BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

06-25-2009, 02:13 PM   #1
bmr760
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C, F90 M5C, G05 X5 40i

Exclamation F10 M5 latest information -- V10 turbo & KERS drivetrain !

The drivetrain of the F10 BMW M5 will feature a similar KERS system as the one found in the Formula 1 monoposts which will offer fuel savings technologies as well the ability to shut down cylinders while city driving. The KERS will also feature a boost button imported from the F1 cars that will allow the driver to unleash all the energy stored up.

Even though BMW was looking forward to be the first auto manufacturer to feature the kinetic energy recovery syste(KERS) in road cars, Ferrari will most likely be the one to launch a similar system first.

As expected and announced by us several times before, the new V8 twin-scroll turbo engine from the X5M/X6M models is being considered for the new M5, but…..here comes the intrigue part, BMW is also evaluating an experimental V10 turbo engine based on the V8 with two extra cylinders added.

Obviously the ability to turn automatically turn off individual cylinders will make the new M5 even more efficient than the current model and it will also align with the company’s efforts to promote their fuel savings technologies.

Two gearboxes are being considered, an updated 8-speed dual-clutch gearbox (DCT) or a more advanced 8-speed SMG. As our German editor at BimmerToday points out, people looking for more comfort in the new M5, will favor the M-DCT gearbox, but we’ll refrain from speculations at this point.
Attached Images

Last edited by bmr760; 06-28-2009 at 07:59 PM..
Appreciate 1
M5Rick58873.50
      06-28-2009, 12:08 AM   #2
KWY91
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 (on order), 458

Now that's a promising start to the next-gen M5!

Lamborghini's Mica Orange E93 M3
Akrapovic Exhaust //Challenge Rear CF diffuser//ESS VT-575 Supercharger
Appreciate 0