E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > JB3 Question

02-28-2009, 01:41 PM   #1
.:bHd:.
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i MT

JB3 Question

I have a question for the JB3 owners. Right now I have a JB2 with a single intake and cant get any traction in first gear. If the throttle is 75%, my tires still spin. Second gear is a lot better if I WOT from a roll, but if i change from 1st to 2nd, it'll keep spinning. I think the main reason why this happens is because the JB adds more turbo lag, and once the turbo kicks in, the tires break traction (the power isn't as linear as stock). My question is how worse is the JB3 when it comes to the tires spinning. I'm on stock tires and no I cant afford DRs or an LSD lol. I'm considering getting a JB3 because i feel like the JB2 lacks power after second gear.

one more question. Is it true that since we take out the heat-shield with the stock intake, it actually makes the car slower when temperatures get hot?

Appreciate 0
      02-28-2009, 05:18 PM   #2
PROcede_JB3
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:bHd:. View Post
I think the main reason why this happens is because the JB adds more turbo lag, and once the turbo kicks in, the tires break traction (the power isn't as linear as stock).
No, you lose traction because of the increase in torque in the lowend. There should be no noticable turbo lag with your car (unless it is 29.2+)

Quote:
My question is how worse is the JB3 when it comes to the tires spinning. I'm on stock tires and no I cant afford DRs or an LSD lol. I'm considering getting a JB3 because i feel like the JB2 lacks power after second gear.
The JB3 is actually better because it controls both solenoids, thus reduces the boost overshoot (which causes the torque).

Quote:
one more question. Is it true that since we take out the heat-shield with the stock intake, it actually makes the car slower when temperatures get hot?
False, do some research on this because it has been beat to death. Sufice it to say that the increase in airflow outweighs the slight increase in IAT. Remeber just because it is sucking in hot air from the engine bay doesn't mean the IAT is that different. That hot air still goes through the turbos, intercooler, etc.

If you are worried about IAT get an intercooler, not a CAI.

Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2009, 05:46 PM   #3
.:bHd:.
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROcede_JB3 View Post
No, you lose traction because of the increase in torque in the lowend. There should be no noticable turbo lag with your car (unless it is 29.2+)
I have shit load of lag. No idea what my software version is though, but you can definitely feel the lag.

Quote:
The JB3 is actually better because it controls both solenoids, thus reduces the boost overshoot (which causes the torque).
That's good to know, I'm really considering it now.

Quote:
False, do some research on this because it has been beat to death. Sufice it to say that the increase in airflow outweighs the slight increase in IAT. Remeber just because it is sucking in hot air from the engine bay doesn't mean the IAT is that different. That hot air still goes through the turbos, intercooler, etc.
If you are worried about IAT get an intercooler, not a CAI.

Hope that helps.
lol not really worried, just wanted to know if it's true because I didn't believe it either.

Thanks for the help

Appreciate 0
      02-28-2009, 06:43 PM   #4
Donald-335i
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: The Hoes Crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:bHd:. View Post
I have a question for the JB3 owners. Right now I have a JB2 with a single intake and cant get any traction in first gear. If the throttle is 75%, my tires still spin. Second gear is a lot better if I WOT from a roll, but if i change from 1st to 2nd, it'll keep spinning. I think the main reason why this happens is because the JB adds more turbo lag, and once the turbo kicks in, the tires break traction (the power isn't as linear as stock). My question is how worse is the JB3 when it comes to the tires spinning. I'm on stock tires and no I cant afford DRs or an LSD lol. I'm considering getting a JB3 because i feel like the JB2 lacks power after second gear.

my friend (e90injerz) has a e90 6mt with a jb2 and BMS intake and he lights up those babys from a 25mph roll in 2nd

if i really want to i can break it loose in 3rd (but i don't do that im a good driver)
Appreciate 0