Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Performance tires and snow...Questions

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

07-13-2005, 05:09 PM   #1
Mikie
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i - All the packages -

Performance tires and snow...Questions

Anyone have the performance tires and drive in snow? I am not talking OMG storm of 2005 snow, but I do ski and sometimes the roads are not cleared.

I will change to all season if they are that bad, but living in Italy I would rather have the performance for the 9 months out of the year.

I have heard everything from they are the best in rain, but zero traction in snow, to great in rain, and ok in snow, but I would rather hear it from someone that has actually done it, versus one that is guessing.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2005, 05:20 PM   #2
CC 330i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330i SG/Blk/Alum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikie
Anyone have the performance tires and drive in snow? I am not talking OMG storm of 2005 snow, but I do ski and sometimes the roads are not cleared.

I will change to all season if they are that bad, but living in Italy I would rather have the performance for the 9 months out of the year.

I have heard everything from they are the best in rain, but zero traction in snow, to great in rain, and ok in snow, but I would rather hear it from someone that has actually done it, versus one that is guessing.

Mike
I lived in Mammoth (a very snowy mountain town in California) for 5 years and let me tell you that winter tires make a BIG difference in any kind of snow or ice.

I haven't driven my BMW in the snow yet (only came out in May) but my last car was a Jetta. I had a lot of experience driving it and a GTI in Mammoth on different tires, and it was like night and day in the snow with snow tires. I would highly advise against going into the snow with the sport tires, and would advise caution with the "all-weather" tires. (of course I would advise caution with snow tires too, but to a lesser degree).

I had been away for 6 years when I last went to Mammoth in my Jetta with Summer tires on, and it snowed, and I was really in a bad way. I could barely stop several times, and without ABS, I would have crashed twice. I had been used to my Jetta and GTI with snow tires previously, and never had that kind of problems with winter or all-weather tires. I was really really scared. I made it around, but it was dicey to say the least. If you could fit cable chains without damaging the car, I would carry them at least.

If I were going to take my BMW up to Mammoth any time between October and June, I would either carry chains, or get snow or all-weather tires. I am not sure chains would fit (cable chains maybe), however.

Keep in mind that I drove on snowy roads for probably 100 days a year for 5 years, so I have a good deal of experience with this. (although the snow melts off pretty quickly up there).
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2005, 05:35 PM   #3
res_ipsa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325i SparkGraphite

Listen to CC330 he knows what he's talkin bout
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2005, 06:33 PM   #4
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by res_ipsa
Listen to CC330 he knows what he's talkin bout
Definitely!

Also, do a search about snow/winter driving here on E90post.com. There have been a TON of posts on this very topic.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2005, 07:31 PM   #5
ex-poster
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2000 328, 2006 330

Snow and performance tires just don't mix. While I could have put snow tires on my 2000 328, I decided to just get a used truck instead. Born and raised up here in the North, thought I could manage it, nope. Traction control and ABS pulsing all the time. Totally white-knuckle driving and very close to several accidents.

When my original performance tires needed replacing, I replaced them with aggressive all-season, lost some handling but snow & ice performance was OK (certainly not great).
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2005, 09:34 AM   #6
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

BMW accessories include what looks like REAL chains, not cables. About $325, I think. Circle sells them for about $290. I figure if they are an option from the dealer, there must be just enough clearance for them, IF you put them on correctly. But the listed ones were for 16 and 17 wheels. Not sure if my fenders are worth trying to fit a set from K-Mart or not.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2005, 09:59 AM   #7
scottz5
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 13 F10 535xi & 11.75 E93 M3

If it snows i just drive careful or leave it at home.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2005, 03:43 PM   #8
Mikie
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i - All the packages -

In Italy they do a great job clearing the snow. I have only been caught in a snow storm once, and that is why I ask.

If the tires are ok, and I have done a fair share of snow driving in Wisc/Minn, I do not want to give up the performance for the 9-10 months of great driving for a month or two of possible snow.

I have looked at the chains and that is on the short list, but I think I will end up with a "summer" set of rims and then keep the standar rims for winter with a set of all season tires and switch them back out in Feb.

Thanks for the input, I thought these might be the answers, but to hear them from owners makes a difference
Appreciate 0