BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - New England

08-09-2009, 08:11 AM   #1
MTROIS
Major
France
Rep
Drives: on the wrong side of the Ocean

M3 vacations in Maine... any tips?

Guys,

I am planning on driving up to Maine to spend a week of vacations!

Any recommendations for places to see or to stay at? Any scenic roads??

Thanks for your feedback!
      08-09-2009, 12:15 PM   #2
osteome
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTROIS View Post
Guys,

I am planning on driving up to Maine to spend a week of vacations!

Any recommendations for places to see or to stay at? Any scenic roads??

Thanks for your feedback!
Depends on what you want to do...ocean vs mountains/lakes.

I lived in southern Maine for two years and always loved the Bar Harbor area for a mix of mountains and scenery at Acadia National Park with the ocean. Warmer waters for swimming would be best found to the south of the state, though.
Gone: M3 E93 Silverstone II over Bamboo
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2009, 04:28 PM   #3
MTROIS
Major
France
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by osteome View Post
Depends on what you want to do...ocean vs mountains/lakes.

I lived in southern Maine for two years and always loved the Bar Harbor area for a mix of mountains and scenery at Acadia National Park with the ocean. Warmer waters for swimming would be best found to the south of the state, though.
We are leaning more to the ocean side than mountains (unless there are lots of twisties there... but don't tell her, he he );

In any case, your suggestion above looks great.
      08-10-2009, 01:28 AM   #4
osteome
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTROIS View Post
We are leaning more to the ocean side than mountains (unless there are lots of twisties there... but don't tell her, he he );

In any case, your suggestion above looks great.

You could always swim in the ocean in the south of Maine, move a few hours northward from there and take in Acadia National Park/Bar Harbor. Freeport (LL Bean and the other outlets) is in between. I-95 is fairly boring, but the road is a little more twisty as you exit and head towards Acadia. You can drive through the park (speeds limited), but there are a lot of opportunities for hiking and cycling as well.

One can eat up a week up there without any issues.....
Gone: M3 E93 Silverstone II over Bamboo
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2009, 04:39 PM   #5
midlifecrisis
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 35d, 2019 230i X

I was just in Maine this past weekend. We go up every summer and stay in the Rockport/Camden area for a few days. Some great coastal roads, but they're usually pretty crowded with traffic on weekends in the summer. Don't go near Wiscasset on a weekend in the summer. It will take you 45 minutes to get through the town.

There are really nice winding roads with great views all over the place. We stay at the Strawberry Hill Inn in Rockport. Right on the bluff overlooking Penobscot Bay, and a great view from every room. Make reservations - they fill up. Lots of great dining in the area, too. It's not a cheap area, but very charming. Rockland is just to the south, and it's an up and coming town. Also, don't miss the Owls Head Transportation Museum. It's on Route 73 just south of Rockland. They have a great collection of old cars and planes. Route 73 going west and north out of Rockport is a pretty nice road, and heads toward Augusta. (You may want to consider going to Augusta and coming in to Camden from the northwest to avoid the traffic on Route 1. I forget the the route numbers, but just set the GPS for Camden or Rockport when you're in Augusta and you'll be on some nice roads.)

We had dinner Sunday night at Hartstone Inn in Camden. You need reservations, and the menu is fixed. Look online to see the menu. What a fantastic meal! The best I've had in years.

There are many other good eating places in Camden, too. We usually take a 2 hour schooner cruise on the bay - another Maine experience that you shouldn't miss!

Have fun if you go!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 11:22 AM   #6
JohnnyRoaster
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 Jerez Black M3 Sedan

I like Camden and Rockport but it can be a bit crowded for my taste. I would highly recommend going to Acadia if you have never been there. There is no other place in the world like it.

Make sure you get over to the "quite side" of Mount Desert. There is a great auto museum in Seal Cove that has a world class collection of cars from the brass era. If you are looking for a great place to stay, The Claremont Hotel is like stepping back to a simpler time. Check them out at http://www.theclaremonthotel.com

Grab a pizza and a bottle of wine in Bar Harbor and drive up Cadillac Mountain for sunset. There are some nice roads on the mainland side of the park around Gouldsboro and very little traffic.

One word of caution, watch out for deer especially around dusk.
      08-18-2009, 12:16 AM   #7
MTROIS
Major
France
Rep

Johnnyroaster, osteome and midlifecrisis,

Thanks a lot for the tips! We decided to go visit the Acadia Park so I will keep you posted on the outcome when we come back in a week or so.
      08-18-2009, 12:35 AM   #8
JohnnyRoaster
Captain
United_States
Rep

Cool, take lots of pictures and have a great time!
      08-25-2009, 07:02 AM   #9
MTROIS
Major
France
Rep

Guys,

I am just back from our vacations in Maine and especially Acadia National Park and the only thing I can say is WOAW!!!!

We did not always have perfect weather (lots of fog and clouds) but the environment is amazing with lots of nicely paved and curvy roads. I have a feeling that we will be back there to enjoy even more the trails, carriage roads and other lobster feasts.

Thanks again to all of you for the recommendations, I really appreciate it.
Attached Images

08-25-2009, 11:31 PM   #10
JohnnyRoaster
Captain
United_States
Rep

Maine has had one of the worst summers this year ever. I am happy to hear you had a good trip! Great picture.
      08-26-2009, 11:07 AM   #11
lyjw88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: C63S & X3MC

Acadia Nat'l Park is just amazing!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2009, 06:17 PM   #12
carrabassett786
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 11 328i

I live here 4 months a year, Gville the rest, but the weather this summer beats the book. Second frigging "tropical system" in two weeks today!

Last weekend it rained so hard, it set off my crash sensor and my car wouldn't start!

E90 328i Space Gray/Chestnut ZMP 2MF ZP2 ZV2 ZCV ZCW-washers HK SAT 3rd Pedal ED 2011.10.10
E90 325xi BSM/Terra ZSP ZPP ZCW Adaptive Xenons SAT 3rd pedal
Gone
E53 X5 3.0i Black Sapphire/Truffle ZPP ZCW ZRC Xenon Nav
Appreciate 0