Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Winter tire choice

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

07-09-2009, 08:56 PM   #1
ru with me drhoo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: not yet!

Winter tire choice

Did a search but if there is a decent thread, I did not find it.

Have run Dunlop run-flat winter tires for 3 winters, a total of about 12K miles. I have not been particularly impressed with them. I think my Miata with Blizzaks did better 15 yrs ago than my e90 has with the Dunlops.

Now, one of my tires has a puncture just near the sidewall, and my tire shop says it can't be fixed. So I'm thinking, rather than buy one new tire when the others have 12K, maybe I'll find a better winter shoe for all 4 corners.

Anyone have any opinions on a stickier setup? I live in Chicago, so I keep my winters on for 6 months/year. Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 12:21 AM   #2
Dackz
Hates Speed Limits
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

I had blizzak LM-25's (non fun flats) and I thought they did great in the snow that we had here in CO. For me it wasnt the tires...it was the clearance! lol
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 10:27 AM   #3
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly 1995 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru with me drhoo View Post
Did a search but if there is a decent thread, I did not find it.

Have run Dunlop run-flat winter tires for 3 winters, a total of about 12K miles. I have not been particularly impressed with them. I think my Miata with Blizzaks did better 15 yrs ago than my e90 has with the Dunlops.

Now, one of my tires has a puncture just near the sidewall, and my tire shop says it can't be fixed. So I'm thinking, rather than buy one new tire when the others have 12K, maybe I'll find a better winter shoe for all 4 corners.

Anyone have any opinions on a stickier setup? I live in Chicago, so I keep my winters on for 6 months/year. Thanks in advance.
You're probably right. A Miata with 14" WS-50 Blizzaks would certainly do better than a 335i with Winter Sport 3D tires on 17" or 18" wheels on snow or icy roads if you take ABS and/or traction control out of the picture.

If you're willing to give up some handling and steering response over the Dunlop to get better winter ice and snow traction, you can get the Blizzak WS-50 in 225/45R17. While it won't completely make up for the difference in weight and tire size between the two different setups, that change in tire type alone would be a dramatic step up in snow traction (but a very noticeable step down in steering response as well).

Please refer to 'Gary/E90 Post' as your previous contact when you order online to help support this forum.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 11:44 AM   #4
ru with me drhoo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary@TireRack View Post
You're probably right. A Miata with 14" WS-50 Blizzaks would certainly do better than a 335i with Winter Sport 3D tires on 17" or 18" wheels on snow or icy roads if you take ABS and/or traction control out of the picture.

If you're willing to give up some handling and steering response over the Dunlop to get better winter ice and snow traction, you can get the Blizzak WS-50 in 225/45R17. While it won't completely make up for the difference in weight and tire size between the two different setups, that change in tire type alone would be a dramatic step up in snow traction (but a very noticeable step down in steering response as well).
Gary
Thanks, I actually bought both sets mounted via Tire Rack. I read great things about the 3D tires, but have been underwhelmed on the 330i. I'm a careful driver but still had some damn close calls in the snow and ice. So you recommend the Ws-50? Obviously, with the tires on 6 mo/year, they will see plenty of dry road use, but I'm not autocrossing the thing! I'm running the 17's in the winter, with sport suspension. I used to have Nokians on another vehicle and liked those a lot. Do the WS-50 come with run-flat?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 02:00 PM   #5
chaz58
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328iT

I have the Dunlops (not the run-flat version though). They are the best winter tire I have found in the dry/wet (not the best in snow/ice). Go studless if you want better snow/ice performance, although you are going to lose in the dry/wet area. Just pick your poison.

Its not really clear from your post, but you are looking for stickier in the snow/ice right?

Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 02:58 PM   #6
taratorko
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz58 View Post
I have the Dunlops (not the run-flat version though). They are the best winter tire I have found in the dry/wet (not the best in snow/ice). Go studless if you want better snow/ice performance, although you are going to lose in the dry/wet area.
Uhhhh, how going studless would improve ice traction?
      07-10-2009, 07:09 PM   #7
ru with me drhoo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz58 View Post
I have the Dunlops (not the run-flat version though). They are the best winter tire I have found in the dry/wet (not the best in snow/ice). Go studless if you want better snow/ice performance, although you are going to lose in the dry/wet area. Just pick your poison.

Its not really clear from your post, but you are looking for stickier in the snow/ice right?
Yeah. I work unscheduled including nights so I can't count on the roads being plowed. Unfortunately, bad snow and ice make up probably 2% (if that) of the miles put on the tires, but they are the miles that will make or break avoiding an accident. So while I like some reasonable handling on the dry, I'm trying to find a winter tire with "OK" handling characteristics when dry, but excellent traction in snow and ice. I'm not tearing around any curves during those months...I'm happy with a decent ride, decent tread life, and accident-avoidance in the snow. I want something stickier than the Dunlops, even if it means giving up a little "performance"
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2009, 01:17 PM   #8
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleopatra View Post
Uhhhh, how going studless would improve ice traction?
A Studless snow tire doesn't mean any snow tire without studs, it refers to the tread compound. Test have proven over and over again that the newer studless compound snow tires outperform old studded tire technology.

Please refer to 'Gary/E90 Post' as your previous contact when you order online to help support this forum.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2009, 01:18 PM   #9
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru with me drhoo View Post
Gary
Thanks, I actually bought both sets mounted via Tire Rack. I read great things about the 3D tires, but have been underwhelmed on the 330i. I'm a careful driver but still had some damn close calls in the snow and ice. So you recommend the Ws-50? Obviously, with the tires on 6 mo/year, they will see plenty of dry road use, but I'm not autocrossing the thing! I'm running the 17's in the winter, with sport suspension. I used to have Nokians on another vehicle and liked those a lot. Do the WS-50 come with run-flat?
No, the best traction studless compound winter tires will not be available in runflat designs, sorry.

I'm not yet sure what will be available this upcoming winter season, but I should have more information around early September.

Appreciate 0
      07-11-2009, 01:45 PM   #10
willie55912
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M850xi gran coupe

I have the Dunlop, and I prefer them over the Blizzak's hands down. I got better traction and much longer tread life. IMHO if you want the best winter tire go with Nokian. I live in Minnesota, and put on over 20 k of miles in winter driving each winter traveling from farms in ND, SD, MN, WI, IA. I used these on an Audi A4 and I have always been impressed with them. Yes, they are expensive, but if you do a lot of driving in winter conditions...they are the BEST.

I have much better luck with Audi in the snow compared to my BMW, even with the same tire size. As for your "close" calls.....remember you are driving in slippery conditions......even 4 drive has its limitations.....probably more so on ice.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2009, 03:23 PM   #11
BMdblU
Brigadier General
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie55912 View Post
I have the Dunlop, and I prefer them over the Blizzak's hands down. I got better traction and much longer tread life. IMHO if you want the best winter tire go with Nokian. I live in Minnesota, and put on over 20 k of miles in winter driving each winter traveling from farms in ND, SD, MN, WI, IA. I used these on an Audi A4 and I have always been impressed with them. Yes, they are expensive, but if you do a lot of driving in winter conditions...they are the BEST.

I have much better luck with Audi in the snow compared to my BMW, even with the same tire size. As for your "close" calls.....remember you are driving in slippery conditions......even 4 drive has its limitations.....probably more so on ice.
That's because quattro>xdrive
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2009, 07:52 PM   #12
ru with me drhoo
Private First Class
Rep

I don't even have x-drive, it's a rear-driver with a manual tranny and sport suspension...
Ideally, there would be a tire out there with better snow/ice performance than the LM-25 and Winter sport 3d, but better dry road handling and durability than the heavy-duty snow shoes. I liked the all-season Nokians my wife had on her Volvo AWD a few years back, so I'm tempted to look into the RSI or whatever
hakka fits my e90, preferably run-flat. If I can't get a run-flat, I guess it's buying a 5th wheel and keeping it in the trunk for extra weight over the rear diff. I cringe thinking about changing a tire when it's 2 below zero on a windy Chicago night!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2009, 09:14 PM   #13
taratorko
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary@TireRack View Post
A Studless snow tire doesn't mean any snow tire without studs, it refers to the tread compound. Test have proven over and over again that the newer studless compound snow tires outperform old studded tire technology.
Sure, if you compare some 80's-90's studded tires with the latest studless technology. I am yet to see any tests showing ANY studless tire to outperform Hakkas 5.