E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Availability of ECU flashes?

03-19-2009, 06:27 PM   #1
Slidewayz
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Question Availability of ECU flashes?

How does BMW distribute their ECU flashes?

Is it possible/legal for anyone other than a BMW dealer to get them?

I don't know what kind of specialized equipment is needed to flash the ECU...whether something like the Cobb Accessport could be used or if they have some tricky proprietary stuff that forces you to own a $100k machine to do the flash.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2009, 06:30 PM   #2
dmurray14
The Stig
United_States
Rep
Drives: Quickly

It used to be done using the GT1 and progman software. It was just part of the package they'd get, the progman would flash all the modules with whatever version it was. Originally it was a component of DIS but then split off to its own thing. Now it's all done with the ISIS system using ISTA/P. And yeah, it's an 100k machine (if not more)
      03-19-2009, 06:40 PM   #3
Slidewayz
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmurray14 View Post
It used to be done using the GT1 and progman software. It was just part of the package they'd get, the progman would flash all the modules with whatever version it was. Originally it was a component of DIS but then split off to its own thing. Now it's all done with the ISIS system using ISTA/P. And yeah, it's an 100k machine (if not more)
Do you have links explaining the ISIS system and/or ISTA/P. There are a few vendors offering tunes by ECU reprogramming, so they've at least got the protocol & comms. worked out.

If we could legally get the actual BMW update files and correctly update the ECU ourselves, then all the modders would be very happy indeed.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2009, 06:54 PM   #4
dmurray14
The Stig
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slidewayz View Post
Do you have links explaining the ISIS system and/or ISTA/P. There are a few vendors offering tunes by ECU reprogramming, so they've at least got the protocol & comms. worked out.

If we could legally get the actual BMW update files and correctly update the ECU ourselves, then all the modders would be very happy indeed.
I don't, sorry. But as I recall Duram of Bavarian Technic has already got the dumping and loading figured out, with his $400 tool. So I'd say we're well on the way....
      03-19-2009, 07:12 PM   #5
Slidewayz
Major
Rep

Maybe someone here will chime in on how we can get our mitts on the official factory flashes.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2009, 07:15 PM   #6
dmurray14
The Stig
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slidewayz View Post
Maybe someone here will chime in on how we can get our mitts on the official factory flashes.
It's not incredibly hard. They're floating around the internet. But at the very least you need a GT1 image and DK (diagnostic head). The heads run about $2500 for a chinese clone, and you probably don't want to be flashing your car with something like that.