ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-27-2009, 07:48 PM   #1
FASTTOYS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi R8, X3M, XC60 R-Line

Carver sub incloser with dynamat sounds better

I pulled the back panels & subs & foam inserts from my 2007 M coupe. The carver sub fits into a metal box/closure with foam insert. One of the foam inserts were incorrectly installed, I guess my car was built on a Friday. I decided to add dynamat to the inside of the box and to the inside metal mounting bracket. I noticed the subs are ported at the top of the box were air is forced in the rear cabin behind the storage bin. I always wondered why I heard vibrations in that area. I think the system sounds much better in the rear; I don’t have the same vibrations behind the seats. I only spent 4 hours and the dynamat was cheep because C-city stores are closing so I got it for 70% off. The true test will be tomorrow when I take it out and drive it for a couple hours.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2009, 10:40 AM   #2
Graham M
I love my Z. Pure sex on wheels.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Is sold, goodbye everyone!

I dont believe its ported, I'm quite sure the two "ports" connect to each other for the purpose of adding slightly more airspace between the two enclosures.
I've never taken it completely apart, but there is little reason for any ports to face anywhere but back into the cab of the car. It would just be a waste otherwise, with no real acoustic benefit.
      03-01-2009, 02:07 PM   #3
FASTTOYS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

correct

Yea both ports are located on the inside top of the box the air is directed into a larger cavity behind the storage bin. That air makes my storage bin rattle, it sounds better with the dynamat. I am surprised BMW spent all this money in design to have it sound average. I would like to meet the BMW sound Eng who gave the project a big thumps up. WTF I dont get it.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2009, 05:20 PM   #4
Graham M
I love my Z. Pure sex on wheels.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Is sold, goodbye everyone!

^ Yeah the stereo sounds decent, just not the subs. I can't stand the muddy, thick and unclear bass I get from the OEM carver subs.
So I am currently just wrapping up a big install project, where I took two (Digital Designs) 6.5" subwoofers, and ported the OEM metal enclosure panels and had those said aftermarket subs amped. I took countless photos documenting the whole install, so after I carpet the amp rack (which is in the trunk) I'll post up the whole DIY install I just did. I should be done this week as I just bought the carpet yesterday. Its very clean, and sounds countless times better then did the carver sub set up. Although no more loud then the OEM ones were however.
I also installed a switch and speaker terminal, so I can shut off the power going to the 6.5" subs if I want to have an external sub in the trunk at times.
The stereo sounds surprisingly good without the subs already.
      03-03-2009, 09:43 PM   #5
FASTTOYS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

great

yea I been reading your post cant wait to see your work. I had a Z3M conv. I did a major revamp on the HK system, it sounded great. I wanted to keep my M Coupe factory, I just wish BMW did a better job. I dont understand why THX would put their name on this POS. I am happy with the dynamat + I only installed it on the inside of the box so no one will know but me. I am working on a revamp of my Home Theater system so that is were all my $$$$$$$$$$$ is going. I will have four 12 inch powered subs + 9 speakers and 119 inch screen with 1080P projector it will be major over kill, my poor neighbors.

Good luck
Appreciate 0