BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-05-2008, 10:04 AM   #1
SCZ4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F11 525d M Sport & Z4M

Urgent Advice on Retro Fitting USB & Cruise

I am looking at a Sept 07 123D 3 Door (from a dealership down south)/ It has quite a few goodies and more importantly is £10k under the retail price with just a couple of thousand miles on the clock.

The only things it doesn’t have that I’d like are:
1-USB
2-Cruise
3-Hi-Fi

Dealer has quoted £525 fitted for the USB retro-fit (apparently it needs more wiring as it only has the basic head unit). Does that sound right?

What’s the price for cruise control retro fit?

Also, I know when I was looking at an E91 3 series found out BMW actually now supply a kit to upgrade the standard sound system (which is bound to be terrible) to include and amp and few extra tweeters. Is there an equivilant kit available for the 1 series?

Said I’d call the chap back in the morning so would appreciate your advice.

G
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2008, 11:05 AM   #2
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
I've had quotes from £649 main dealer to £550 indy for cruise.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2008, 11:21 AM   #3
changed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 Msport

isnt usb standard? i thought only the ipod control was extra, and that a few hundred quid anyway.

as far as the hifi goes, you'll get a better and cheaper aftermarket kit for much less than main dealer stuff, however you may want to stick with the standard head units for ease of functions and to keep the dash looking normal.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2008, 12:34 PM   #4
SCZ4
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Decided I am not going to bother about cruise control, only use it once a month or so.

The car as standard has an ipod input but it's not USB and doesn't have the controls. Not sure it has the professional stereo though

I found out the Alpine kit also fits the 1 series, cheap upgrade to start with

G
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 05:57 AM   #5
jonnyuk06
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330d SE

the alpine upgrade sounds brill...there are a few guys on another forum who have and swear by it. it costs about £200 and they have fitted it them selves.

like your self i'm looking to fit cruise...what you can do though is buy the steering wheel switch unit and fit that your self, all you need to do is get bmw to re-code the car. you can get teh switch unit from a brakers yard, just remember to a unit with the cruise control stalk. the 3 series switch unit is the same as the 1 series so you should not be pushed to find 1.

if you don't have the pro head unit you will need it for the apline kit, again buy this off ebay and do it your self, dead easy to swap it out etc.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 11:14 AM   #6
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by changed View Post
isnt usb standard? i thought only the ipod control was extra, and that a few hundred quid anyway.

as far as the hifi goes, you'll get a better and cheaper aftermarket kit for much less than main dealer stuff, however you may want to stick with the standard head units for ease of functions and to keep the dash looking normal.
Phono connection is standard, USB is a £210 option.

Also remember that you also will need to have:

- Professional Stereo (required for the USB option)
- USB cable (£39)

Gone: 2019 X3M Competition, Toronto Red, Adelaide Grey.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2008, 10:02 AM   #7
SCZ4
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Hi guys,

As above, ended up going for the ipod kit. I am picking up the 123d on Sat morning (can't wait). Dealer just called to confirm it's working through the steering wheels controls and displays the artist, songs etc.

What suprised me though was the connection is in the glovebox. Should that concern me or is that normal for retro-fits? Personally I prefer it as I don't need to remove the ipod when parking the car somewhere.

I am not sure if they did it this way to avoid fitting the professional stereo? If so any sound quality differences between the Business and Professional head units. I'll do the Alpine speaker and amp upgrade next year.

G
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2008, 01:14 PM   #8
changed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 Msport

standard factory gives you a pouch in the arm rest, but glove box is fine, if not better
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2008, 04:52 AM   #9
jonnyuk06
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330d SE

is the dealer doing your cruise control as well? if so what kinda price is he offering
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2008, 07:49 AM   #10
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCZ4 View Post
Hi guys,

As above, ended up going for the ipod kit. I am picking up the 123d on Sat morning (can't wait). Dealer just called to confirm it's working through the steering wheels controls and displays the artist, songs etc.

What suprised me though was the connection is in the glovebox. Should that concern me or is that normal for retro-fits? Personally I prefer it as I don't need to remove the ipod when parking the car somewhere.

I am not sure if they did it this way to avoid fitting the professional stereo? If so any sound quality differences between the Business and Professional head units. I'll do the Alpine speaker and amp upgrade next year.

G
The Glove box Ipod upgrade is not the same as the factory installed Ipod option, There are a few things it apparantly won't do, however I don't have either so I can't tell you what. I simply play mp3 through the aux input, and it works fine.
Appreciate 0