Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Run Flats or Non Run Flats?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

06-06-2009, 07:06 PM   #1
Overlord
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Run Flats or Non Run Flats?

I've been sticking with the run flats since buying my 2007 e92. From what I've seen, people are saying that they impact performance. Wanted to start this thread and get some input on switching (I am about to buy new wheels).

Would love to hear what those of you that have switched to non run flats are doing without having a spare. I've have two tires go on me and they are not cheap, but at least I was able to get to a shop.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2009, 07:22 PM   #2
ogun
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i TiAg

Garage List
2007 E90 335i  [0.00]
I did it today. Cheapo tires(relatively). I can say that right off the bat the difference was so obvious. I can only imagine what that would have been with top-of-the-line tires. I have been a proponent of RFT's until today. Now all I need is one of those emergency kits. I don't think I'll ever go back.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2009, 07:24 PM   #3
drift90
1st gear newbie
Canada
Rep
Drives: Its rather sexy

Burn those damn run flats,
DISTROY THEM
they suck.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2009, 07:56 PM   #4
jayely1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

wow.. Search.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2009, 08:25 PM   #5
DerekS
Major
Rep
Drives: '24 X3 M Sport

RFTs

Quote:
Originally Posted by drift90 View Post
Burn those damn run flats,
DISTROY THEM
they suck.
I would strongly agree. Having experienced two different 3 series models with RFTs, I would not buy another and stick with these tires.

The first thing I will do next year when I take delivery of a new 5er will be to swap out the dreadful RFTs, assuming that BMW persists in equipping the next 5er with them.

Yes, these tires do have some safety benefits. But, the downside is hard to live with on a daily basis. The harsher ride, excessive tire noise, limited tread life and severe tram lining for 18" and 19" versions are not acceptable, in my view.

Then, there is the issue of higher replacement cost and availability. Imagine having a flat high up in the mountains, more than 250 kms from the nearest tire shop or even further away from the nearest BMW dealer. Are you going to drive @ 80 km/h (the maximum permitted) with your deflated RFT on a highway that has a speed limit of 120 km/h and expect your RF tire to last for 250 kms with the outside temperature reading 42 C (or approximately 102F) ? This scenario happened to me last July, high up in the mountains, southeast of Salt Lake City. Fortunately, I had a M Mobility kit on board and it saved the day in so many ways !!!

IMO, the sooner BMW eliminates RFTs from there North American models, the better for all concerned. There are good reasons why these tires do not make it on to models like the M5 !!
      06-06-2009, 08:26 PM   #6
noro
Colonel
Armenia
Rep
Drives: '91 M3, '04 E46 ZHP, '72 2002

I too felt an improvement when switched over to non-RFTs (Sumis HTRZ-III).

I do however say that the RE050s are pretty sticky tires.
      06-06-2009, 08:52 PM   #7
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

I don't have much of a problem with the RE050As. People complain they're loud and generally crappy, but I don't see the problem. For a daily driver, they're pretty damn sticky and do the job well.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2009, 09:23 PM   #8
02themax
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayely1 View Post
wow.. Search.
seriously...

E90 335i
Sport Package - Logic 7 Sound w/ipod - Bluetooth - Comfort Access - PDC - 19" M3 Reps 275/30 235/35 - Blacklines - 10mil spacers rear, 5mil spacers front - BMW Alarm
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2009, 02:33 AM   #9
jayely1
Colonel
Rep

Ya i wasn't joking

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ight=run+flats
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2009, 10:25 AM   #10
ShinyRedCar
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekS View Post
...Then, there is the issue of higher replacement cost and availability. Imagine having a flat high up in the mountains...
I suppose if all you were ever going to do was use the car as a grocery-getter, RFT's would be just fine. After reading your post and considering that I will be doing my second cross-country trip (from CA to NJ) in this car this December, I am rethinking the RFTs when it comes time for replacements soon. The first trip was done with the original Bridgestone RFTs. I am currently on the second set...Continentals. So much better than the Bridgestones!

Last edited by ShinyRedCar; 06-07-2009 at 10:25 AM.. Reason: Incorrect wording!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2009, 10:45 AM   #11
jeffvb9
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW x4m comp

Just went to Non-RFT last week. Went with Kumho Ecsta ASX's. They are stickier than the RFT but much softer. Overall I like them. I went ahead and put a patch kit, compressor, and that slime stuff to put into the tire in case of flat. I have BMW assist as well so I feel good about. Just took a 400 mile round trip drive over the weekend and had no issues.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2009, 06:13 PM   #12
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I would strongly agree. Having experienced two different 3 series models with RFTs, I would not buy another and stick with these tires.

The first thing I will do next year when I take delivery of a new 5er will be to swap out the dreadful RFTs, assuming that BMW persists in equipping the next 5er with them.

Yes, these tires do have some safety benefits. But, the downside is hard to live with on a daily basis. The harsher ride, excessive tire noise, limited tread life and severe tram lining for 18" and 19" versions are not acceptable, in my view.

Then, there is the issue of higher replacement cost and availability. Imagine having a flat high up in the mountains, more than 250 kms from the nearest tire shop or even further away from the nearest BMW dealer. Are you going to drive @ 80 km/h (the maximum permitted) with your deflated RFT on a highway that has a speed limit of 120 km/h and expect your RF tire to last for 250 kms with the outside temperature reading 42 C (or approximately 102F) ? This scenario happened to me last July, high up in the mountains, southeast of Salt Lake City. Fortunately, I had a M Mobility kit on board and it saved the day in so many ways !!!

IMO, the sooner BMW eliminates RFTs from there North American models, the better for all concerned. There are good reasons why these tires do not make it on to models like the M5 !!
You've used the M mobility kit? There's another thread on this forum asking how well it works. Did the tire hold air/how long/was it difficult to clean off the goop/did it ruin your tpms? Sorry to thread jack. Like others, I'd like to hear from someone who's had first hand experience w/the m mobility kit. BTW, BMW is not going away from RFT's. And I agree w/others, non-rft's drive much nicer other than the loss of turn-in response which kind of bothers me.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 04:53 PM   #13
therealm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 340 MSport

FWIW - I hear the PS2 RFT is leaps and bounds above the 050A. I too am skeptical of the M mobility to get the job done, just as I am about a RFT to get me safely to my destination after a deflation. The only thing that has me somewhat convinced is the episode of fifth gear where they take the 5 series and drill holes in all the tires (sidewall) and then Tiff flogs it around the track. Granted it was only a lap or two, but that is pretty extreme compared to limping along at 50-60 mph going straight.

I also am of the opinion that the RFT’s are not that bad. A lot of the NVH is just cause they are low profile tires on 18’s. I think people tend to exaggerate… I mean its not like they are straight of Fred Flintstone’s car…
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 05:09 PM   #14
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

i used the mobility goop and it is frankly a short term band aid. i had a nail puncture center of tread with nail still in there. barely got it 10mi to the shop. i had to grossly overinflate the tire and cross fingers because there was still an air leak. i would not trust this for any type of long distance driving, or if i had to drive local through Tenderloin or any similar type of area

RE050A II RFT stick, handle heat and the stiff sidewall gives awesome turn in. I personally will continue to use it, but that's my personal preference since I don't care how stiff or loud a tire is
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2009, 12:50 AM   #15
DerekS
Major
Rep

M Mobility Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvc 22349a View Post
You've used the M mobility kit? There's another thread on this forum asking how well it works. Did the tire hold air/how long/was it difficult to clean off the goop/did it ruin your tpms?
Yes, it did the job for me after having a flat tire in the mountains, southeast of Salt Lake City. After pumping the BMW supplied goop into the tire, you then drive the car for about 2 kms @ low speeds, then re-pressurize the tire to 30 psi. After driving more than 200 kms to Moab, the injected tire held its pressure. After arriving at the local tire repair shop, the tire was quickly cleaned of goop, patched and re-installed on the wheel. Fortunately, the puncture was in the middle of the tread, not in the sidewall. I would never go on a long distance road trip without the M Mobility kit.

As for my future ride, after test driving a 335d sedan, I was completely blown away by its amazing performance, handling and fuel economy. So, contrary to my previous intentions of waiting for the next 5 Series, I pulled the plug for a new 335d, equipped with Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 ZP tires, much superior to the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A . I really prefer the compact size and athletic capabilities of the 3 Series. The new 335d has nearly the same performance as the 335i, although its high speed passing ability is probably even better than the 335i, and its fuel economy and cruising range are vastly superior. As an added bonus, the price of ULSD here in BC (and most of Canada) is about 20% less than premium gas.
      06-10-2009, 12:58 AM   #16
DerekS
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Nazareno View Post
i used the mobility goop and it is frankly a short term band aid. i had a nail puncture center of tread with nail still in there. barely got it 10mi to the shop. i had to grossly overinflate the tire and cross fingers because there was still an air leak. i would not trust this for any type of long distance driving, or if i had to drive local through Tenderloin or any similar type of area
Next time you have this type of puncture, pull out the nail or screw so the goop can fill in the hole, then re-pressurize the tire.
      06-10-2009, 05:08 PM   #17
Dackz
Hates Speed Limits
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

I put some Toyo Proxes 4 UHP all-seasons on mine last week. I MISS THE RFTs for performance. The turn in and stability when cornering hard is amazing on the rft compared to the non. I do like the less road noise and a little more forgiving ride. For 19's they ride damn good, and provide enough traction in stock form that I cant really get them to break loose.

If i didnt live in a state where we can go from 75 to 4" of snow hte next day I would have stuck with rft's, although maybe the michelin for better life.

Now i need the mobility kit, lol.

So far so good for the toyos though they are great dry. havent tried the rain yet as we have had too much hail for the car to venture out in when its been raining. 4 tornado warnings and sever storms the last 3 days LOL.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 12:21 AM   #18
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, it did the job for me after having a flat tire in the mountains, southeast of Salt Lake City. After pumping the BMW supplied goop into the tire, you then drive the car for about 2 kms @ low speeds, then re-pressurize the tire to 30 psi. After driving more than 200 kms to Moab, the injected tire held its pressure. After arriving at the local tire repair shop, the tire was quickly cleaned of goop, patched and re-installed on the wheel. Fortunately, the puncture was in the middle of the tread, not in the sidewall. I would never go on a long distance road trip without the M Mobility kit.

As for my future ride, after test driving a 335d sedan, I was completely blown away by its amazing performance, handling and fuel economy. So, contrary to my previous intentions of waiting for the next 5 Series, I pulled the plug for a new 335d, equipped with Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 ZP tires, much superior to the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A . I really prefer the compact size and athletic capabilities of the 3 Series. The new 335d has nearly the same performance as the 335i, although its high speed passing ability is probably even better than the 335i, and its fuel economy and cruising range are vastly superior. As an added bonus, the price of ULSD here in BC (and most of Canada) is about 20% less than premium gas.
Thx. Hope you went mtn biking in Moab. Enjoy the 335d
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 02:22 AM   #19
Pierre_za
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i 2010

Just FYI, (In South Africa anyway) BMW doesn't recommend using non-RFT's, insisting that the car suspension and handling was designed to be used with them. Apparently if something goes wrong and you've been using standard tires, goodbye motorplan...
Appreciate 0