BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-26-2008, 06:11 PM   #1
mattm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives:

Co-drive at NYBMWCCA Event @ Nassau Coliseum?

I am not so sure I am getting anymore autocross seat time in a 135i before the SCCA Nationals. Is there a generous soul going to the NYBMWCCA event on each of the next two Saturdays (8/30, 9/6) down at Nassau Coliseum in Long Island in their 135i. I'll supply the tires. :wink:

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes. I will surely learn a great deal today.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 06:05 PM   #2
mattm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives:

I am still looking for a ride tomorrow. Please help!

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes. I will surely learn a great deal today.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2008, 07:06 PM   #3
mattm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives:

So I couldn't quite find a 135 today. Anybody for next Saturday?

Appreciate 0
      08-30-2008, 10:13 PM   #4
Dave Mac
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Matt-

Go to the Philly SCCA forums and see if you can get in touch with Steve Snow. It's worth a try anyway and it's not too far from CT.

Dave Mac
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2008, 05:33 PM   #5
mattm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mac View Post
Matt-

Go to the Philly SCCA forums and see if you can get in touch with Steve Snow. It's worth a try anyway and it's not too far from CT.

Dave Mac
Thanks, Dave. I went to the Philly event Sunday (8/31/08) at Warminster. I drove for "non competition" runs. The co-drive was in a 135i with the automatic trans. I would not recommend it for autocrossing at the top levels. Seems it wanted (and did) shift to third as I red-lined in second. Kind of bogged the thing. I finally got myself dialed in for anticipating the shifting. Not ideal, but it was important seat time none the less.

I don't know that I would do the drive again. Even doing sneaky back roads to avoid the NJTP, it was a long ride. And then there was the GWB and its Sunday night back ups.

Appreciate 0
      09-01-2008, 06:14 PM   #6
Dave Mac
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattm View Post
Thanks, Dave. I went to the Philly event Sunday (8/31/08) at Warminster. I drove for "non competition" runs. The co-drive was in a 135i with the automatic trans. I would not recommend it for autocrossing at the top levels. Seems it wanted (and did) shift to third as I red-lined in second. Kind of bogged the thing. I finally got myself dialed in for anticipating the shifting. Not ideal, but it was important seat time none the less.

I don't know that I would do the drive again. Even doing sneaky back roads to avoid the NJTP, it was a long ride. And then there was the GWB and its Sunday night back ups.
Bah...worst traffic evar. I'd rather drive in LA or DC over NJ--> GWB.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2008, 06:22 PM   #7
mattm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mac View Post
Bah...worst traffic evar. I'd rather drive in LA or DC over NJ--> GWB.
One sneaky trick, take the eastern spur of the Turnpike (I think exit 16 with alphabets). One of the signs says for Rte 46 (there is no mention of the "eastern spur," also for the Lincoln Tunnel. Head north until it re-aims you for the remerge with the western spur, then hang a right (exit) onto route 46. It dumps you right before the toll at the bridge.

Now getting across the bridge is another story. That plan just gets you there quickly.

Did I mention accidents on the NY Thruway near Rye and the one lane closed either direction on the Merritt Parkway?

Once over the bridge, I jumped on the Major Deegan north to the Cross County, to I-287, which brought me back to I-95 in Greenwich. It made the offsets at Warminster look easy. :smile:

Appreciate 0
      09-01-2008, 07:56 PM   #8
Johnnyr135
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Did you try the paddle shifters they shift so fast, I would think they would be great the auto cross you never have to take your hand off the wheel. Can you drive a car if it has a DINAN tune or would you be in another class? And with 19" Tires
      09-01-2008, 08:35 PM   #9
mattm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyr View Post
Did you try the paddle shifters they shift so fast, I would think they would be great the auto cross you never have to take your hand off the wheel. Can you drive a car if it has a DINAN tune or would you be in another class? And with 19" Tires
John, unfortunately, the Dinan stuff and/or the 19" wheels put the car in another class. By SCCA classing for D Stock, I can change the shocks/struts, front swaybar (not the rear), wheels must stay to the original size (plus or minus 1/4" offset, to allow for manufacturing differences), and tires.

As to the paddle shifters, they become moving targets when you are turning the wheel back and forth in an autocross. The real problem is when you punch the button for a down shift, it doesn't shift immediately (was it waiting for the rpms to match better or holding in second cause thats what the speeds say it should do?). There was an end of runway pivot style turn that I tried to use the down shift via the paddles. Every time I was in second, left foot braked [LFB] and as I carved the turn, I pushed the button hoping that it would A) grab to help slow me down and rotate the car, and B) stay in first, so I could power out after passing the apex (slightly earlier due to pylon positions). Each time the trans just sort of coasted. I would then applied the gas (okay, I pounded the pedal to the floor) out of the turn and waited for first gear to kick in and send the car along. I felt like I could play cards while waiting for everything to hook up.

Disclaimers, the car had my Hoosier Racing Tires on it. We did shut down the DTC/DSC LSMFT (okay, that's a joke). I did launch the car from the lights in "M2." At the launch/start it stayed in first and shifted naturally to second. I did find LFB helped balance the car as I tried less to interfere with what the transmission was doing. In the slaloms, LFB helped a lot to get the car to toss through each element.

Appreciate 0
      09-01-2008, 08:39 PM   #10
mattm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives:

So, um, John, ya going to Nassau this Saturday?

Johnnyr vbmenu_register("postmenu_233355", true);
Drives: 08 BMW 135i

A set of Hoosiers *might* look nice on the car. :smile:

Appreciate 0
      09-01-2008, 09:17 PM   #11
Johnnyr135
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

I have never been to an autocross I thought it might me fun to see the car run, but the DINAN tune cannot come out.
      09-01-2008, 09:31 PM   #12
mattm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyr View Post
I have never been to an autocross I thought it might me fun to see the car run, but the DINAN tune cannot come out.
No, we'd leave everything as is. Just the wheels and tires if that is okay.

What tires do have on it now?

I suppose this should go off-line, too.

But if anyone has a bone stock 135i with a manual transmission, you really should go to Nassau this Saturday. :smile:

Appreciate 0
      09-04-2008, 07:37 PM   #13
mattm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives:

Cancelled: Autocross on September 6th at Nassau Coliseum

No need for me to find a ride anymore.

Hi Everyone,

Our Autocross on September 6th at Nassau Coliseum has been Cancelled!!!!

The date has been changed to September 20th. Please adjust your calendars.

Thank You.

GJ

-------------------------------------
BMW CCA, NY Chapter Inc Discussion Board
Handy Link
Board Address:
http://nybmwcca.org/forums/index.php

Appreciate 0