E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - New England > Roadtrip to Maine (from Toronto)

07-02-2009, 01:52 PM   #1
The English Hacker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i / 2000 VW GTI

Roadtrip to Maine (from Toronto)

Going on a roadtrip to Maine in a few weeks with my wife.

Heading through Buffalo to Boston, then up to Kennebunkport, Portland, Freeport, Rockland and then back via Montreal.

Any advice from my BMW brothers in the area? Accommodation, routes, must-see stuff, etc.?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2009, 02:26 PM   #2
TL
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Happy on H&R coil overs

Garage List
2008 335xi  [1.00]
If you're in Boston below are some places i would suggest:

Fanieul Hall (freedom trail), The North End (similar to little Italy) Boston Common (mini version of Central park) , Charles Street (Beacon Hill neighborhood), The bar, Cheers is a couple blocks down the street, Newburry St and Copley for shopping, Fenway Park in Kenmore Sq. You can go accross the river to Cambridge to check out Harvard and MIT if that's your thing. You can also try the Duck Tours, it'll take you around Boston for about $30-$40/person. When you have a chance drive over to memorial drive and you can see the charles river and Boston's skyline like my signature below.

As for places to eat, it all depends on your budget. Near the hotel you're staying there's this place called the Federalist ($$$$), For Steak Houses try Ruth Chris it's walking distance from your hotel or Capital Grille it's on Newburry or Abe & Louie on boylston st, The North End for Italian, Chinatown (Jumbo Restaurant for dinner or China Pearl for Dim Sum), for burgers try Bartley's Burger at harvard university. If the weather is nice try going for lunch at Top of the Hub at the Prudential, you'll get to see all of boston. i wouldn't recommend going to dinner there but drinks/dessert there are alright too.

As for night life - Check out Gypsy Bar, Whiskey Park or go towards Fenway Park for more of a Sports Bar feel.

Well hope you and the wifey enjoy your stay in Boston!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2009, 12:51 PM   #3
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

Drive the Kancamangus Highway if you can - it's worth a little diversion in your route I think. Beautiful road with awesome views of the mountains. Plus it's twisty and fun to drive. You could take I-93 up from Boston to the Kanc and drive East (on the Kanc and ME-302) to Portland. This would get you off the interstates for a little while, if you're into driving some smaller roads.

Google Maps for the Kanc.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2009, 04:15 PM   #4
carrabassett786
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 11 328i

I just did that road trip (Live in Portland), avoid the Mass Pike, and take VT route 9 and go across NH and VT, much much MUCH more fun than forever worth of hills and cops. While in Portland, the Old Port is good for a pub crawl, and Peaks Island is a fun day trip if its nice out (15 minute ferry ride). Freeport can be good, just be patient with a lot of idiots, don't drive on Main Street (turn right just before downtown at the fire station and just park)

Don't bother with Kennebunkport, York County is a rathole of obnoxious morons from the midwest who thinks that thats the real maine. Its just northern Massachusetts. If you want a nice beach in southern maine, try Higgins Beach in Scarborough or Fort Williams in Cape Elizabeth (Portland Head light, the house that everyone thinks everyone in Maine has).

PM me if you want some specifics in Portland. Its not that big, but there are good places for any tastes! Try and stay at the Hilton Garden Inn or the Regency if you want to stay downtown, The other hotels are in seedier areas. Freeport has a great HGI that I like, too. Don't know a ton about Rockport. Have fun!

E90 328i Space Gray/Chestnut ZMP 2MF ZP2 ZV2 ZCV ZCW-washers HK SAT 3rd Pedal ED 2011.10.10
E90 325xi BSM/Terra ZSP ZPP ZCW Adaptive Xenons SAT 3rd pedal
Gone
E53 X5 3.0i Black Sapphire/Truffle ZPP ZCW ZRC Xenon Nav
Appreciate 0