BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-13-2008, 10:25 PM   #1
j8smith
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 128i coupe

128i shifter install without jack/lift

I recently installed the bmw performance short shifter in my 128i and found a little trick to make it easier. The kit for the 128i is much simpler then the 135i, and the only reason to jack up the car is to remove the retaining clip on the bottom of the shift lever.

First off, I followed the install instructions in the following link:

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257

The only difference was I was able to remove and replace the retaining clip from above, rather then jacking the car up and doing it from below.

to do this, you will need:
a pair of bent needle nose pliers,
a flashlight,
a coat hanger,
flexible magnetic retriever (in case you drop the clip).

Start by putting the transmission in reverse. By doing this you will be able to see the retaining clip from above(lower right in the pic). use the pliers or your finger(if they are small) to rotate the clip so that the 'U' is facing down and forward. Then grab the clip with the pliers and pull up removing the clip. Next put the tranny in neutral and use the plies or a screw driver to pry the shift linkage to the left, off of the bottom of the shift lever. Now remove and replace the shift lever as per the above link.I then made a small hook with the coat hanger to reach down and lift up the linkage to put it back in the new shift lever. Finally, put the tranny in reverse again, and install the clip on the new shifter in the same way with the bent needle nose pliers.

Warning!! Have a jack and jack stands handy just in case you have troubles doing this from above, as it is fairly tight.

jay
Attached Images