E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Downpipe help please!

03-14-2009, 05:41 PM   #1
Ramppo
Cruiser
Rep
Drives: bmw 335 e92

Downpipe help please!

Hi guys, i drive 335i MSD81 with dinan S2 package (include stage 3) now i am planing to buy catted downpipes so the question is which downpipe dont cause problems/issues/codes with my mod? and if i for some reason end up buyeing the ones which cause issues can i get rid them by buyeing the 02 simulator?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2009, 06:26 PM   #2
JB335
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335is

Garage List
2011 BMW 335IS  [7.60]
I believe DINAN may not continue your warranty through them if any other mods are on your car. I could very well be wrong. Im not positive.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2009, 06:51 PM   #3
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB E92 - SOLD 5/2010

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [8.00]
The way I see it, you have 2 options and both are able to void your warranty ......

1) You install "catted" DP's (meaning primary cats are in place). Additional 02 sims are not needed as the "primary cats" are in place. This will enable you to have no emissions problems. However, if you ever have a runnability problem that would cause Dinan to step in; they will void your warranty IF they see them installed. Remove them before reporting any "runnability" problems to Dinan or your local dealer.

2) You install "catless" DP's (primary cats are absent). You WILL need to have 02 sims in place to keep the car from throwing emissions codes. Your warranty can become void by Dinan or your local dealer upon discovery of them installed. REMOVE THEM BEFORE ANY DEALER TRIPS, PERIOD. I would be more on edge with the car going to the dealer with this setup than the above. IF you choose not to have the 02 sims in place then you WILL ALWAYS have issues in dealing with anything/anyone from the dealer to Dinan to your state's emissions station.

Now then, I also have the Dinan flash amongst many other mods in place AND will soon have catted DP's installed. If I ever am afflicted with a problem with the car that would cause the dealer (or Dinan) to investigate; you can bet your ass there will be nothing indicating the DP's were ever installed on my car ......... removed beforehand.

As a side note; I have never uninstalled/removed ANY mods from my car in preparation for a trip to the dealer. The car has endured diagnostic checks several times throughout this past year and I have NEVER received any warnings or static for it. Then again, if catastrophic failure rears it's head I will remove any performance mods I now have installed just to CMA.

And for anyone thinking I'm deceiving the dealer ........... they already know the car and everything that is currently installed. If the mods aren't installed on the car when they have posession of it they can't blame the problems on the mods.

Appreciate 0
      03-14-2009, 07:18 PM   #4
335iheLLraiseR
اوليسيس
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

Garage List
2007 e92 335  [10.00]
Woah, yup that about sums it up. Might as well close the thread now,LOL.^^^^^^
Anyone who can transition seamlessly from defending one vendor and bashing another vendor to bashing the one he formally defended and defending the one he formally bashed has a instant credibility problem.
<---Sign up Now for Bonus Storage! Up to 10gb!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2009, 07:23 PM   #5
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......
Italy
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iheLLraiseR View Post
Woah, yup that about sums it up. Might as well close the thread now,LOL.^^^^^^
........... gotta be thorough these days!

Appreciate 0
      03-14-2009, 07:49 PM   #6
coolguy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToadHollow View Post
........... gotta be thorough these days!
I am in the same boat as u Did u find anything in the catch can? I am yet to order one.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2009, 07:56 PM   #7
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......
Italy
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
I am in the same boat as u Did u find anything in the catch can? I am yet to order one.
After a bit more than 8 months of usage/ 2 oil changes ....... there was enough to fill a shot glass. I was pleased.

Appreciate 0
      03-14-2009, 09:51 PM   #8
stimpy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Hey Toad,

Wouldn't you worry that your account has been flagged with "This dude is modded out" and if a big warranty fix comes up - they will bust it on you regardless if the mods are present or not?

Remember, they can give you the big F-U for whatever reason they want and then it's on your shoulders to take them to court (lawyer fee's, court fee's, etc).

Quote:
The way I see it, you have 2 options and both are able to void your warranty ......

1) You install "catted" DP's (meaning primary cats are in place). Additional 02 sims are not needed as the "primary cats" are in place. This will enable you to have no emissions problems. However, if you ever have a runnability problem that would cause Dinan to step in; they will void your warranty IF they see them installed. Remove them before reporting any "runnability" problems to Dinan or your local dealer.

2) You install "catless" DP's (primary cats are absent). You WILL need to have 02 sims in place to keep the car from throwing emissions codes. Your warranty can become void by Dinan or your local dealer upon discovery of them installed. REMOVE THEM BEFORE ANY DEALER TRIPS, PERIOD. I would be more on edge with the car going to the dealer with this setup than the above. IF you choose not to have the 02 sims in place then you WILL ALWAYS have issues in dealing with anything/anyone from the dealer to Dinan to your state's emissions station.

Now then, I also have the Dinan flash amongst many other mods in place AND will soon have catted DP's installed. If I ever am afflicted with a problem with the car that would cause the dealer (or Dinan) to investigate; you can bet your ass there will be nothing indicating the DP's were ever installed on my car ......... removed beforehand.

As a side note; I have never uninstalled/removed ANY mods from my car in preparation for a trip to the dealer. The car has endured diagnostic checks several times throughout this past year and I have NEVER received any warnings or static for it. Then again, if catastrophic failure rears it's head I will remove any performance mods I now have installed just to CMA.

And for anyone thinking I'm deceiving the dealer ........... they already know the car and everything that is currently installed. If the mods aren't installed on the car when they have posession of it they can't blame the problems on the mods.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2009, 10:57 PM   #9
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......
Italy
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
Hey Toad,

Wouldn't you worry that your account has been flagged with "This dude is modded out" and if a big warranty fix comes up - they will bust it on you regardless if the mods are present or not?

Remember, they can give you the big F-U for whatever reason they want and then it's on your shoulders to take them to court (lawyer fee's, court fee's, etc).
This is going to be long so ........... get comfie.

First, with regard to a dealer "flagging" a car for modifications etc.; I asked two separate dealerships about this "practice" and both gave the same answers. When a vehicle comes in for anything other than say an oil change; the only thing(s) that will be noted on the car will be if a non-OEM part has been modified and is causing (or partially causing) the issue at hand. The cause will be noted on the workorder by the tech assigned to the car. These notes are now a part of the permanent history of the car. 20 years from now when someone looks up the maintenance history of the car; the fact that an aftermarket exhaust was causing a "creaking" noise from underneath the car will be apparent. That is the extent of the "flagging" deal. It's all about vehicle history.

Vehicle history is dependant upon whether the tech bothered to notate the cause or not. If it's a discreet problem not requiring any chargeable labor then chances are the fix will be mentioned to you and the workorder will show the customer complaint/concern and nothing more ........... a GREAT reason to get to know the tech working on your car and to see to it he/she is the only tech EVER assigned to the car.

If I worried about everything you mentioned and allowed myself to become paranoid, then I never would have purchased a car that has a warranty. To be very honest, I specifically checked/spoke with both of my local dealer's SM, lead tech and Dinan tech with regard to modifications I wanted to make to the car.

Everyone involved knew/knows what I had in mind and gave me recommendations regarding the tune (Dinan was actually frowned upon), suspension, exhaust and intake changes. With the latest upgrades being the future FMIC as well as the DPs; I was assured there would be no conflict with the FMIC but, that it would be best if any issues did arise that the DPs be removed prior to the car being brought in for service.

Each of the dealers that I frequent have both given blessings with most of the mods in place and, they have also warned against the DPs (as Dinan also warned me about future servicing with them in place). Although the DPs are "catted"; their presence would cause unwanted attention.

BMWNA will become involved with the repairs/diagnostics when there is an obvious problem that may warrant voiding the warranty OR if the dealer has concerns of whether or not the cost of repair will be reimbursed to them by BMWNA. The dealer wants to be assured that if they repair a vehicle for warranty repairs that they will be reimbursed for their costs by BMWNA. This is their biggest concern with regard to warranty service of a customer's vehicle.

If I bring my car in ......... the car is running poorly and throwing codes ......... engine performance mods are STILL in place on the car ........... diagnostics shows (in their eyes) a problem that could be directly related to a mod in place ......... my dealer clears the codes and then performs repairs ......... there is an excellent chance they WILL NOT be reimbursed for their costs by BMWNA. As soon as diagnostics are run on the car; BMWNA knows and sees all thanks to the data uplink.

I realize there is always the chance of someone (dealer/tech/SM) side-stepping to cover their asses however, when I as an owner am able to go to my local dealer for this and that ..........."a noise coming from there or a rattle from underneath" ......... only to find out the noises are all due to modifications made on the car AND then to know that all of these issues were taken care of under warranty .......... I feel pretty good about the dealer being straight-up with me.

There is always a risk involved and I accepted that when I began modding the car. The biggest dilemma I face now is the fact that I will be relocating soon and am unsure as to the reception I will receive from my "soon to be" dealer.

Last edited by ToadHollow; 03-14-2009 at 11:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2009, 11:11 PM   #10
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......
Italy
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
Hey Toad,

........... I have to add one more thing ..... (laughing at myself)

even if my account were "flagged" as having all of these mods, the only proof they would have would be in reference to the last time they had the car in the shop. If 6 months have gone by since that time then they have no chance in proving that these modifications were in place when THIS issue arose. I would simply say PROVE IT.

Appreciate 0
      03-14-2009, 11:23 PM   #11
coolguy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
After a bit more than 8 months of usage/ 2 oil changes ....... there was enough to fill a shot glass. I was pleased.
Thanks! Are there choices other than Riss?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2009, 11:30 PM   #12
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......
Italy
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
I'm sure there probably are however, RR is a pretty good vendor within these forums with a great reputation as well. I go where the kudos go .....

Just did a quick Google and RR is about the only company making them for the e92/N54 fitment that I could find. Lots of manufacturers for the Ms and older bimmers though .......

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2009, 01:04 AM   #13
335iheLLraiseR
اوليسيس
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

Garage List
2007 e92 335  [10.00]
Quote:
you could theoritically get a catch can and install at any reputable shop. A local here paid i believe 50-70 bucks on one. however Riss is a vendor on this board and they make it specifically for our cars. I like to support our vendors.

i recently had to buy some GP thunders, somehwere i got quoted less than electronicwoot, but since he is a vendor here, ill pay the extra couple of bucks.
Anyone who can transition seamlessly from defending one vendor and bashing another vendor to bashing the one he formally defended and defending the one he formally bashed has a instant credibility problem.
<---Sign up Now for Bonus Storage! Up to 10gb!
Appreciate 0