E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > What DSLR Do You Rec.?

05-28-2009, 07:23 AM   #1
SpmnE9zero
DENY THE WORLD THAT SURROUNDS YOU
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB 33ZERO

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
What DSLR Do You Rec.?

I have been kicking around the idea of getting a DSLR and would just like some input of what to get or what to look for when purchasing.
Type of camera?
Type of Lens?
Type of Tripod?
Good Price?
Where to buy?
ETC.

Thanks for all input in advance!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 07:55 AM   #2
vgame64
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

If you are new to DSLRs, the Rebel T1i would be a good camera. It's easy to learn on and will last you a long time as you progress as a photographer.

Last edited by vgame64; 05-28-2009 at 07:55 AM.. Reason: nikon is good as well
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 08:13 AM   #3
PNF
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 15' YMB F80 M3

First of all, my comment are my own experiences, so, just my $0.02.

Would be more helpful if you tell us what you're looking for.

I think you would find recommendations more helpful if you can tell us

1) your budget - Photography can be expensive and cheap and believe me, the quality of your lens WILL affect the quality/sharpness of your results.

2) what you are looking to do mostly - are you going to use this 1 lens for everyday use, i.e. have good color/contrast in low light/interior situations, looking to take macro/closeup shots? Taking most of the picture outside/well-lit environment?

3) I am assuming you just started get into photography and want a entry level DSLR to learn your basics and controls of your shutter speed/apertures/exposures/lightings?

FYI, a $1000 budget can get you a nice entry level DSLR with kit lens, which I would say is more than enough if you are just looking for an entry level first, to know your basics/compositions/learn to control the camera manually. Canon xti, Nikon D40/D40x/D60 comes to mind. ($700 range brand new, or $500 used range) but it wont last long once you learned your basic, once you know how to control the camera, you WILL want a better mid-level or advanced amateur level one).

You can either get a entry level one now, play with it for 2-3 years or longer and then get a $3000 Canon D5, or get a slightly used DSLR now for $400-500, and then upgrade to a mid-level a year later. BTW, the DSLRs usually hold their value pretty nicely. They will depreciate, but lens dont. (well, not as much).

If you want something mid-level, I cannot speak for Nikon, since I'm a Canon user, Canon 50D is a great mid-level camera. ($1200-1500 range for CAMERA BODY only)

The above is just a taste, if you want to know more, you can PM me or any body here. There are many very good photographers here. i.e. lul / Cyruz, etc.

Trust me, photography is a VERY expensive hobby, more expensive than my car actually...

PS. DO NOT get bogged down by the Megapixels, or HD video recording etc.. those are nice, but those are NOT what will directly impact your photos.

2008 E92 335i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 08:18 AM   #4
HyperM3
Too many Alex's, from now on, call me Beaufort
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Sig

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgame64 View Post
If you are new to DSLRs, the Rebel T1i would be a good camera. It's easy to learn on and will last you a long time as you progress as a photographer.
+1 on the T1i. Great new camera and around $899 with lens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNF View Post
If you want something mid-level, I cannot speak for Nikon, since I'm a Canon user, Canon 50D is a great mid-level camera. ($1200-1500 range for CAMERA BODY only)
Actually for $1399 you can get the 50d with lens, not just body.

All that being said, PNF made great points and posed questions that you need to ask yourself before we can continue.
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 08:31 AM   #5
PNF
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperM3 View Post
+1 on the T1i. Great new camera and around $899 with lens.

Actually for $1399 you can get the 50d with lens, not just body.

All that being said, PNF made great points and posed questions that you need to ask yourself before we can continue.
You're correct.. actually.. just checked ebay!!

Well, depends on what the OP wants, if he does decide to jump in at mid-level right away, and will only carry ONE lens for now..

I'd highly recommend him the 18-200 f3.5-5.6 IS lens with 50D. It has perfect combination and compromise of Price, range, performance and WEIGHT!

I saw a 50D + 18-200mm kit for $1500 shipped!! (pretty good, considering the 18-200mm costs $599 on B&H.)

To OP, if your budget is at $1500-2000 and do plan to get a camera to use for next 5 years, 50D + 18-200mm is what you want!! (do not get those 24-135 kit lens. The lens is older version and I think they will stop production on those if not already. and they're not wide enough anyway at 24mm ) Also, do not trust those ebay 4 or 5 lens kit etc.. those other kits are literally crap and useless (they claim they have telephoto/wide angle lens, etc.. its BS and you dont want to use those on your camera and they actually affect your photos negatively most of the time)

Again, if you're looking for Nikon, I'm sure there are other Nikon users here.. I can only speak for Canon and more familiar with Canon equipment.

So, depends on your budget. HyperM3 and others can recommend you what the best equipment is at $1K, $2K, $3K, $5K. (regardless of your composition and other photo taking skills).

PS... NOT to thread jack... since I just upgraded, I have a used Nikon D40x with 2 lens (18-55mm and 55-200mm) available for sale. I'll include all the Nikon accessories that I bought for the camera (i.e. extra battery, extra memory cards, camera bag, lens bag).. I'll let it go for cheap and it is just sitting in my home office gathering dust.. I post often here, and many people have met me and I do guarantee you fast shipment.. (unless you're driving east to Philly or Harrisburg? :P)

2008 E92 335i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 08:33 AM   #6
SpmnE9zero
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
First of all, my comment are my own experiences, so, just my $0.02.

Would be more helpful if you tell us what you're looking for.

I think you would find recommendations more helpful if you can tell us

1) your budget - Photography can be expensive and cheap and believe me, the quality of your lens WILL affect the quality/sharpness of your results.

2) what you are looking to do mostly - are you going to use this 1 lens for everyday use, i.e. have good color/contrast in low light/interior situations, looking to take macro/closeup shots? Taking most of the picture outside/well-lit environment?

3) I am assuming you just started get into photography and want a entry level DSLR to learn your basics and controls of your shutter speed/apertures/exposures/lightings?

FYI, a $1000 budget can get you a nice entry level DSLR with kit lens, which I would say is more than enough if you are just looking for an entry level first, to know your basics/compositions/learn to control the camera manually. Canon xti, Nikon D40/D40x/D60 comes to mind. ($700 range brand new, or $500 used range) but it wont last long once you learned your basic, once you know how to control the camera, you WILL want a better mid-level or advanced amateur level one).

You can either get a entry level one now, play with it for 2-3 years or longer and then get a $3000 Canon D5, or get a slightly used DSLR now for $400-500, and then upgrade to a mid-level a year later. BTW, the DSLRs usually hold their value pretty nicely. They will depreciate, but lens dont. (well, not as much).

The above is just a taste, if you want to know more, you can PM me or any body here. There are many very good photographers here. i.e. lul / Cyruz, etc.

Trust me, photography is a VERY expensive hobby, more expensive than my car actually...

PS. DO NOT get bogged down by the Megapixels, or HD video recording etc.. those are nice, but those are NOT what will directly impact your photos.

1) Budget - UMMM roughly $1500.00. I dont want ot get too carried away, not going pro or anything.

2) Use - Probably a little of everything. A lot of shots of the car outdoors, but also have a little baby girl on the way so, probably a lot inside as well.

3) Exactly!

I appreciate all your help. I not an avid photographer now, but depending on my capabilities, I may try some events later on once I get all the features down. But for now a user friendly beginners camera would be nice.

I have heard good things about the Canon Eos, any pros or cons would be nice.

Thanks again guys!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 08:44 AM   #7
PNF
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpmnE9zero View Post
1) Budget - UMMM roughly $1500.00. I dont want ot get too carried away, not going pro or anything.

2) Use - Probably a little of everything. A lot of shots of the car outdoors, but also have a little baby girl on the way so, probably a lot inside as well.

3) Exactly!

I appreciate all your help. I not an avid photographer now, but depending on my capabilities, I may try some events later on once I get all the features down. But for now a user friendly beginners camera would be nice.

Thanks again guys!

In this case, if you do have $1500 and do plan to spend 80% of it.

I would highly recommend what vgame/hyperM3 recommended too.

Canon Rebel T1i. Rebel is great entry-level DSLR. If you get that you will have

1) the ability to accomodate most of the lens that Canon makes. So, you can upgrade your lens in the future if you want.

2) I believe it also has a 6 or 9 point focus point as well? Its too new that I havent even tried it out at a shop yet. :P

Check what lens it comes with, and COMPARE the price on Amazon + B&H photo. These 2 places are the bench mark for your price comparison if you want super fast/reliable sellers. If you get it on Ebay, just make sure you buy from reputable 99.x% rating with 10,000+ ratings.

Now, $1500 budget, $900 is spent on T1i, even with kit lens, it should cover most of your shoots.

Lets spend the other $600 on something that WILL DRAMATICALLY improve your "in-door" shoots.

I'm sure you have heard that "light is everything in photography".. So, spend that $370 on a top of the line flash, Canon 580EX II !!, or $300 on the 480EX. I would personally highly recommend 580EX II, as it has both diffuser and a white piece embedded for your light bounce, which will create a much softer light on your indoor subjects! Also, the lighting and metering algorithums on the 580EX is more advanced than those on the 480EX, although I personally wouldnt tell much difference in most cases, but I know about it. 480EX does not come with a light bouncer, which is ABSOLUTELY essential! Trust me, you will be happy with it.

With a flash light, you are increasing your camera's shutter speed to take sharper pictures in-door with good lights. This is $370 investment that will make your picture look like a $1000 lens picture.

2008 E92 335i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 08:45 AM   #8
HyperM3
United_States
Rep

Quote:

3) Exactly!

Thanks again guys!
Alright, excellent starting price point. First question I pose for you is "do you already have an existing point-n-shoot?"

The reason I ask is because you dont want just ONE camera. You want some sort of backup or another camera you may "grab" when the DSLR is just not convenient.

So, that being said, I would take a serious look at the T1i from canon(especially since it does video now, very trick for a DSLR) and with the rest of your budget pick up a nicer point-n-shoot(I love my G7, they are now on the G10) and maybe another lens for your DSLR. As you can tell, Im also a fan of Canon(switched over from Nikon about 3 yrs ago).

Now youre up to your $1500 budget and have some really good gear. Obviously whats not mentioned is memory cards, bags, tripods, printers etc. which all are going to add on to your total.

Dont get stuck on the idea that you need a better camera to take better pictures. You can take a crappy driver and put them in a ferrari and they will still be a crappy driver. Take a fantastic driver and put them in a civic and they will still be able to lap everyone up on a track.

So, if that didnt make sense, basically you need to have an eye for pictures. You also need really good timing. Sometimes the best shots are missed or won in a matter of minutes.

Find some books or take some courses on photography(and how to use all the controls) and youll be enjoying the new hobby in no time at all.
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 08:51 AM   #9
PNF
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Alright, excellent starting price point. First question I pose for you is "do you already have an existing point-n-shoot?"

The reason I ask is because you dont want just ONE camera. You want some sort of backup or another camera you may "grab" when the DSLR is just not convenient.

So, that being said, I would take a serious look at the T1i from canon(especially since it does video now, very trick for a DSLR) and with the rest of your budget pick up a nicer point-n-shoot(I love my G7, they are now on the G10) and maybe another lens for your DSLR. As you can tell, Im also a fan of Canon(switched over from Nikon about 3 yrs ago).

Now youre up to your $1500 budget and have some really good gear. Obviously whats not mentioned is memory cards, bags, tripods, printers etc. which all are going to add on to your total.

Dont get stuck on the idea that you need a better camera to take better pictures. You can take a crappy driver and put them in a ferrari and they will still be a crappy driver. Take a fantastic driver and put them in a civic and they will still be able to lap everyone up on a track.

So, if that didnt make sense, basically you need to have an eye for pictures. You also need really good timing. Sometimes the best shots are missed or won in a matter of minutes.

Find some books or take some courses on photography(and how to use all the controls) and youll be enjoying the new hobby in no time at all.
+1 on not needing a $2000 camera to take $100000000 photo. Essentially, what it comes down to is the lens, not the body nor the video taking, nor other marketing megapixel BS.

I'd recommend a few books that I recently just read and they are EXCELLENT IMO for entry amatuers. I read a few of them, and I think they helped me greatly. I'll give you the titles when I get home and you can buy them on half.com for $5-15 shipped!

The only thing I'd differ from HyperM3 is to use the rest of money on a flash, instead of point-and-shoot. Rebel T1i is light enough to be carried with you everyday in 95% of the situation, whereas, my 50D with my everyday lens weighs almost 1.6-2.0 pounds!

2008 E92 335i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 08:57 AM   #10
SpmnE9zero
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Wow, you guys sound like you have been doing this for years. I bet you guys love these type of threads! I appreciate all your help.
Where to buy these products you speak of for best pricing? I am not opposed to buying used unless you guys tend to ward them off. I just want something that will last me a while and not crap out on me.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 09:10 AM   #11
HyperM3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The only thing I'd differ from HyperM3 is to use the rest of money on a flash, instead of point-and-shoot. Rebel T1i is light enough to be carried with you everyday in 95% of the situation, whereas, my 50D with my everyday lens weighs almost 1.6-2.0 pounds!
While I wont disagree with you on this(I have a 40d and with lens weighs what youre talking), I grab my g7 quite a lot. The T1i is still not compact and with a decent tele lens, could increase in weight and decrease in portability. Not typically the first thing youd grab when baby is taking first steps type thing.

That being said, Im not opposed to the flash idea either. I dont have a good flash even though Im in the process of deciding on one. I just happen to do most of my shooting outdoors which typically negates any need for flash.

You just have to figure out what type of shooting you'll be doing and purchase your gear for that purpose.
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 09:10 AM   #12
PNF
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Wow, you guys sound like you have been doing this for years. I bet you guys love these type of threads! I appreciate all your help.
Where to buy these products you speak of for best pricing? I am not opposed to buying used unless you guys tend to ward them off. I just want something that will last me a while and not crap out on me.
Not really. I'm just an amatuer myself and I am still learning too! I have used my D40x for about 2 years now and just recently upgraded. So thats why I know a little bit more about what camera/lens/accessories to get, because I did spend months of book reading/learning before I bought.

Really depends on how much you are comfortable spending.

i.e. If you are comfortable spending literally $1500, then T1i + kit lens + a top of the line flash is highly recommended. Remember, the flash is compatible with 95% of all other canon gear, even if you decide to upgrade to an advanced amatuer / pro level Full Frame (FF) cameras, such as 5D MK II in say 5-10 years.

If you think you want something that you can "abuse" and not too worry about babying it, I'd say spend just $600-700, which will yield similar results.

Click my picture in my signature. My pictures taken in there are with my old D40x with a kit lens.

If you do get the T1i + flash, I'd say you'd want to baby it a little and not too sure if you can do that with a baby in your arms and whatnots

With everything is said and done and as much as I hope you buy my D40x (and I baby my equipment just as much as I baby my car), Canon Rebel T1i + 580EX II flash is the best combo that will last you years and you dont even have to upgrade your camera, unless you want to go FF.

Now, remember, Canon is very tricky and they do make a big difference between EOS and Rebel series, in terms of their lighting/metering algorithums, built-in gapless micro lens sensors, flexibility in setting customization, wider viewing LCD, and obviously BUILT-QUALITY. 50D is much better built and resistent to heavy usage.

Also, 50D has a much better algorithm/software on the auto-focusing, which will matter when you need a fast focus in a shoot (shooting of your baby, for example, and if you can get the camera to focus, you cant shoot, unless you do it manually and you'll probably miss the shot that you want eventually)

Trust me, build-quality/material matters in body and lens. Thats why Canon L lens cost $1000-5000 each, instead of other standard kit canon lens that cost between $200-$500.

HD video is great, but if you want to take quality pictures, I'd recommend you use point-and-shoot to take those videos, as you'll be using the memory for photos. (of course, unless you decide to drop $80-100 just on a 16G-32G memory)

2008 E92 335i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 09:12 AM   #13
HyperM3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ok, well, you can find a lot of these products cheap(inexpensively priced?) online at different retailers.

However, even though Im not a warranty type of guy, I really like the fact that Best Buy has a protection plan that covers accidental damage. So if you drop your camera or bust the lens, its covered, no questions asked.

If you bring in a competitors ad, normally you can get what you want price matched or at least get close to it.
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 09:17 AM   #14
PNF
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
While I wont disagree with you on this(I have a 40d and with lens weighs what youre talking), I grab my g7 quite a lot. The T1i is still not compact and with a decent tele lens, could increase in weight and decrease in portability. Not typically the first thing youd grab when baby is taking first steps type thing.

That being said, Im not opposed to the flash idea either. I dont have a good flash even though Im in the process of deciding on one. I just happen to do most of my shooting outdoors which typically negates any need for flash.

You just have to figure out what type of shooting you'll be doing and purchase your gear for that purpose.

By all means, I'm not opposing the idea of a compact point-and-shoot, because I have one myself in my camera bag at all times as well!!

I am just more pro-flash, which really makes a big different for in-door shooting.

But you're right that, it depends on what OP wants to shoot the most.

In summer times, he's fine with extended day light and out-door activities, but when it comes to winter, the flash really comes in handy..

I have been using my friends 30D with L 17-40mm f4 when we go on a photoshoot and I LOVE it, and hence my upgrade to 50D. 30/40/50D are great cameras and I'd recommend it to anyone~

2008 E92 335i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 09:28 AM   #15
SpmnE9zero
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Man I could learn a lot from you guys. I am jealous of your knowledge!
So would the Eos from Best Buy be a good deal? Somewhere in the neiborhood of $900.00 I think.
So the camera itself does not have a real good flash or not one at all?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 09:32 AM   #16
HyperM3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So would the Eos from Best Buy be a good deal? Somewhere in the neiborhood of $900.00 I think.
I think its a great camera for the price. You have to think, a camera with its capabilities about 4 yrs ago would have been at least 2g.

In terms of the flash in the camera, you have to decide if it works for the type of photos you're taking. Most of the time if I'm taking close shots indoors, its adequate for what I want. Could I take better photos with an actual flash, of course. I probably will pick up an external flash sometime soon.
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 09:33 AM   #17
SpmnE9zero
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
I think its a great camera for the price. You have to think, a camera with its capabilities about 4 yrs ago would have been at least 2g.

In terms of the flash in the camera, you have to decide if it works for the type of photos you're taking. Most of the time if I'm taking close shots indoors, its adequate for what I want. Could I take better photos with an actual flash, of course. I probably will pick up an external flash sometime soon.

Your rear spoiler is so sicketysicksick!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 09:35 AM   #18
PNF
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Man I could learn a lot from you guys. I am jealous of your knowledge!

I think ALL dslr has its own flash? (at least all the ones that I am aware of).

it has flash, but the flash is a "hard" / "direct" flash at your subject, which will make your subjects look too bright. It just doesnt look natural.

With an external flash, you can change your flash angles (well, i meant, with the advanced/more expensive flashes), and you can bounce your light off the wall, or off your light bouncer piece to create indirect lightings on your subjects. huge difference! I dont have any pictures with me now, but thats another lesson that I myself am still trying to improve on.....

2008 E92 335i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 09:44 AM   #19
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
Good info above.

Check this site out of indepth reviews of lenses/cameras:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/C...pose-Lens.aspx
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 09:50 AM   #20
PNF
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danniexi View Post
Good info above.

Check this site out of indepth reviews of lenses/cameras:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/C...pose-Lens.aspx
+1

That is where i spend literally 1 hour EVERYDAY reading and reading!

lots of good info there..

2008 E92 335i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 09:50 AM   #21
SpmnE9zero
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Wow, great link, that will for sure be placed in my fav's.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 10:00 AM   #22
PNF
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Wow, great link, that will for sure be placed in my fav's.
Thanks
For more general reads, I also go here. http://www.dpreview.com/

It talks about all camera in general and some photography fundamentals on composition, exposure, etc! very good read IMO.

2008 E92 335i (sold)
Appreciate 0