BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-19-2008, 09:56 PM   #1
CBLW
Private
Rep
Drives:

Question Scratch X, I hate Thee!

So, after reading a bunch of positive posts about Scratch X, I decided to try and make a go of it pretty hardcore this afternoon on a couple of very light door scratches on my 135i.

Bad. Bad. Bad.

While the scratches are definitely less noticeable now then they were when I started, applying strong pressure using a microfiber resulted in a LOT of light surface swirling and additional scratches. I’m really bummed. I probably wouldn’t care if this wasn’t a BRAND new car, but being that it is, and that it’s black, I’m going to just suck it up and take it in to be professionally buffed. I doubt that anythingg less than perfect again is going to make me happy, and I really doubt that any other over the counter product is going to be able to repair even this minor scratching.

I have a really good detailer (body shop guy I’ve been going to for years for less important cars), but since I’ve never really owned a very nice car before, it’s never occurred to me to worry about clear coat stripping. Given that this scratching is all very light, will he be able to buff it all out like he always does, and will my brand new clear coat be safe, or does the clear coat need to be reapplied after he's done? Should I be concerned? I trust this guy.

Any advice is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2008, 10:56 PM   #2
Justin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

If you have a black car, get a random orbital and some polish. You'll be golden in no time. My car looked like crap from the dealer, but a bit of elbow grease and hours with the buffer and it's all good. I understand if you're hesitant to buff it yourself... make sure it's a random orbital like the porter cable (I have one by Meguiars)... otherwise suck it up and pay the detailer. Be prepared to take it back for a good detailing every year if you don't want to do it yourself. I can put micro-scratches in my jet black just by pressing my finger onto the paint.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2008, 11:01 PM   #3
JohnL135I
Donkey Kong King
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Boss 302

If its a minor surface scratch, it will buff out with out any issues.

Basicly when your buffing the paint, depending on how aggressive your polish is, your removing a very small amount of clear coat. Your body shop guy will not have to re apply the clear. You shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Depending on the quality of the microfiber towels you used, they can scratch the paint. Scratch X is made with microabbrasives that arn't suppose to create more swirls, best to use a foam applicator when using it.
      08-20-2008, 08:20 AM   #4
CBLW
Private
Rep
Drives:

OK, you guys are definitely making me feel better. Thanks very much for your help. The overall area of scratches is now about a foot and a half long, I guess. Keep in mind, these aren't REAL scratches I'm talking about, just very light, superficial swirling from where I allowed the Scratch X to be rubbed in (I used too much so I was basically spreading it around the whole area, thinking it couldn't hurt! whoops!) So given that information, am I still clear coat safe with the professional buffer? Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2008, 09:31 AM   #5
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBLW View Post
OK, you guys are definitely making me feel better. Thanks very much for your help. The overall area of scratches is now about a foot and a half long, I guess. Keep in mind, these aren't REAL scratches I'm talking about, just very light, superficial swirling from where I allowed the Scratch X to be rubbed in (I used too much so I was basically spreading it around the whole area, thinking it couldn't hurt! whoops!) So given that information, am I still clear coat safe with the professional buffer? Thanks again.
The answer is to ZAINO your car. I would clay bar the affected area, then hit it with a couple of Z5 treatments, then Z2 followed by CS. You won't need a detailer, and you wn't need an orbital. Just the microfiber applicators that come in the ZAINO kit. $100 and a Sunday morning and you will be done. Plus your car will be protected from tar, bird crap, tree sap and further swirls.

What is it like washing a ZAINO'd car? Like washing a brand new teflon frying pan.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2008, 09:46 AM   #6
Sherifftruman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Plus, with Scratch-X, you have to go over the same area until it is gone. The abrasives break down smaller and smaller and that will get rid of most of the marks you talk about. Like a Detailing Pro once wrote, if your fingers hands and arms are not in pain, you are not doing it right.

Then you can hit it with a cleaner wax to get rid of the finest swirls.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2008, 10:01 AM   #7
CBLW
Private
Rep
Drives:

I think at this point, I'm just going to allow the pro to take care of it (assuming that's a clear coat safe option). Not that all of the finger pain and suffering doesn't sound like fun... ;-)
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2008, 12:53 PM   #8
vanbmw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black 335i

I say for the price of going to the professional just put that money into a good polisher and learn to do it yourself. You have a black car so you need to learn to keep it looking good for the long haul! TRy the Griot's website and get their package with polish/polisher and the video or go for the Zaino and a polisher. Both are good options and that will be money well spent in the long run.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2008, 01:37 PM   #9
rastafied
Rep
Drives:

have you tried polishing it? ive removed many scratches with just a simple, cheap polish. plus it is very easy to use!

greetz
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2008, 01:59 PM   #10
CBLW
Private
Rep
Drives:

I think it's possible that I'm not quite explaining the situation properly. Even with these irritating surface scratches, if the car were ANYTHING but brand spanking new, neither I, nor I'm sure any of you guys, would look at it and think that there was absolutely anything at all worth worrying about. The only reason these scratches stick out is because the car is still in PERFECT condition, so i can see even the most MINOR of flaws. That's why I don't want to polish, or use other products -- because what I'm saying is, the car is technically perfect as is, it's only an anal retentive first month owner (like myself) who would be reacting this way.

Anyway, THAT'S why I think I should get it professionally buffed.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2008, 08:40 AM   #11
CBLW
Private
Rep
Drives:

FYI for anyone interested... last night, after reading through some more posts over in the Megs forums, I decided to have another go at the affected area with a terry cloth (as recommended for stronger jobs).

The terry cloth made things much, much worse. I don't know what to say, maybe it's my color (black metallic), maybe it's just me, but this stuff is quickly destroying my car and I'm pissed.

I'm applying a LOT of pressure, and getting a bunch of little scratches with each pass I make. I'm rubbing up and down, quickly, and I'm doing it for about a minute to two minutes after I've rubbed the stuff in (so maybe three to four minutes for each pass total).

Again, keep in mind, the car looks FINE to the naked eye. But when I'm working with the stuff, I can clearly see the scratches being made... ugh... so irritating. So unless Megs is suggesting that I LITERALLY use so much elbow grease that I act as if I'm trying to make a hole in the car, I see no possible way that I've been doing this wrong.

Professional detailer time I guess...

-Sigh-
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2008, 10:02 AM   #12
Sherifftruman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

The idea is that once you use the scratch-x, you then got to a cleaner type wax like Meguiars NXT or something from Griots or Zymol to remove the very light stuff left from the scratch-x. ALso, use only microfiber cloths, not standard cotton terry.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2008, 10:49 AM   #13
CBLW
Private
Rep
Drives:

...Understood. But a wax does nothing more than hide the remaining inperfections. If it comes to that, than yes, maybe I'll just wax the car and call it a day. I am irritated, however, that product claiming to REMOVE scratches actually does nothing more than leave me in a situation where I'm supposed to apply wax to hide the damage that it's done as a result of using it. lol Something seems wrong here.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2008, 01:37 PM   #14
Sherifftruman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Actually, cleaner waxes like I mentioned above have very very fine abrasives and will take the tiny hazing right out. Just go buy some NXT and try a little bit on that area and see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2008, 02:26 PM   #15
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 08

CBLW,
I think you should go to a pro... but find one that will show you what needs to be done so you won't have to go back again. Maybe you can share what you learned after the pro looks at it. And possibly where you went wrong. That way, I won't have the same problem. When ever I get good info, I always give a big THANK YOU and let them know how much I appreciate the help.

I posted about removing scuffs... It's a good read about Magic Eraser and what it actually does.

I too mucked up a car many years ago. If you are unsure, you are totally correct to get help. The other option is to wait and maybe meet up with other 1addicts in your area who have more experience. Sometimes just RTFM is not enough, and changing products won't help either.

Don't give up... We all need to know how to DIY detail or you will end up getting ripped over and over.

EspressoBoy

PS
Good luck
Appreciate 0