E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Southwest > Texas peeps- front license plate question

07-04-2006, 07:38 PM   #1
froman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 550i Sport Space Gray

Texas peeps- front license plate question

Just got my car two weeks ago, and the plates haven't come in yet. The dealer didn't install the hated front license plate bracket yet. Somebody once told me you can install a Euro-style long license plate for the front, and it's legal if you have your actual license plate number on it. I guffawed at the time- it sounded implausible. But has anyone else heard of that? If I have to ruin the looks of my front end w/ a license plate, it might as well be something semi cool-looking.

Another question, the passenger side wiper leaves a long vertical stripe right in my field of vision at the point where it stops and reverses direction. Is that just new wiper blades shedding some rubber, or is there something I can do to lessen the problem?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2006, 07:45 PM   #2
BIMMER GUY
BIMMER GUY
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325 I

Welcome !!!!!!!!

As Far As Front Number Plate Euro Style I Think "no"
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2006, 09:31 PM   #3
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i MSport

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
I don't think so either. Can you put the plate on top of the dash? Probably not since this is Texas. Pretty anal about cars as it is. Have the dealer replace the wiper if it bothers you that much.
      07-04-2006, 10:10 PM   #4
bmq
Chief of the boat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

I have had my car for over six months and have not installed the front plate. Dallas area cops have not stopped me yet. It is my understanding that they usually do not stop you for no front plate, but if they stop you for another reason (speeding, seat belt, etc.) then they will add that to your list of violations.
      07-04-2006, 11:30 PM   #5
DallasBimmer
Big D bimmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i TiAg

No front plate on any of my cars since 1995!
Join the no front plate revolution!
      07-04-2006, 11:32 PM   #6
maq
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: MTA Monthly Pass

Generally, Houston cops don't give a $hit about front plate. Watch out for check points, those cops will give you a ticket for anything. Some DPS officers also check your front plate, but if you have a good excuse they will just give you a warning. If you go to Austin a lot, there's a DPS trooper on 71 in the Bastrop area that stops every car without a "properly displayed" front plate.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2006, 11:34 PM   #7
Hunter399
Major General
Rep
Drives: F90M5

I dont have it

No problems yet

WE NEED TO HAVE A HOUSTON MEET!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2006, 11:58 PM   #8
froman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 550i Sport Space Gray

Quote:
Watch out for check points,
Where have you seen check points in TX? I thought they were illegal here...
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2006, 12:02 AM   #9
tl_boy
Major
Rep
Drives: tl

i've been stopped for no front plate. they let me go, but its a hassle. not in the bemer, in another car.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2006, 12:46 AM   #10
DeuceDeuce
Linebacker At Large
Rep
Drives: '06 330i, '04 325i, '06 X3

Here's the deal....running the risk of being outside a politically correct box...If you say, drive your BMW to work and home- perhaps to the golf course on the weekend...who cares. At worst- if an officer feels so inclined your time will be inconvenienced. It won't break the bank. I have...on the other hand....seen people pulled over in Dallas- particularly late at night, after the bars close for example, for not having a front plate. If I were on my way out for the evening I wouldn't particularly want to tempt fate and a much more serious violation by not having the plate there. Driving after having a couple of drinks is stupid...getting pulled over for a front plate and having it result in a DUI? priceless....
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2006, 07:36 AM   #11
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

by law, you are require (in houston). why do you think they send you two plates? do it at your own risk.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2006, 08:58 AM   #12
bilbarstow
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i SG 6M ZPP ZSP

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Don't deface your Front Bumper (yet)

Well ... the jury is still "out" on this one. When I got my car in March, the Dealer told me that "the Front plate law in Texas is going to change in September" (although it has been proven to me that my CA is generally an idiot, I'd like to believe him on this one ! ).

I've done quite a bit of research on Westlaw and Lexis trying to determine if this is in fact the case - and it is inconclusive. There was a bill that passed the Texas House to repeal that section of the vehicle code, but nowhere can I locate a similar item passing the Senate. It doesn't look very certain that this will actually change in September. Current Case Law does indicate that a license plate displayed in the front windshield / dash is legal to meet the requirements of the code for front display.

So, until I'm absolutely sure that the law doesn't change in September, I refuse to drill holes in my front bumper, and I'm displaying my plate on the dash with suction cups attaching it to the windshield. If I get stopped for this, my lawyer (wife) already has the case cites ready to slap the officer with. I'd even enjoy that day in court.
      07-05-2006, 10:25 AM   #13
Joe Bimmer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 2015 X5 x35i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbarstow
Well ... the jury is still "out" on this one. When I got my car in March, the Dealer told me that "the Front plate law in Texas is going to change in September" (although it has been proven to me that my CA is generally an idiot, I'd like to believe him on this one ! ).

I've done quite a bit of research on Westlaw and Lexis trying to determine if this is in fact the case - and it is inconclusive. There was a bill that passed the Texas House to repeal that section of the vehicle code, but nowhere can I locate a similar item passing the Senate. It doesn't look very certain that this will actually change in September. Current Case Law does indicate that a license plate displayed in the front windshield / dash is legal to meet the requirements of the code for front display.

So, until I'm absolutely sure that the law doesn't change in September, I refuse to drill holes in my front bumper, and I'm displaying my plate on the dash with suction cups attaching it to the windshield. If I get stopped for this, my lawyer (wife) already has the case cites ready to slap the officer with. I'd even enjoy that day in court.
That would be a big waste of time in the court system, and you wouldn't win. I read about a case years back on a VW forum -- I'll try to dig it up if you're interested. The September law didn't pass last year, so no amendments were made to the license plate law. I confirmed this with TXDOT when I got my car last month. Who knows if they'll try again this year...

I'm considering using zip-ties to attach my front plate to the lower grill mesh, so as to avoid drilling holes. So far, it's been sitting in my glove box.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2006, 10:26 AM   #14
tl_boy
Major
Rep
Drives: tl

I did that once on my prelude years ago. I wouldn't reccomend this though, because God forbid you get in a serious collision, that license plate can become a guillitoine (sp?).

I must admit, it does look a lot better without the front plate. I have also sealed up my holes so they are barely noticeable. If I ever get cited for this, I will definitely bring up the fact that nearly every corvette I've seen does not have a plate... so if they can get away, I should too. There should not be exceptions for corvettes or any other cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbarstow

Appreciate 0
      07-05-2006, 11:07 AM   #15
bilbarstow
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i SG 6M ZPP ZSP

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Joe Bimmer - it wouldn't be a waste of time in the court system - because I'd have been going to court for whatever ELSE they stopped me for. If it is just for the plate - I expect that I would not lose that issue, as the plate IS displayed, and Texas Case law (which has not as yet been overruled) has already ruled that as long as it "is visible from the front", which mine clearly is - it meets the standard of the vehicle code.

Now, the speeding rap or whatever else ? Those I might lose but I'll let my (free ? not really - I paid for her Law degree) Lawyer duke it out with them just for the hell of it.

tl_boy - yeah, I've already thought of the guillotine issue, the plate is wrapped in a clear plastic tubing which actually looks pretty good. It may still cut me in half, but it will be blunt when it's doing it. I was really more concerned with the sharp edges scratching my dash or windshield. Of course, anything within the cabin can become a projectile, so caveat driver !
      07-11-2006, 06:14 PM   #16
knight
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: aw 330i

i saw an e46 with them coming from the galleria...seem pretty sick.

inquired info from a friend, says that he sees ppl get pulled over for them all the time
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2006, 02:45 PM   #17
rjm
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 528i/2007 328i Coupe

I purchased an '07 328i Coupe 3 weeks ago. The dealer said "he thought" they were going to pass a law eliminating the need for front plates in Texas. I researched it thoroughly and couldn't find any law that had been passed by the Senate and the House and signed into law....not even a PROPOSED law. I did find an online petition to submit to the legislature to eliminate this requirement....that's it....only a PETITION. Some get by without complying with the law but like one poster said, it just gives the cop an excuse to pull you over late at night and harass you, and it gives some of our local municipalities an easy means of "Revenue Enhancement." It may be a stupid law, but if you ignore it, it could be expensive.:mad:
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2006, 09:45 PM   #18
LDV330i
Registered
Rep
Drives: E46 IR ZHP

A Houston policeman drove down my street while I was waiting for my townhouse complex gate to open. He waited for me at the street corner to give me a ticket for not having a front license plate. I did show him I had one except it was sitting on my floorboard. BTW, this is not a fix it ticket. I went before the judge with pictures of the front plate installed and she told me she could not dismiss the ticket. She did reduce my ticket to $5 but with court costs it was still over $50.

Displaying your plate on the dashboard will still get you a ticket. The law is very specific about the plate being mounted to the front bumper. If you have a frame around your plate none of it better touch the word TEXAS because you could subject yourself to a ticket. No plate covers are allowed even if they are clear.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2006, 12:58 AM   #19
Vinobien
The 3 Day Diet!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray e92, 88 911 Cab

Garage List
no plate on front - i live in Dallas - no issues in 3 years
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2006, 04:39 PM   #20
guitarvenue
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: ex 330Ci ZHP....looking..

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinobien
no plate on front - i live in Dallas - no issues in 3 years

is that your girlfriend in that avatar?

really bad man...
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2006, 04:54 PM   #21
Vinobien
The 3 Day Diet!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray e92, 88 911 Cab

Garage List
That's me bitch..... u couldn't handle me you skinny honky.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2006, 07:45 PM   #22
Hunter399
Major General
Rep
Drives: F90M5

lol
Appreciate 0