BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-06-2009, 06:32 PM   #1
Iman
Rep
Drives:

Zip tie golf tee mod?..debadge/spoiler..

I went by Home Depot today to pick up some Goof Off and some monofilament. Bought a small can of goof off with a swing out nozzle and found monofilament of sort in the from of an "invisible hanging wire".

I also bought the smallest hose clamp they had. I bent it so it would close smaller and used it on my exhaust vacuum hose to execute the golf tee mod. This seems the easiest method which is easily removable but I think a zip tie pulled tight would be the absolute easiest and cleanest method for this mod. Shouldn't that work? I didn't try it figuring the hose clamp is slightly easier to remove.

Next I squirted a thin line of goof off under my badge and my spoiler lip. After waiting a short time to let the adhesive weaken, I pulled between accessory and adhesive and got everything off in no time...well all except the left over adhesive. Then I used finger power and a little citrus based goo gone type remover to get the adhesive off, by far the hardest thing I did all day. Goof off didn't seem to work as well here and is probably a little too strong so beware. Btw, if anyone wants my black metallic lip they are welcome to it.

I think regular fishing line monofilament might work better since it's thinner and might cut through easier. My line binded a little and cut into my hands also. In a few areas it slightly scuffed the clearcoat. Next time with the fishing line I'd use gloves and try to make a smooth, continuous pass under the spoiler. This will take a good bit of hand strength.

I quickly hand buffed with a cleaner wax. It was getting dark, I'm sure I'll have to clean it up better later.

I has some rust on the inside hub area of my rear wheels, either from sitting on the ship on in the dealer lot. I got this off with some chrome polish and a stay brite pad.

Now I need to decide if I like the exhaust mod and do I want an aftermarket spoiler? Probably so on both. But if I get a carbon fiber spoiler I'll probably have to get a carbon fiber rear diffuser, but I might want to wait on that until I decide if I want quad exhaust tips.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2009, 04:35 PM   #2
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
Quick tip on badge removal: Heat it up with a hair dryer for about 30 seconds before pulling it off. It softens the tape beneath and makes it a lot easier to remove.

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2009, 08:09 PM   #3
mynew135
assistant to the regional manager
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackjackMulligan View Post
Quick tip on badge removal: Heat it up with a hair dryer for about 30 seconds before pulling it off. It softens the tape beneath and makes it a lot easier to remove.
+1. Came off easily with dental floss and hair dryer.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2009, 08:33 PM   #4
Iman
Rep
Drives:

Dangit, and I had read that somewhere too I think..lol. I bet heated adhesive might come off the car better too, that was by far the toughest part for me.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2009, 10:30 PM   #5
ad78
Yr1OfD1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F34 M Sport

WD-40 pen wait for 30mins or so then start removing by using dental floss...
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2009, 08:05 AM   #6
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iman View Post
Dangit, and I had read that somewhere too I think..lol. I bet heated adhesive might come off the car better too, that was by far the toughest part for me.
Makes it very easy.....oh well, next time!

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0