the true 100% cotton / 100% zero twist cotton loop. The zero cotton loop makes a big difference. Much softer.

Hanover was the softest brand I tried at Linen & Things. Although it's made in India (Zaino says to use USA towels), it was the softest one and moderately priced.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2008, 11:29 PM   #6
SF_VR6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' X5 M-Sport / Space Gray

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Do we need another coat of wax on top of Zaino or is the AIO sufficient to protect?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 04:28 AM   #7
Nice1
Captain
Rep
Drives: e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_135i View Post
Do we need another coat of wax on top of Zaino or is the AIO sufficient to protect?
AIO can work by itself but used alone will not yield the same result as adding a coat or two of Z2/Z5 or Z-CS.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 09:29 AM   #8
Call
Call
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i, 08 & 07 X5, 05 MCSC

The real purpose of Zaino is protecting your car's finish. The shine is just a wonderful "side effect". Please don't cut corners with your car's finish. Leaving the clay bar process out is like polishing over a dirty, gritty surface. Clay barring a car is one of the easiest things you can do in protecting your car's finish.

Minimally do the following:
1) Strip the wax or polish off by using Dawn Liquid dish washing detergent and lots of water
2) Clay bar (Z18) the entire surface of your car (note before you start how rough the surface feels before starting and how smooth it feels afterward)
3) Wash with Z7 car wash concentrate
4) Apply Z AIO or most any of the other Zaino Polishes like Z2
5) Additional coats will provide even more protection and a deeper luster but that will be up to you.

Once you have done the above at least once, you should clay bar at least annually; additional coats of polish at your leisure. It will amaze you as to how easier it is to keep clean your car after polishing with Zaino.

Just a note, Zaino is a protective polish not a wax.

Call
      06-30-2008, 11:21 AM   #9
1er junkie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Call View Post
The real purpose of Zaino is protecting your car's finish. The shine is just a wonderful "side effect". Please don't cut corners with your car's finish. Leaving the clay bar process out is like polishing over a dirty, gritty surface. Clay barring a car is one of the easiest things you can do in protecting your car's finish.

1) Strip the wax or polish off by using Dawn Liquid dish washing detergent and lots of water
2) Clay bar (Z18) the entire surface of your car (note before you start how rough the surface feels before starting and how smooth it feels afterward)
5) Additional coats will provide even more protection and a deeper luster but that will be up to you.

Once you have done the above at least once, you should clay bar at least annually; additional coats of polish at your leisure. It will amaze you as to how easier it is to keep clean your car after polishing with Zaino.

Call
+1 for zaino
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 11:30 AM   #10
RobLS
Major
Rep
Drives: M3 Coupe

I finally made my decision for Zaino a few weeks back, havnt ordered it yet, but soon!
I guess I'll throw in a +1 though.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 09:36 AM   #11
Squidbilly
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Call View Post

Call
Given that Zaino is a protective polish, does anyone apply a coat of regular car wax once they've Zaino'd?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 09:59 AM   #12
rocketpop
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i

In the past I used Z2 with ZFX. Does the AIO do just as good. The AIO seems less time consuming.
      07-02-2008, 10:19 AM   #13
JohnL135I
Donkey Kong King
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidbilly View Post
Given that Zaino is a protective polish, does anyone apply a coat of regular car wax once they've Zaino'd?

I've tried this, but I have found if you layer a couple coats of the Z-2, the "POP" you get far exceeds the wax. (and yes I used a very high quality wax).

I would stick with just adding addition coats of Z-2 when you feel up to the task, the results are fantastic.
      07-02-2008, 10:22 AM   #14
JohnL135I
Donkey Kong King
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketpop View Post
In the past I used Z2 with ZFX. Does the AIO do just as good. The AIO seems less time consuming.

The AIO will provide you with a good level of protection and a good shine. If you want to really get the "Bling/Pop" out of the paint, then I would add a several layers of Z-2.
      07-02-2008, 10:27 AM   #15
rocketpop
Captain
No_Country
Rep

So then I should just skip AIO and stick with Z2.
      07-02-2008, 10:40 AM   #16
JohnL135I
Donkey Kong King
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketpop View Post
So then I should just skip AIO and stick with Z2.

This depends on the condition of the paint. The AIO has mild cleaners and polishes to remove any minor imperfections. The Z-2/Z-5 has no cleaners/abbrasives.

I would use the AIO, then follow with a coat of Z-2. Then once a month I would throw on a coat of Z-2.

If you feel your paint is in good conditon and does not require any polishing, then try the Z-2. Be aware the Z-2 really does not fill any minor swirls. Z-5 is used for this.
      07-02-2008, 10:50 AM   #17
rocketpop
Captain
No_Country
Rep

thx
      07-04-2008, 09:51 AM   #18
Squidbilly
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

The Zaino treatment calls for striping off the old wax with Dawn. Are new BMW's waxed by the factory or dealer? Is there any wax to strip off?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2008, 10:17 AM   #19
esses
No_Country
Rep
Drives: like I stole it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidbilly View Post
The Zaino treatment calls for striping off the old wax with Dawn. Are new BMW's waxed by the factory or dealer? Is there any wax to strip off?
They are waxed at your dealership unless you tell them not to (and they actually follow your instructions). As a general rule, the guy washing/waxing will be the lowest pay grade, and it will show.

Appreciate 0