BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-23-2008, 02:29 PM   #1
imported_Dan
Rep
Drives:

Mosport

Just got back from the two day GVC-BMWCCA Mosport event.
My 135i was great. The only changes that I made for the track were wheels (Double Spoke 125's) (18x8 in front and 18x8.5 rear) and tires (Toyo Proxes R888) (225/40/18 front and 245/40/18 rear). Pressures were set at 30lbs. Tire wear appeared even and consistant across the tread. The car as expected felt a little heavy in the tighter turns but seemed to have plenty of power to pull the long uphill back straight. Temps stayed around 250 for all runs. There were four 20-25 minute sessions Monday and the same on Tuesday. There appeared to be no oil or coolant consumption. The weather was overcast most of the time with periods of rain and sun. The tempature was in the mid 70's. I had a very enjoyable time with the 135. It had alot of participants looking at it and asking questions. Since there is no timing and limited passing (not to mention quite a differene in skills) its hard to compare performance, but I was able to pull away from some of the cars on the straight and keep up with most of them.
I encourage everyone to take there 135 to a BMW Driving School.
:roundel:
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2008, 03:08 PM   #2
BerkTechnology
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Fast

Congrats on getting the 1er out there. With as few 1er's that have actually been sold so far, I'm pleased to see that many of us are tracking already!

Was you power steering resivor overflowing a bit? We always seem to get just a bit of splatter in the engine bay.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2008, 03:13 PM   #3
jrc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Copngrats. Mosport is a great and historic track. Maybe we should start a thread listing the tracks we've run a 1 at. I'll be adding Sebring this fall.
      07-24-2008, 07:38 AM   #4
imported_Dan
Rep
Drives:

break fluid

checked under the hood after every session. Had to leave it open anyway to keep things cool. Never saw any fluid leaks or splatter. Only "tight" turn(s) at Mosprt are 5a and 5b, which if taken correctly are a slow double apex on to the long uphill back straight. Doing a school at Watkins Glen the end of August. I will post comments again.
:wink:
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2008, 05:24 PM   #5
evan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 Alpine White 135i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Just got back from the two day GVC-BMWCCA Mosport event.
Hey, Dan, I was there too with my completely stock AW 135i. Offered to take you for a ride, but couldn't find you when instructor track time came up.

Those two days were the 11th and 12th track days I've had on the car. They finished up my front tires (the stock RE050A runflats - down to the wear bars in the middle, and completely bald on the outside edges). The rears are still in fine shape, so I guess I'll be getting another set of the runflats for the front. I've also got a pair of Vorshlag camber plates on the way, to help mitigate the outside front tire wear and the understeer (I hope!).

Other than the front tires, everything is holding up fabulously. No fluid loss, no leakage, no unusually high temps. The stock front brake pads are wearing out faster than the rears, but they've still got a few track days left on them.

I'll be back at Mosport (with some negative camber and fresh front tires) Sept 6 and 7, when the Trillium Chapter (southern Ontario) of the BMW Club of Canada is having their next school.

Oh, and jrc, those 12 days were divided between:
- Dunnville (tight, flat, technical circuit south of Toronto),
- Mont Tremblant (same designer as Mosport, north of Montreal),
- Calabogie (fantastic new circuit, 21 turns!, near Ottawa) and, of course,
- Mosport (where I first learned advanced driving techniques many years ago)
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 10:23 AM   #6
burlington-track
Canada
Rep
Drives: 135i

Calabogie

This will be my 4th and 5th track tomorrow at Calabogie.

I have Vorshlag camber plates just installed.I have not run this set-up yet.
How did the car handle Calabogie and any helpful pointers or problems driving this track.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 10:55 AM   #7
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerkTechnology View Post
Was you power steering resivor overflowing a bit? We always seem to get just a bit of splatter in the engine bay.
I always do have PS spray at autocross events. I know that hole is on the cap as a breather, but I'm thinking that a piece of tape can't harm things for a session.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 06:03 PM   #8
Qube
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E39 540 :: 09 STi

Wooo. We need to hook up. I'd love to see a 1er at a BMWCCA event

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan View Post
Hey, Dan, I was there too with my completely stock AW 135i. Offered to take you for a ride, but couldn't find you when instructor track time came up.

Those two days were the 11th and 12th track days I've had on the car. They finished up my front tires (the stock RE050A runflats - down to the wear bars in the middle, and completely bald on the outside edges). The rears are still in fine shape, so I guess I'll be getting another set of the runflats for the front. I've also got a pair of Vorshlag camber plates on the way, to help mitigate the outside front tire wear and the understeer (I hope!).

Other than the front tires, everything is holding up fabulously. No fluid loss, no leakage, no unusually high temps. The stock front brake pads are wearing out faster than the rears, but they've still got a few track days left on them.

I'll be back at Mosport (with some negative camber and fresh front tires) Sept 6 and 7, when the Trillium Chapter (southern Ontario) of the BMW Club of Canada is having their next school.

Oh, and jrc, those 12 days were divided between:
- Dunnville (tight, flat, technical circuit south of Toronto),
- Mont Tremblant (same designer as Mosport, north of Montreal),
- Calabogie (fantastic new circuit, 21 turns!, near Ottawa) and, of course,
- Mosport (where I first learned advanced driving techniques many years ago)
      08-08-2008, 01:14 AM   #9
evan
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by burlington-track View Post
How did the car handle Calabogie and any helpful pointers or problems driving this track.
Calabogie is one of the great tracks (don't make me choose between Mosport, Mt Tremblant and Calabogie), but it's got so many turns (official count is 21) it takes a while to learn.

A lot of trailbraking is needed with the 1 (maybe your camber plates will help), but, man, is it nice to lay the power down (three straights and a whole lot of other full-throttle sections) and then lean on the big brakes. It's got really grippy pavement, so it's hard on tires, brakes and gas, and is buckets of fun.

Speaking of buckets, if it rains (forecast doesn't look good), there's no real separate wet line, just drive the dry line but avoid any puddles and streams you see.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 01:28 AM   #10
evan
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qube View Post
Wooo. We need to hook up. I'd love to see a 1er at a BMWCCA event
The first Mosport school we had this year (April), there was one 135i. I went out the very next day and bought one. The next one (June), there were 3 of us. We'll all be back in September, and I'll bet a few more.

You don't have to take part in the event to come out and have a looksee. Come to Mosport on Sept 6 or 7, enter gate 3 (no fee, just sign a waiver), drive through the tunnel, park and stay for a while. If you find me (name is, surprise, Evan) just before instructor track time and I don't have a student to take out for a ride, I'll show you what a 1er can do.

Better yet, there is still plenty of time to register at trillium-bmwclub.ca!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 07:08 AM   #11
burlington-track
Canada
Rep
Drives: 135i

Calabogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan View Post
Calabogie is one of the great tracks (don't make me choose between Mosport, Mt Tremblant and Calabogie), but it's got so many turns (official count is 21) it takes a while to learn.

A lot of trailbraking is needed with the 1 (maybe your camber plates will help), but, man, is it nice to lay the power down (three straights and a whole lot of other full-throttle sections) and then lean on the big brakes. It's got really grippy pavement, so it's hard on tires, brakes and gas, and is buckets of fun.

Speaking of buckets, if it rains (forecast doesn't look good), there's no real separate wet line, just drive the dry line but avoid any puddles and streams you see.
Thanks for the help.
I`m just going there this morning.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2008, 10:34 PM   #12
evan
Enlisted Member
Rep

The BMW Club of Canada is putting on an advanced driving school this weekend (Sept 6/7 2008) at Mosport (north of Bowmanville, east of Toronto). While it is too late to register, if you are in the Toronto region and you've ever thought about attending an advanced driving school, you should drop by just to check it out, talk to people and get a feel for what it is all about.

401 exit 431, head north on #57 about 25km then east on #20 a few km to the turnoff for Mosport. Use entrance 3 - you'll have to sign a waiver, but there is no charge for spectating.

There will definitely be a bunch of 1-ers there.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 06:36 PM   #13
imported_Dan
Rep
Drives:

Evan;
Looked at the track information for Calabogie and it looks great. Some of the GVC-BMWCCA members are talking about making the treck next year. Do you know when the schedule for 2009 will be out? July looks like the best bet at this point.
Dan
SGM 135
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 05:15 PM   #14
evan
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Evan;
Looked at the track information for Calabogie and it looks great. Some of the GVC-BMWCCA members are talking about making the treck next year. Do you know when the schedule for 2009 will be out? July looks like the best bet at this point.
Dan
SGM 135
Dan - usually I don't think the schedules don't get firmed up until Jan/Feb. But most tracks usually try to give clubs the same general weekends they had the previous year. Two BMW clubs were at Calabogie in summer 2008 for weekend schools, the BMW CC Ottawa club http://bmwccottawa.org/ in mid-July and the BMW CCA Patroon (Albany, NY) chapter http://www.patroonbmw.org/ at the end of August.

Check their websites throughout the long bleak winter!
Appreciate 0