BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-19-2008, 04:29 PM   #1
Larry_Legend
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Griot's Thumbs Down!

First experience using Griot's materials and was quite disappointed. I will preface these comments by saying I was in much better spirits by the end of the day, but early on the results were terrible.

Spray on Wax was drying way too fast making life hell. Even when it wasn't, I was getting streaks. Don't know what to make of this. Gave up after the hood and just washed the rest. Certainly could be my own inexperience. Please provide advice if you can.

Wash was okay but did not overly impress me. Problem with the wash process overall was that it was not totally cleaning the vehicle. I did every section twice and still see debris and other dirt on there. Not a huge fan. I'll have to take that stuff off with Super Shine.

Wheel and Tire cleaner are both excellent. Dressing is also nice. Wheel cleaner might be their best product.

Product of the Day is a tie between the Black and Decker Leaf Hog and this great bucket I got from Lowes for $11 that had 2 sections for rinsing out my sponges and mitts. http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...9-2&lpage=none

Leaf Hog picked up the slack from the drying towel that got too wet half way through. Did a tremendous job! A must have fellas, go get one!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2008, 05:30 PM   #2
J-Sud
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

i agree that their wash isnt very strong....and as far as Waxes....never buy liquid or spray on....i have never liked them
      07-19-2008, 05:34 PM   #3
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

I don't like their spray on wax that much, but I do have a couple gallons of Speed Shine in the garage, which I love for in between wash touch-up. Their Best of Show wax and Fine Hand Polish are fantastic as well.

I am surprised by the wheel cleaner comment. I also have a gallon of that, and don't like it too much.

Either way, sounds like you had a fun day. I love cleaning the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2008, 05:37 PM   #4
J-Sud
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
I don't like their spray on wax that much, but I do have a couple gallons of Speed Shine in the garage, which I love for in between wash touch-up. Their Best of Show wax and Fine Hand Polish are fantastic as well.

I am surprised by the wheel cleaner comment. I also have a gallon of that, and don't like it too much.

Either way, sounds like you had a fun day. I love cleaning the car.
Only Problem with there Fine Hand Polish is that i find it Fills swirls, which is counter to my objective which is to get rid of them.
      07-21-2008, 10:31 AM   #5
Larry_Legend
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I am planning on giving the car a second wash next weekend, but might hold off one more week (only a weekend driver, might be overkill)

It was 98 degrees in NJ while I was washing, so it wasnt as much fun as some might think. I really wanted that spray on wax to do the job and it wasnt working. Can I spray it onto a rag and run it in? Is less more with this stuff? I am thinking if I try it again, I'm going to use very little on the car and do it in smaller sections. Might be tough to pull off since the car is supposed to be a little wet when I do it.

I am considering returning some of these supplies. Not really impressed at all... Spent a lot of dough.

Can anyone talk me out of it? Give me some tips?

The Meguiars Quick Detailer Spray seems to be the best product I've bought so far. Works like a charm. Got rid of the streaks from the wash.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2008, 12:21 PM   #6
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: EBII 435i xDrive

Were you trying to wax with it in the sun at that temperature? I thought most waxes state that the car must be cool?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2008, 12:28 PM   #7
B25 Jim
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
The heat has a lot to do with it. Work in very small sections. Run through the whole process, wash, wax, dry, in order, and then move on to another section. Keep the car in a shaded area... make sure the paint is cool before you start, same with the wheels. Spray the wax directly onto the surface. If you are having problems with pre-drying, and then applying the wax, just apply the wax right after it's been rinsed. You need to wipe off the wax and water fairly quickly in hot weather, so it doesn't dry. The wash wont take off a lot of the heavy stuff because it is designed to not take off wax. Once you apply the sealant and best of show wax, the dirt will come off MUCH easier. I use the boars hair brush on the front bumper due to the bugs, etc. The brush picks stuff up very well. It also cleans off easily. You can also clay bar after you wash, and it will pick up a lot of that left over dirt/grime. Speed shine will help with all of the above as well.
The leaf hog blowing on the wax will cause the streaking as well, because the wax will dry on top of the paint surface... you need to physically wipe it off, or it will deffinately cause streaks. The biggest thing to me, is to work in small areas. Don't do to much (I do the front bumper in three sections when it is hot). Just take your time, don't expect to race thru it.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2008, 02:00 PM   #8
Larry_Legend
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I was in the shade, but since it was so hot, I did the best I could with it. I mean, this is after a rinse with cold water, so it can't be unreasonably hot. I plan to wash the car during the twilight hours after its been in the garage all day next time around to avoid the heat issue.

I didn't use the leaf hog on the roof or the hood. I only applied the spray on wax to those 2 areas and gave up. At the end of the day, its not as bad as I may be making it. However, I am noticing a streak here and there and have used the Meguiar's Quick Detailer spray and a soft MF towel to get rid of them. Works like a charm!

Anyone use both the Meg's Quick Detailer and Griot's Speed Shine and can give me a pro/con preference?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2008, 03:07 PM   #9
wa128
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW 135i DCT

As B25 Jim stated, work in small sections. I've used both Speed Shine and Spray on Wax and have had great results. I've used Meguiar's Quick Detailer but prefer Speed Shine. To me it comes off easier.

I use Meguiar's Gold Class car shampoo and a microfiber wash mitt. Doing one section at a time, I'll wipe the panel several times, flip the mitt over and wipe over again. You'll notice that the mitt glides more smoothly on the second pass. I'll know then that the panel is pretty clean. Then I'll move on to the next section.

As far as drying the car I use a waffle weave microfiber drying towel. While the car is still wet after rinsing off the shampoo I will spray on either Speed Shine or Spray on Wax on the wet surface, working again one section at a time. The key for me is not to spray too much product. I adjust the nozzle head so that it gives off a somewhat wide spray. What I want to do is just to mist the surface. For example, I do three sprays to mist 1/2 of the hood; 1 sweeping spray stroke to mist the left front quarter panel, for example. Then I'll dry the area with the towel. You may find that the panel may still look a little wet. That's because of the product mixed in with the water. It will quickly dissipate without causing watermarks. Then just buff the area with a clean microfiber wax removal towel. As a test, lean your hand on the newly dryed surface and it'll slide right off.

Hope this helps.
      07-21-2008, 08:22 PM   #10
J-Sud
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry_Legend View Post
Anyone use both the Meg's Quick Detailer and Griot's Speed Shine and can give me a pro/con preference?
I have used Megs QD, Megs Ultimate QD, Mother's QD, Chemical Guys Speedwipe, Griots Speed Shine, Chemical Guys Synthetic Quick Detail, OPT QDG, and Clear Kote Quick Shine.

My personal favorite is The Clear Kote Quick Shine, comes off easier gives better gloss etc. I just like it the most.
      07-22-2008, 06:41 AM   #11
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Quote:
I was in the shade, but since it was so hot, I did the best I could with it. I mean, this is after a rinse with cold water, so it can't be unreasonably hot. I plan to wash the car during the twilight hours after its been in the garage all day next time around to avoid the heat issue.
You can take back the slam now. Issue was operator error as I suspected. Personnally I don't use spray on wax. I'd rather do it the right way (wash-clay-polish-wax) as needed. I use Griots products exclusively. Fantastic stuff (when used correctly).
      07-22-2008, 08:16 PM   #12
Esmallstii
Systematic Chaos
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

CRAP,My delivery of Spray on wax from Groits just showed up, and now Im hearing bad stuff about it?
I decided to try the spray wax to keep up the gloss between my major wax applications. (Yes,..I do apply the real stuff regularly!)
Groits says the spray wax is good to extend the hand applied layer of wax.
Got a gallon of Speed Shine too though,...Great Stuff!!!
Also got the Speed shine wipes,...Theyre good for cleaning around the door jambs instead of trying to spray stuff in those tight places, and mucking up your microfibers.
BSM/Coral red/Sp pkg/Cft access/Htd seats/BMW Performance Pedals, Spoiler, & Rotors/18" VMR V710's/Hankook Ventus/Cool Carbon Pads ."The 135i's engine sound is so ferocious and bittersweet, so carnal and wicked, somebody ought to name a heavy-metal band after it: Velvet Chain Saw."
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2008, 08:46 AM   #13
Larry_Legend
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I'm happy with the Slam still out there. We will see what happens after the next wash.

Do Spray On Wax users apply the wax immediately after a rinse? I thought that there would be too much water on the hood for this to be effective? I've toyed with the idea of drying the hood and then misting more water onto the area before applying the spray on wax. Any thoughts?

Any tips on applying the wax to the front bumper?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2008, 12:06 PM   #14
B25 Jim
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
I'm happy with the Slam still out there. We will see what happens after the next wash.

Do Spray On Wax users apply the wax immediately after a rinse? I thought that there would be too much water on the hood for this to be effective? I've toyed with the idea of drying the hood and then misting more water onto the area before applying the spray on wax. Any thoughts?

Any tips on applying the wax to the front bumper?
I apply after using the chamois to get the majority of the water off... unless it is really warm out, then I just apply right after the rinse. I don't know what you'd be gaining by drying and misting, but it never hurts to try.

Same as the hood/top of the car for the front bumper.. I wash the bumber and apply the spray on wax in three sections. Basically at the lower skirt lines, where it splits from the center cooler intake to the brake coolers. Be sure to have the sprayer on a misting setting (as suggested by wa128). You want the wax to cover all the surfaces you are working on with a mist... this will make sure it is even, and prevents streaks.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2008, 03:25 PM   #15
G5Ti
Purveyor of fine roads.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 128i

Griot's Spray-Wax works best when your car is cool and wet and already detailed. (I.e., do a proper hand/machine wax at least a week prior.)

Wash your car and immediately pull it in to your garage (if you have one). Spray the spray-on wax to one panel at a time and dry it with a suitable cloth (a large, soft 100% cotton bath sheet will work, but I prefer Griot's waffle-weave microfiber drying cloth). Don't worry if it's completely dry. Spray one additional panel and dry. Then take another available small cloth and quickly buff/dry any remaining wet spots.

After doing this for the whole car, lightly wipe down with one additional small, dry cloth.

It takes no time to do this, and you don't have to worry if your sprays are completely even over the surface of the paint. You can also use less product if you do this on a somewhat regular basis.